Quantcast

ISIS standard?

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
I was wondering if there is a published ISIS design standard, for crank/bb manufacturers to follow, with dimensions etc.

I've found details including dimensions etc for ISCG mountrs, but not for ISIS

thanks

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SOil said:
ISIS is hardly old tech...
Yes it is, you dont think the outboard stuff will totally replace it soon? There is no reason to run isis. No advantage...unless you like loose cranks :thumb: :mumble:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SOil said:
There's nothing like a useful post is there...
What are you talking about?

hahhaha, maybe read this:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126088

while the thread is about cranks there is alot of bb talk in there...it is pretty representative of the industry direction. I dont think anyone would argue with me in the fact that isis is on its way out, outboard is...well..."in" :thumb:

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
I'm really not sure what you are on about...

I'm fully aware of the use of ISIS spline and other interfaces used in the past and present, having worked in the bike industry for several years.

The reason I was looking for the design standards, is because we are considering manufacturing (isis) cranks, hence needing the engineering drawings for the ISIS drive standard, in order to model them.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Do a google search. The engineering drawings are out there for free download.

ISIS has it's issues. Mainly short bearing life. The form of the spline works, however, the size of the spindle requires that the bearings be very small.
This shouldn't affect crank manufactures though. I suspect we will se more of the Truvative approach. They have a new ISIS BB with outboard bearings. They aren't reverse compatible with thier old cranks, but it's a step in the right direction.