Quantcast

IS41 top cover

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I need a low stack height headset upper bearing cover in order to #slamthatstem. I have an IS41 integrated headset, outside measures 45mm. I believe that this is what I need, but I don't need the bearing nor compression washer as my headset works fine. Can I get away with something like this or this? I don't really need nor want to spend $15 on a carbon top cover, but it seems like I can't get a cheap one without a bearing I don't need. Will either of those solutions work?

is this a thing that an LBS might carry? Happy to give them the biz if so, but I am so tired of them not having what I need.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
cane creek makes an IS41 slamset. which seems to have a lower stack height than the FSA one you linked. you can buy just the upper headset, but i don't think you can buy just the top cover alone.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cane creek makes an IS41 slamset. which seems to have a lower stack height than the FSA one you linked. you can buy just the upper headset, but i don't think you can buy just the top cover alone.
Thanks, I didn’t know those existed. I don’t think I can take advantage of that on my frame because it has a bit of a tumor sticking out the front. Still, dropping from 20mm to 8mm will be useful.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Looking still? I may have an actual 'Slam That Stem' dust cover. Has no stack to it other than the intended purpose.

Going to require you to pickup the .25mm FSA stem spacers on your own.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Looking still? I may have an actual 'Slam That Stem' dust cover. Has no stack to it other than the intended purpose.

Going to require you to pickup the .25mm FSA stem spacers on your own.
I ended up buying an Fsa short cover on eBay. It seems to work tho I don’t love it and had to run a spacer to get it right. If you’re looking to unload yours I’d happily take it, but with the nose cone on the frame I’m not sure how much lower I can get without running a spacer.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
I ended up buying an Fsa short cover on eBay. It seems to work tho I don’t love it and had to run a spacer to get it right. If you’re looking to unload yours I’d happily take it, but with the nose cone on the frame I’m not sure how much lower I can get without running a spacer.
Look it over. .25mm stem spacers only get used to clear the slight radius of the top cap - there's no rubber seal and it can drag ontop of the headtube, depending. I may have a handful still.
Will get it all in the mail to you this week.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Look it over. .25mm stem spacers only get used to clear the slight radius of the top cap - there's no rubber seal and it can drag ontop of the headtube, depending. I may have a handful still.
Will get it all in the mail to you this week.
Yeah, when I first installed it, the cap was not turning while the steerer was. With the spacer it's working fine, but I need to check clearance and make sure there's not too much of a gap. The new cap has a seal around the outside while the old one was just metal, but being that they are both from FSA I'm surprised they didn't have the same dimensions.

Let me know if you want any cash for it or if you want me to send it back if I don't end up using it. It may spare me from having to use the wacky FSA drop stem.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
The stem will be lower, it's no more than 2mm in thickness. Be sure to fit a good expander since there's no longer the ability to retain deflection above the bearing - basically anything but a lightweight road-type.