Quantcast

Is Windrock only open on weekends?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Can it be ridden during the week? Date for trip is the week of May 10 if it makes any difference. Would like to get more than two days riding in if possible.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
what a waste of a thread...you couldn't just post that question in one of the five other active Windrock threads??? :(

Quite being a boner!

Windrock is open 24/7 :)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Salami said:
Thank you!!!

The guys will be very happy to hear this!

Now the question is, can I survive 3-4 days riding there? :think:
No.
And this has nothing to do with skill level.
If you ride Windrock hard two days in a row, you will not want to look at your bike for a few days.
And that's good, because that is normally how long it takes for your spare parts to get in.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I have naive question.

Windrock is open 7 days a week, does this mean the shuttle road is also open 7 days ?

This will be my first trip there and I am not quite sure how things work there.

Thanks for the help!!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Jeremy R said:
No.
And this has nothing to do with skill level.
If you ride Windrock hard two days in a row, you will not want to look at your bike for a few days.
And that's good, because that is normally how long it takes for your spare parts to get in.

I figure it must be quite hard on the body and the bike. I imagine both the upper and lower body must take quite a beating.

I guess I will get some extra derailluer hangers now.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Salami said:
I have naive question.

Windrock is open 7 days a week, does this mean the shuttle road is also open 7 days ?

This will be my first trip there and I am not quite sure how things work there.

Thanks for the help!!

The best option is to come on the weekend when some locals are there. We will be more than happy to share the precious. That way you can get familar with the trail layout and then you can go nuts.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Salami said:
I figure it must be quite hard on the body and the bike. I imagine both the upper and lower body must take quite a beating.

I guess I will get some extra derailluer hangers now.

You might want to get a bike first, no? :eviltongu :nope: :eviltongu

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
The plan is to ride there Sat & Sun (14-15) but the group I am going with said they had so much fun last fall they would really like to get in an extra day or two. They said two days wasn't enough. They rode there twice last year so they should have a tiny idea of how to get around.

We have to head home Monday the 16th so we can't stay later. The idea was to ride maybe Thurs-Sun or Fri-Sun.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
You might want to get a bike first, no? :eviltongu :nope: :eviltongu

Bite me!!! :eviltongu

I will have a bike by then but it may not be the one I have on order now if I have to wait much longer.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Salami said:
The plan is to ride there Sat & Sun (14-15) but the group I am going with said they had so much fun last fall they would really like to get in an extra day or two. They said two days wasn't enough. They rode there twice last year so they should have a tiny idea of how to get around.

We have to head home Monday the 16th so we can't stay later. The idea was to ride maybe Thurs-Sun or Fri-Sun.
There are quite a few changes since last year.

The biggest thing to keep in perspective is to TAKE it easy. You can get in over your head rather quickly on these trails due to the steepness. 99 out of 100 things can be ridden by most Expert level guys and 75/100 can be ridden by most Sport level guys so its not the gnar factor, but the terrain can be very unforgiving. If you get hurt because you're pushing yourself too hard then you can't ride and thats no fun. Thats what the body armor provides, a longer ride time. There aren't a bunch of XC trails to goof off on. Snakerock is about as "easy" as it gets, but even that trail is demanding and has quite a few gotchas. So take a easy pace and enjoy the trails for sure, but weekends are the way to go. I did 11 runs the other day and not once did I put out 100%, so I was able to make a long day of it. However I was useless the next day.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
can't help it...I'm apecker wood by nature. Oh, and you might want to bring fresh brake pads. Me, JeremyR and Spoke80 have all put in a full day there without a derailleur. Bloch actually got ticked one time cause my fat butt stuck with him on the steeps without one....

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
Found this photo on the littermag website. Is that Herndon in the top right hand corner? I think its him b/c of the boxxer he's riding on... with the gold stachions and burgondy lowers

I posted this here because I was afraid to get harrassed by Butch :nuts:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My parents live between Oliver Springs and Harriman on Whetstone mtn. and I'm coming down in June to help my Dad build a barn and hang out. So, okay, I have a stupid question too. I have a hard tail, fairly nice, more of a trail bike, and definately not a DH machine. Are there any trails at Windrock I can ride where I will not have my ass handed to me on a plate?

The old Cumberland trail runs through the 'rents back yard. Its a decent hike a bike DH with miles of illicit 4wheel trails. I can always ride there or Haw Ridge I suppose.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: Whoops - never mind:

profro said:
There aren't a bunch of XC trails to goof off on.

B

bigkonarider

You can get away with riding a hardtail if really setup for DH. But it won't be a pleasant experience "in my opinion" !
Go to Bigfoot on a hardtail !

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
I would ride 90% of hte stuff at Windrock on my hardtail, but I don't have to. Maybe I will take it for a run or two this year to have some fun.
90%, awesome I want follow you when you do. :eek:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
bigkonarider said:
You can get away with riding a hardtail if really setup for DH. But it won't be a pleasant experience "in my opinion" !
Go to Bigfoot on a hardtail !
Its a soul cycles titan with a sherman flick. Its fairly burly but not "uber burl." Where's Bigfoot? I haven't been home to ride in years and years...

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
when i went last weekend, i did maybe 8 runs and could not lift an arm the next day. but that could just be cuz i'm out of shape..man i gotta get in shape.