Quantcast

ISCG 05 - Is it in use yet?

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Is the ISCG 05 standard being used accross the industry yet? I don't see guides specified as to which they're meant for, so I'm not entirely sure.
DW, maybe you can shed some light on this one?

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Spitfired said:
Is the ISCG 05 standard being used accross the industry yet? I don't see guides specified as to which they're meant for, so I'm not entirely sure.
DW, maybe you can shed some light on this one?

For 2006 the following companies will use ISCG05 tabs

Trek
Iron Horse (has been using them since 2005)
Devinci
Intense (gradual change over)
Cannondale (new DH bike)
Haro
DMR

More to come....

Michael

e.thirteen

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
My million dollar question.........

Is ISCG 05 chain guides and such work with previous bikes with ISCG tabs? Or is it something all on it's own?

I'm just curious, if my bike has current ISCG tabs, will something that is "speced for ISCG 2005" work on it?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
You would have to run an adapter to fit ISCG05 on an older frame mount, as the new mounting circle is a larger diameter. 74mm, I believe?
e13 would be silly not to make one...

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
in the trees said:
I read that the new '06 version of the Ventana/Go-Ride El Ceurvo was going to use them, too.

toby

That would be awesome. I was hoping they would change over.
Chain of events -
I spoke to Chris Van Dine, Ventana's top gravity rider, about this traveling back and forth to the MSA World Cup. I told him about the benefits of using the real standard.
I then spoke to Ventana about this at Interbike with Chris Van Dine.
Sherwood sees the need for a true standard and values his pro athletes feedback.

That would be awesome if Sherwood uses it. As a high end frame manufacturer it will make sense for him to make the transition.

thanks for the heads up. I will check into this as well.

Michael

e.thirteen

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i might be going nuts but looks like the demos are comming with them as well. although these might be mrp specific or something just to piss me off. lol

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
zahgurim said:
You would have to run an adapter to fit ISCG05 on an older frame mount, as the new mounting circle is a larger diameter. 74mm, I believe?
e13 would be silly not to make one...

I disagree.

Actually, the issue of the old ISCG pattern is that is just that, it is not a standard. The pattern does not call for a clear clocking from the rear axle. ISCG05 standard does.

What does this mean? Several frame manufacturers have produced frames with several varying OLD ISCG pattern clockings, whether it be 30 degrees clock wise to 20 degrees farther counterclockwise... etc.
Why? because the prints at iscg.com are not clear enough.

So it will be impossible to make an adapter plate for OLD ISCG pattern to fit to an ISCG05 standard back plate.

One of the main reasons for ISCG05 was to create a true standard. this true standard was developed by several frame and component companies including NORCO, Cannondale, Truvativ, MRP, RaceFace, e.thirteen....
The standard will also allow for proper set up by frame builders... meaning no guess work!
The ISCG05 standard will work with BMX, Euro, stnadard and ISIS Overdrive BB shells.

go to www.iscg05.com. All of this info can be found here.

Michael

e.thirteen

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I prefer ISCG'05 (which I have on my sunday) primarily because it allows more clearance for external bearing bb's.
I had to do a bit of dremeling to get the iscg guide to fit over the bearing cup's on my enduro.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
sooo.... just out of curiousity are all the frames previously listed actually running ICGS05 tabs.
Trek
Devinci
Cannondale (new DH bike)
Haro
DMR

More to come...
and any additions / deletions to that list.

BTW the ICGS05 website ist kaput
as well as the onepointfive.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
07 Norco runs both. Pretty simple, the plate just has two sets of holes offset slightly to make room. Now we are talking! Its how it always should have been.

I'm yet to see a US BMX bb with ISCG05 tabs...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
So what's the advantage of any ISCG at all? Why not just do BB mount chainguides? Frames and chainguides won't break when the lower roller hits the ground or a rock, the guide will usually just rotate, at least in my experience. Heck, my Gamut fit just fine on my external bearing Howitized BB, and several times it hit the ground and rotated.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So what's the advantage of any ISCG at all?
The only one I see is tighter chainline. I have to run a couple spacers to kick the crank out far enough to clear the guide w/ the BB adapter setup(Cove/E13/Saint). This means fewer threads supporting the BB cup, not a good thing, but it hasn't caused me any problems yet.

Running the ISCG tabs mean the cranks can usually be run with no spacers, providing the most "inboard' chainline possible...I think

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
For 2006 the following companies will use ISCG05 tabs

Trek
Devinci
Cannondale (new DH bike)
Haro
DMR

More to come....

Michael

e.thirteen

you forgot yeti as well..the 4x frame

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The only one I see is tighter chainline. I have to run a couple spacers to kick the crank out far enough to clear the guide w/ the BB adapter setup(Cove/E13/Saint). This means fewer threads supporting the BB cup, not a good thing, but it hasn't caused me any problems yet.

