Quantcast

is ticketmaster now managing the hospital industry?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i got a letter today from the hospital. it says i owe them $180 for amounts my insurance company claims i am responsible for. there was no detail or explanation of the amount due, just a request letter for money for services rendered from 10/18-10/31. i had been discharged as of 10/14, so i thought something smelled fishy.

one phone call to customer (dis)service revealed that the bill was for a "facility fee." as it turns out, the rehab facility i go to as an outpatient, is affiliated with the hospital where i was an "inpatient" and the hospital charges this fee in addition to the co-pay amount that i have already paid to the rehab facility. the girl at (dis)service said the hospital was due the money because they provide the facility i go to for my rehab (which is not on the hospital grounds).

i'm happy to be walking again, and willing to pay the people who helped me get here. however, this feels a bit like buying a plane ticket, then getting charged for baggage and meal fees, without getting my package checked for combustibles.
:rant::think::rant:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:thumbsdown:
While not surprising, still disappointing to hear. My hospital visits were shockingly hassle free, at least as far as all that insurance/billing crap went with provider and insurance. It was my employer that tried to fvck me on all that. :banghead: Good luck man, I'd fight that to the bitter end. Does your insurance or employer provide some kind of advocate or legal service? Might look into that to deal with these clowns.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I bet you regret the happy ending PT now, don't ya?

That sucks man......I've yet to have an ER visit the hospital hasn't tried to double-bill my insurance company and myself. Slimy fvcks.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
When I had my surgery years ago, I got billed $80 from an ortho firm in Cali. I was in TX and had insurance. I told them it was necessary for recovery and shouldn't have been billed 3rd party. I pointed out I had never heard of them and did not enter into a contract with them. As far as I know, you have to know about a company to do business with them. I told them to shove my bill up their ass and have my hospital bill me and to get their money from them. Never heard another word.

I love these stories. Thread title made me laugh.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The other great move is that the doctors bill for the treatment they give in the hospital apart from the bill the hospital facility sends, as the doctors are independent entities working at the hospital entity. Some of the doctors are covered and some are not, under my insurance. Bullisht! How does it make sense that I checked in to a hospital covered by my insurance, but some of the doctors at that hospital are "out of network"? None of the doctors ever asked me what insurance I had, nor was I given the option of checking if they were in my insurance network and given alternative options. Either the hospital is covered or it isn't, this kinda-sorta-sometimes business is weak.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Remember that our current system of for-profit insurance represents freedom, motherhood, and apple pie. If you don't support it wholeheartedly you're a ****in' commie.

[/Republican]

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There should be certain rules around if you work for a hospital that is in network, you are in network. That is ludicrious.

I still need to go through all of my medical bills from my epilepsy stays. I am getting runs of bills, but most were paid by my insurance already... Need to sort it out.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Word. Support healthcare reform. This nonsense can't go on.
You're in canuckistan now. shut your pie hole.

The reform we need is up front pricing, and fixed rates for emergency services (for used items, type of procedure, etc). Not being able to shop around your service based on px is stupid. Price transparency creates competition.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
The other great move is that the doctors bill for the treatment they give in the hospital apart from the bill the hospital facility sends, as the doctors are independent entities working at the hospital entity. Some of the doctors are covered and some are not, under my insurance. Bullisht! How does it make sense that I checked in to a hospital covered by my insurance, but some of the doctors at that hospital are "out of network"? None of the doctors ever asked me what insurance I had, nor was I given the option of checking if they were in my insurance network and given alternative options. Either the hospital is covered or it isn't, this kinda-sorta-sometimes business is weak.
I got caught out by that as well. I went so far as to call my insurance company to make sure the hospital that I went to was in-network (before seeking treatment for possibly broken fingers). Afterward I received a bill for out of network services (a few hundred dollars worth). After calling the insurance company they informed me that, although the hospital was in-network, the employees of the hospital were not. The insurance agent said that it made no sense and would elevate it to some higher level. My claim was denied and I still got stuck with the bill.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My friends Son is dying from cancer, his health insurance won't pay for the treatment. The system is seriously F'ed up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The reform we need is up front pricing, and fixed rates for emergency services (for used items, type of procedure, etc). Not being able to shop around your service based on px is stupid. Price transparency creates competition.
Please show me any evidence that this would actually lower prices without leading to worse outcomes, based on other countries' experience. Ideology is one thing. Using ideology to support policies that may lead directly or indirectly to people dying is another.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
all i have to say after my experience is FVCK the medical industry. i understand that i took alot of care. but the price they charge for food? jesus i was so drugged up i was barely eating anyway.
I work in the medical industry. it's not us, its the insurance companies. doctors/nurses/caregivers hate them too.

Remember that our current system of for-profit insurance represents freedom, motherhood, and apple pie. If you don't support it wholeheartedly you're a ****in' commie.

[/Republican]
god don't get me started on how fvcked the health insurance system is.