Quantcast

ISIS / GIGA drive/ Octalink - the same?

mccett

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Sorry for the stupid question but i'm a bit old school and have always used square taper BBs with Middleburn RS7s (what? says all the overseas viewers - they're british and strong!).

Anyway, new frame (Demo 8) comes with a Truvativ ISIS Giga Drive BB so i figured i might get into the 21st century and get some new cranks but am confused by the new BB shapes...(apologies if they arent that new, i've been away a while)

I think ISIS and ISIS Giga drive might be the same and just a name Truvativ give their ISIS cranks, but octalink?? I see Shimano use those as well... is this as well as ISIS?

AAARRGGHH! :help:

Please Help - i want to build my bike! cheers
Mc

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
If I am correct, I do believe the ISIS and Octalink are different.

I think ISIS and ISIS giga are the same.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
chicodude01 said:
If I am correct, I do believe the ISIS and Octalink are different.

Yep, they are different.

There are two kinds of octalink(1 & 2). The owner of the LBS told me that Octalink 1 is only for older xtr and the rest of shimano uses octalink 2.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Octalink is different than ISIS and is Shimano's propriatary take on a splined interface. Different spindle size, different spline pattern...

I'm sure Truvativ's website will tell you what "Giga Drive" is, I've never heard of it.

mccett

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Cheers guys, that helps a lot. ISIS = everyone else. Octalink = Shimano being awkward. No change there since i've been away from the sport!

Off to find some nice cranks now.

Thanks a lot.
Mc

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
I read an article about a year ago that Shimano was asked to be part of the ISIS program but did not want anything to do with it. I think that if Shimano became part of it, it would be alot better for us! Just a thought.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
They are both different but very much the same. Having multiple contact points on the arms. I don't think octilink needs such a tight taper fit like ISIS cranks do.

I think you'll see Shimano stick with the external BB idea as well as Truvativ and Raceface. That idea sloves problems that have plagued bikes for years. You haven't seen a Saint crank snap yet, or any other of those external BB deals. They might have to work out some bugs on the bearings and such but that's not a biggy. I like that idea a load better than the current ones.

J

JRB

The giga may have a bigger spindle, which means a smaller bearing. I can't wait for the fsa exo isis to come out. Should be next month. I've had several failures or loose spindle/bearing interfaces with truvativ giga pipe sls.