Running the ISCG tabs mean the cranks can usually be run with no spacers, providing the most "inboard' chainline possible...I think
An e.thirteen guide will set up with the same chainline for either ISCG or ISCG05, an industry leading chainline narrowness of 49.5 with a flush to BB mount ISCG/05 mount I might add.

Dave

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
An e.thirteen guide will set up with the same chainline for either ISCG or ISCG05, an industry leading chainline narrowness of 49.5 with a flush to BB mount ISCG/05 mount I might add.

Dave
So I'd need BB spacers to get the crank to clear the guide even bolting the boomerang directly to the tabs?

It doesn't really matter since there are no tabs on the Shocker anyway and my last frame had them clocked wrong (M1)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So what's the advantage of any ISCG at all? Why not just do BB mount chainguides? Frames and chainguides won't break when the lower roller hits the ground or a rock, the guide will usually just rotate, at least in my experience. Heck, my Gamut fit just fine on my external bearing Howitized BB, and several times it hit the ground and rotated.
One major advantage is that you don't need to remove cranks and BB to make positioning adjustments. Such as when you hit it and it rotates like you mention....

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
One major advantage is that you don't need to remove cranks and BB to make positioning adjustments. Such as when you hit it and it rotates like you mention....
Well if you'd hit it more often it would rotate easier...

I always could twist my bb mount guide back into place by just tuggin on it. My ISCG guides require pounding on the roller with a rock to get it out of the chainstay (but it requires something pretty stupid to get it there in the first place).

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
you forgot yeti as well..the 4x frame
Hey buddy, I never claimed I know all the models, just naming a few. :)

Other frames that use the performance standard -
Knolly (i think all of them do?)
Santa Cruz (V10, VP Free, Bullit)
Versus (select models)
Commencal (will on new 08 models)
Lapierre (will on new 08 models)
Intense (new DH frame will)

Please note that this is not a complete list.

Michael
e.thirteen

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
My ISCG guides require pounding on the roller with a rock to get it out of the chainstay (but it requires something pretty stupid to get it there in the first place).
Dont be so hard on yourself :)

Hey, what can you do, I mean, we ride our bikes in a rock, log, and other immovable obstacle strewn environment. At some point you are going to smash your guide into something, and by Murphy's Law, usually during your race run... :)

To answer the poster's question, I belive that ISCG05 is found on more bikes than ISCG at this point. It certainly is stronger and lighter.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I use allen keys.
Dont be so hard on yourself :)

Hey, what can you do, I mean, we ride our bikes in a rock, log, and other immovable obstacle strewn environment. At some point you are going to smash your guide into something, and by Murphy's Law, usually during your race run... :)
It's only happened a few times, and when I don't have allen keys. By "something stupid" I mean like trying to ride over a picnic bench while drunk (its really, really hard.. wear your helmet kids).

It's actually surprising how durable those LG-1's are considering how little there is of them.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Why did the bolt pattern spacing have to change with the conversion between ISCG and ISCG05? Why wasnt the regular ISCG standard updated and edited to accomidate for the proper clocking in regards to the rear axle/whatever is used..That way instead of having to make all new chainguides, and BB shells, everything would work.

It just seems sort of assinine to me to make use of a larger bolt pattern to adapt to a completley defunct and obsolete bb standard(s)...(american isnt coming back...ever) or basically defunct ISIS overdrive standard. I guess once everything is converted its not going to matter as much (besides having to weld tabs on some frames rather then machining a one peice bb).

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
The bolt pattern needed to get wider to make room for external bb's. I had to dremel the crap out of the guide on my non-iscg'05 guide to get it to clear the bb bearings.

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Why did the bolt pattern spacing have to change with the conversion between ISCG and ISCG05? Why wasnt the regular ISCG standard updated and edited to accomidate for the proper clocking in regards to the rear axle/whatever is used..That way instead of having to make all new chainguides, and BB shells, everything would work.

It just seems sort of assinine to me to make use of a larger bolt pattern to adapt to a completley defunct and obsolete bb standard(s)...(american isnt coming back...ever) or basically defunct ISIS overdrive standard. I guess once everything is converted its not going to matter as much (besides having to weld tabs on some frames rather then machining a one peice bb).

ISCG05 Standard vs. ISCG old pattern.
Advantages of ISCG05
1) it is standard and it is a living document
2) the standard accounts for the rear axle so tab orientation is set. It is not an approximate 'let me put the tab riiiiiight here today' orientation
3) tab BCD transmits half the impact as the old pattern. this means the tabs are twice as strong = fewer failed tabs = fewer stripped threads = more time on bike
4) stronger back plate b/c spacer between center hole and counter sunk slots is greater
5) tab mount distance from BB is set - allow for easier installation
6) wider stance = wider platform for the back plate = lighter backplate
plus
other reasons .....

Michael
e.thirteen