Quantcast

is weight a problem?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
My buddy picked up my bike the other night to get it out of his truck and mentioned how it weighs alot more than his...of course I was curious and dammm his is quite a bit less...he always out pedals me and usually I catch him on a downhill if it is long enough ..I kinda wonder how much faster and I could climb and keep rolling but after awhile I was thinking it would just make my legs stronger anyway no.!!!!!..

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
your question here isn't too detailed.

whats your bike, whats your buddy's bike. whats the actual weight difference. does your buddy have more muscle then you anyway?
details man!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If its an XC/ all mtn. bike, weight matters more.
If its a gravity sled it matters less.
If you are lighter/fit/more skilled than your buddy, it doesn't matter at all.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Not likely. If your bike is well suited for the type of riding you do, then you are fine. Even if it's a heavy build and you are schleping around a few extra lbs, what's the big deal? Now, if you're trying to huff a DH bike up a bunch of XC trails (with typical XC climbing), then yea, it's an issue. But at that point, suspension efficiency, travel, and geometry is as big, if not a bigger problem than weight.

Ride more, worry less. If it's that big of a deal, lose a few lbs yourself (off your person, not yoru bike). You'll be faster, healthier and richer because you didn't spend all that money on lighter parts.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
DHS said:
your question here isn't too detailed.

whats your bike, whats your buddy's bike. whats the actual weight difference. does your buddy have more muscle then you anyway?
details man!
sorry.. I guess the question mark makes it a question huh...I meant it more for discussion and opinion than a question...

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
jacksonpt said:
Ride more, worry less. If it's that big of a deal, lose a few lbs yourself (off your person, not yoru bike). You'll be faster, healthier and richer because you didn't spend all that money on lighter parts.
WOW that is kinda of a shot....we did not all lose a couple pounds recently you know....ha..ha..ha....just f#%$ with you...there was alot of weight jokes between me and my friend that night ..he says that is why I catch him on downhill sections....if you can't screw with your friends who can you screw with...if I wanted to get real picky think of how much H20 weighs...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ktmsx said:
WOW that is kinda of a shot....we did not all lose a couple pounds recently you know....ha..ha..ha....just f#%$ with you...there was alot of weight jokes between me and my friend that night ..he says that is why I catch him on downhill sections....if you can't screw with your friends who can you screw with...if I wanted to get real picky think of how much H20 weighs...
good - cause I didn't mean it to be a shot (wasn't implying you were fat)... just saying that it's often easier (and always cheaper) to lose body weight than bike weight.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Bike weight is an issue, but I like to point out if your bike weighs 5 lbs more than your friends, but you are overweight by 20 lbs....

On the other hand, you could cut weight on your bike by getting lighter components. Tires, wheels, saddle and cassette are my list in order.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
jacksonpt said:
good - cause I didn't mean it to be a shot (wasn't implying you were fat)... just saying that it's often easier (and always cheaper) to lose body weight than bike weight.
true but sometimes takes for fun out of it.:)

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
sanjuro said:
Bike weight is an issue, but I like to point out if your bike weighs 5 lbs more than your friends, but you are overweight by 20 lbs....

On the other hand, you could cut weight on your bike by getting lighter components. Tires, wheels, saddle and cassette are my list in order.
new or newer bike coming soon....that is what made me think of the whole weight thing again..