Quantcast

ISO advice : freelancing, working out of the house

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So I think it's time I start getting serious about it.

I've done plenty of freelancing, but nowhere near enough to have an actual company, brand, stationery, etc.

On business cards, etc, should I put my home address, at least to start? Should I require, as policy, a substantial deposit (25, 50%?) or would that chase clients away?

Are there companies dedicated to doing bookkeeping, accounting, accounts RECEIVABLES, etc for very small businesses? One thing that's held me back from doing it for real is the whole AR... I've had 'clients' stiff me before, but I had a full-time gig, so fock 'em. But if I eventually quit my job, I can't let even one client slide.

Any advice is appreciated :)

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My wife is a freelance photog/graphic artist/designer. She doesn't list our address on anything. Just her cell, email addy and website. She works by the hour and doesn't require a deposit and fortunately no one has walked without paying.

She uses a program called "MYOB" for her bookkeeping stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would steer clear of putting your personal address on business cards, etc. Get a PO box. They're not terribly expensive and will help prevent crazy people from knowing where you live.

Just my $.02

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
My wife is a freelance photog/graphic artist/designer. She doesn't list our address on anything. Just her cell, email addy and website. She works by the hour and doesn't require a deposit and fortunately no one has walked without paying.

She uses a program called "MYOB" for her bookkeeping stuff.
Thanks!
...and will help prevent crazy people from knowing where you live.
that is my concern. We are unlisted in every way we can be.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
My .02 as a small business owner (contractor).

- get a PO box for a business address. There's no reason to put your home address out there.

- I always take a 25% deposit at start of job. On larger jobs I'll take progress payments to make sure labor and materials are covered in case of a slow payer.

For your work, I would want some $ before showing them ideas they can poach.

- You can do your own day to day accounting. Get Quicken/Quickbooks, easy to use.

- An AR firm won't be able to get money from a late-payer any easier than you and low overhead is a blessing. Detailed estimate/change order forms/invoices and clear communication limit money issues for the most part.

- Get a professional accountant for taxes.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I use blinksale for invoicing and just put my expenses and earnings in an excel spreadsheet. Much simpler than learning Quickbooks which is overkill for most one-person operations and my accountant says my system is just fine.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I work from our home (Landscape Designer), and I only list cell and e-maill address on my business cards. My letterhead, envelopes, and invoices have my home address. I've never asked for an initial up-front payment but I don't think it's typical for my line of work. Most of my clients have paid on-time without any problems. I did have to pester one client last summer for an invoice that was almost 2 months overdue - a pain-in-the-ass.:disgust:

toby

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
On business cards, etc, should I put my home address, at least to start? Should I require, as policy, a substantial deposit (25, 50%?) or would that chase clients away?
Go with a PO Box or if you will be receiving packages use a drop like Mailboxes Etc. as they can sign for packages

Are there companies dedicated to doing bookkeeping, accounting, accounts RECEIVABLES, etc for very small businesses? One thing that's held me back from doing it for real is the whole AR... I've had 'clients' stiff me before, but I had a full-time gig, so fock 'em. But if I eventually quit my job, I can't let even one client slide.

For the amount of business you are likely to do, you should be able to do your own books. I do A/R for a medical company so the volume of receivables and collections we do requires a full time person. Stay on top of slow-pays and it should not be a problem. As stated get a pro to do the taxes. They can help with business deductions.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm reading every post and considering all that y'all have said.

I'm not looking to make a fortune, it's just that hiring a good, private nanny when my wife goes back to work would eat up most of my income from my job, so that seems kind of silly, so I'd be working and taking care of my son.

Any advice about stay and work at home parent would also be appreciated :)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
What Moff Q.said. If you've got a baby in the house, you can figure on working during naptime or when the baby is sleeping at night, for about 3 years.

I've been self employed for over 20 years in one form or another. When my kids were really little they went to a play group three half days a week just so I had blocks of time to actually work during.

Regarding hiring outside pros to do bookkeeping etc. It's always going to be a time/money thing. I've used quickbooks for the duration, have no issues with doing my own bookkeeping. Now my hubby's engineering firm, he SHOULD use an outside bookkeeper but he likes knowing where every single penny is going. So I'd hold off on that for now.

Getting a separate phone line or a distinctive ring is necessary, that way if some monkey is calling you at 2 AM on the business ring you know not to answer it.

Discipline is the greatest requirement to working at home. IT's so easy to want to screw off if it's a nice day for biking for example. However, if I am being totally unproductive, like can't focus, I do go screw off, and just make up my time at another time.

hth

gg

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So I think it's time I start getting serious about it.

I've done plenty of freelancing, but nowhere near enough to have an actual company, brand, stationery, etc.

Mr. Mom

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Have you ever spent any length of time working from home?

Eating, sleeping, and working in the same area for a while can make it seem like prison at times. It can also facilitate your loss of that final bit of a grip on reality. It can also have downsides...

:)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Have you ever spent any length of time working from home?

Eating, sleeping, and working in the same area for a while can make it seem like prison at times. It can also facilitate your loss of that final bit of a grip on reality. It can also have downsides...

:)
:rofl:

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
First off, congrats on the birth of your son!!

I second the advice on a PO box. We also have a separate phone (VOIP) and fax for the business. Business cards, advertising, website all have the business numbers and PO box address. You may want to consider setting up a separate bank account for your business if you plan to do it full time.

We try to keep business expenses separate from our personal expenses and have an S-corp set up for tax/liability reasons. For accounting we use quickbooks. My husband also draws a paycheck from the business and we use Costco's service for that.

Good luck!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The biggest issue with self employment is taxes. Get yourself well versed on what your tax liabilities are.

The IRS is a great resource in figuring that part out

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=115045,00.html

And as pedestrian as it sounds....

freelancing for dummies

There is a lot of good stuff in there that folks just never think of.

Another great resource is a friend or acquaintance who is already established. They can point out where they tripped up or what you need to watch for.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I would highly recommend finding a good accountant for the year end stuff. A good accountant will help you find as many deductions for your business as possible, help you to estimate quarterly payments, and give you good advice on how to minimize your taxes, keeping the grey area in mind. Plus, the accountant should be tax decuctible as a business expense.

gg

What bikebabe said about keeping bus/home money separate. Boy, that is really important. Nothing like buying a set a tires for the car with your sales tax money that you forgot was owed.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Its crazy how much having a baby can change your life.
Ours is not even due until July, and we are already making big changes.
My wife publishes the big real estate book in our county, and has always had an office, even though she does not really need one.
So, we just moved her office home last week. Even though her office will be at home she works on a deadline, and I will have to take care of the baby right away if she is in production when the stork makes the drop.
Not only is she saving the rent money but she also had a 30 minute commute.
On top of that, my father's business has been in the same location for 30 years. We were located downtown in an upstairs office with no road signs or anything. We just relocated to a great place at an intersection of two busy roads with a nice sign out front.
It cut my commute from 30 minutes to 12, and will be easier for me to have the baby at our office when needed.
And as far as what others have said, for a simple business accountants can be cheap. For my personal taxes, I pay our accountant $250.
Good luck if you decide to do it.
And whatver you do, don't let your clients jew you out of any money!

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I only give out my cell# and email unless I have to ship something then I use my home address (I need to do this only a hand full of times a year so it's not worth it to get a PO box).

I require full payment before they receive the product since most of my customers are college kids and I charge on the low end.

My pain in the a$$... I mean mother use to be an accountant and has done a good job with my taxes, but if I didn't have her to do it I would be paying someone to do my taxes considering my overhead is about 1/2 of what I make freelancing.