Quantcast

Is your comfort and sanity worth $743.74 on a credit card?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I hate heat. I mean, BIG TIME hate heat. I'm just not able to deal with it. I am basically going to be living in my vehicle this summer for work, and the AC doesn't work. It is going to cost $743.74 to fix it. I don't have the money, I jus' has' an AMEX.

It is way hotter so far this summer than it was last summer, and I am afraid it is just going to get worse.

Worth it?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would, but I would pay it off as quickly as possible. It may not be worth it if it will take you all summer to pay off

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I hate heat. I mean, BIG TIME hate heat. I'm just not able to deal with it. I am basically going to be living in my vehicle this summer for work, and the AC doesn't work. It is going to cost $743.74 to fix it. I don't have the money, I jus' has' an AMEX.

It is way hotter so far this summer than it was last summer, and I am afraid it is just going to get worse.

Worth it?
A) Where are you located?
B) Does your left hand have enough strength to roll down the window?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm in Virginia, and my left hand can roll down all 4 windows at once :) Problem is, hot air blowing through, does not cool you off. Also, I get a lot of work phone calls while driving, headset+wind = :dead:

And then there is the most important, if I am driving my wife around, she complains that the wind messes up her hair :rolleyes:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
We lived in the 757 for a couple years.

A summer without ac would make me want to end myself in the car.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Just get a kiddy pool and throw it in the back and fill it up with ice water.

Hop in in between jobs.

Much cheaper.
I think I might do that. Yeah..... I'll do that!

(Only problem I foresee is the tongue weight of my trailer, coupled with the kiddie pool = wheels fall off on the highway. It'd probably be worth it though!)

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I hate the heat too. I just spent 6K on a complete new A/C system for the house...and it rarely gets hot here.

Do it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wifes car went out last year and they want $1500 to replace the pump (mostly labor due to location) and I aint payin' it. I haven't had a vehicle with AC since about '94.

Windows down, rollin'.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
get somebody else to check it out. they might fix it for cheaper, especially since AC is relatively easy to fix. It's either the compressor, the condenser, or it needs a charge/has leaks. There are also places that specialize in that crap, so it may be cheapest to take it to them. AC is one of those systems that people just don't get, so they just shrug and say fix it even if the problem is easily repairable.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.......don't get me started on firestone. I once paid 40 bucks just to get my car back from them after they "fixed" it...during which they quoted me $240, and did nothing. The car had an unrelated problem and ran fine despite their estimate of the problem. I hate them, and would never let anyone I know take my car to any of their shops, nor would I let them buy their tires. Sorry for the rant.

Seriously though, see if somebody else can take a look at it, especially if it's for free. You may even try a refill kit from autozone/etc. They cost about 60 bucks and include three cans of refridgerant. I refilled a 1987 chrysler system that had been sitting for several years, and it worked fine. Not the coldest, but I only used two cans and it probably needed all three. They include red dye so you can see if there are any leaks. If you want it to freeze your toes off, you should probably go for replacing the dryer and everything, but I had good luck with just the fresh charge.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Worth it?
Thats actually not too bad of a price for AC work when the system is not working at all. Sounds like your getting a line replaced, a new drier and maybe a couple other small items.

I have done six AC jobs this last week ranging from 700 to 1600 dollars. Biggest reason teh repairs get like this, is due to not having a service done on a regular basis, You should be getting an Evac and recharge service done about every two years. Shold be in the area of about 150. Do that and you will remove Acid build up, moisture, and replace the ever so small amounts of refrigerant that your losing through your schrader valves.

My normal customers are doing this, and There systems have ben working great since they started it, I have been working for the same shop not for seven years, so I can follow some of them to see for sure.

One more thing you should know about 134A systems, If they lose 5% of there refrigerant, then the Oil in the system stops flowing, so your comporessor runs just on teh oil that stays in it. It never gets oil that gets cooled or filtered by the drier, and the acid will build up inside teh compressor pretty fast, eating the front seal up. Bad part about that is that at 5% loss, it still blows cold, so you wont think there is a problem.

Get your car fixed, then in about two years, have a basic AC service done. Should make the system last damn near forverer

Oh P.M me with the details if you want a comparision price. Parts, Vehicle make and model, year...ETC Then youll know if your really getting a good deal or not

EDIT. I just saw where your getting a new condensor and a Drier..... Gimme your Year Make and Model, I will get you a comparision price

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I may get another opinion, but those cost $40!

According to Firestone, it's the condenser and dryer + recharge
DO NOT GET ANY WORK DONE AT FIRESTONE!!!

There is one close to where I work, I called and made an appointment for an oil change. I was quoted one price over the phone, a much higher price once I got there and, when I complained about the higher price, I was quoted a different price altogether! This was within 30 minutes - I looked behind the counter for posted pricing and noted they had none visible. Poor business model. :monkey:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Hey BigMike, those Prices were pretty clost to right on. Our shop, with the different labor rates would actually come in about 70 dollars more

Thanks man!

DO NOT GET ANY WORK DONE AT FIRESTONE!!!

There is one close to where I work, I called and made an appointment for an oil change. I was quoted one price over the phone, a much higher price once I got there and, when I complained about the higher price, I was quoted a different price altogether! This was within 30 minutes - I looked behind the counter for posted pricing and noted they had none visible. Poor business model. :monkey:
I have dealt with this Firestone a bunch, and they are pretty good people. I've gotten both of my cars worked on there, and they are pretty good with price quotes.