Quantcast

ISCG Standards?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
ISCG confuses me. I have an ISCG e.13 DRS, which does not fit my 2011 Yeti 575. It is too small.

I am now trying to find an ISCG model which does fit my new Yeti, but I am finding multiple standards?

Beyond the fact that the bike industry is partially retarded for having so many damn "standards":rant:, can anyone please tell new which ISCG standard I need to fit on a 2011 575?

Thanks
Mark

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Your 575 is ISCG 05. Your chainguide must be ISCG, since there are only two ISCG standards.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Your chainguide must be ISCG, since there are only two ISCG standards.

there are only 2 standards, but also be aware that certain frame designs (often those with an oversize or dropped chainstay / swingarm) required the older E13 chain device to use a "wide angle" backplate - for example the old Specialized SX Trail (pre 2009)

thankfully the current "+" E13 models have a 3-position adjustable back plate to fit pretty much anything on the market, as long as you get the ISCG OLD or ISCG 05 decision right

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I thought the change in BCD in '05 was to improve the resistance to spinning. ISCG was made a standard and then they decided it wasn't ideal. I don't think bikes come with old ISCG mounts anymore.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Your chainguide must be ISCG, since there are only two ISCG standards.

there are only 2 standards, but also be aware that certain frame designs (often those with an oversize or dropped chainstay / swingarm) required the older E13 chain device to use a "wide angle" backplate - for example the old Specialized SX Trail (pre 2009)

thankfully the current "+" E13 models have a 3-position adjustable back plate to fit pretty much anything on the market, as long as you get the ISCG OLD or ISCG 05 decision right
learn to us the "quote" button. its magical

Don't Trek Sessions still come with ISCG old?
yes, and?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Lots of bikes still use iscg old. I never really understood the ne need for 05.
The suggestion that 05 was more suited to taco is false IMO

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I thought the change in BCD in '05 was to improve the resistance to spinning. ISCG was made a standard and then they decided it wasn't ideal. I don't think bikes come with old ISCG mounts anymore.
I was under the impression the change from ISCG Old to ISCG05 was to make a standard that could also be used for BMX sized bottom brackets?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I was under the impression the change from ISCG Old to ISCG05 was to make a standard that could also be used for BMX sized bottom brackets?
When it first came into use, that's what I read as well.

From the ISCG 05 website:

ISCG 05 was developed by the engineers at e.thirteen components with support and feedback from members of the ISCG 05 consortium. Its conception was the result of several years of the bicycle industry using the original ISCG standards, pioneered by a cooperative effort between Bob Barnett (Mr. Dirt) and Mountainspeed. The original ISCG was a huge success but was originally planned to fit only standard bottom bracket types. With the widespread use of BMX type bottom brackets and the introduction of the ISIS Overdrive standard, a new chainguide mounting standard was needed.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Lots of bikes still use iscg old. I never really understood the ne need for 05.
The suggestion that 05 was more suited to taco is false IMO
Giant is ISCG old but its clocked waay wrong. Many guides don't fit well.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Iirc, giant did that to force usage of their guide. At least they did on the old single pivot DH.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Giant is ISCG old but its clocked waay wrong. Many guides don't fit well.
This is one of the primary reasons for iscg05. ISCG old wasn't a true standard in that it lacked any sort of clocking reference for the tabs. MANY companies couldn't get it right. iscg05 gets rid of these problems, and allows the use of bigger BBs.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
There is certainly "clocking" standards now for the (03) ICGS standard - I am guessing this was produced in 2003 hence the 03 standard? Before that the ICSG was not defined the pitch circle diameter for mounting?

The only other element that can catch people of guard is the offset of the mount from being flush with the edge of the BB...

There are quite amount of bikes that come compatible for both 03 and 05..

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I'll throw my thoughts in as well. If anyone wants to skim over the following link, it certainly helps.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226634

The DRS you have is most likely ISCG-OLD...which is also bottom bracket mountable. If you take off the inner ridge on the backplate, you could probably get it to clear your ISCG-05 tabs. Of course, we do also have ISCG-05 specific DRS backplates.

As far as ISCG standards...there are only two that are in use right now.
  • ISCG/ISCG-03/ISCG-OLD/ISCG-RevB are the same
  • ISCG-05

There was also an ISCG-RevA...but you would only find that on 2000 to 2002ish era frames...fairly rare that many are left in commission.

Giant, Trek, and Specialized predominately use the ISCG-OLD standard (although the 2011 Demo DOES have ISCG-05...I wouldn't be surprised to see other models follow). For the most part, the big 3 have enough resources to make the ISCG-OLD tabs on their frames robust enough for their intended use.

Back in the day, many frame makers simply spot welded tabs on. The result of this was a huge variance of tab rotations, tab offset, etc that made things quite difficult to install a chainguide without a dremel and a new pack of cutting wheels. There is also a huge strength difference between spot welded versus full welded...anyone out there with fully welded tabs shouldn't worry too much.

Anyways, the ISCG-05 standard was designed with more input from more industry folk...rotation is set by rear axle (like a rear derailleur would be), tab offset is defined (2.5mm or 0mm), the Bolt Circle Diameter is large enough to work comfortably with BB30 size bearings, Tab thickness minimums are defined for both common grades of aluminum and steel, and several other ideas that generally make things stronger and less of a hassle for installation and long term durability.

With BB30 and Pressfit30 catching on (bigger bearings...whohoo!), I wouldn't be surprised to see more companies following the example set by the 2011 Demo8.

Anyways, if anyone wants to discuss ISCG stuff in general, just email me. If you have any doubts as to what ISCG standard you have...you can measure the distance between the bolt holes fairly easily with any ruler.

Cheers,
philip @ theHive/e*thirteen

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
ISCG old e*13 SRS guides are not very compatible w/ the e*13 cranks. As stated earlier the BB cups interfere w/ the backplate.

I had to remove about 1.3mm of material fromt the backside of the BB cup to get the guide to sit in the right spot. e*13 SRS+ (iscg old), e*13 dh cranks, Specialized SX trail. I hope she holds!

ISCG old needs to go away.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
. . . ISCG old wasn't a true standard in that it lacked any sort of clocking reference for the tabs . . .
. . .There is certainly "clocking" standards now for the (03) ICGS standard . . .
You're both kind of right. There has always been a clocking protocol for ISCG-Old, but it's based on a horizontal line drawn across the center of the BB, so it's hard to really call it anything approaching 'standard'. When you raise or lower the front end of your bike via various fork/headset combos (or do the same to the rear via a 24" or 26" wheel (viva la 90's!)), that horizontal line changes and you start to get some weird chain guide issues.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the old website.
http://www.iscg.org/INTL_STD_MTG_LOCATIONS.pdf

Enjoy!