Quantcast

ISO an affordable 2.5 layer waterproof jacket

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Greetings, monkeys. Winter is coming my way, and given it's been a couple of years since El Niño, we know it'll be a pretty damp one. I intend to keep riding come rain or come shine, so I'm searching for an affordable 2.5 layer waterproof jacket with a hood ample enough to fit my helmet.

Packability isn't a top requirement, since I'll probably leave the house with the jacket on.

Transpiration and waterproofing are my top priorities, as I sweat A LOT, even in near-freezing temperatures.

I don't mind ordering online, since down here all I can get is the locally produced Ansilta Criterium 2 which is top notch and packed with good features but hell, no way I'm spending ~250 USD in a riding jacket given my tendencies to crash into stuff.

If anyone could suggest me any alternatives/sweet online deals or what to look for based on your experience, I'll be more than thankful.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For these, packability is my number one requirement, side-zips are nice, and fitting over my helmet is totally unnecessary (you can fit it under, really, no big diff). I have a few. I had a OR Helium, but the zipper failed, the handle "popped" out one day and when you apply force in the direction you zip, it then pops out much easier. It's not like a traditional where you could just put a paper-clip or something through it, it literally has no loop, so once it popped out, it was pretty much done. I took it back to REI. Got the Patagonia version, have used it a few times and I like it better. Temps have to be pretty warm to wear a rain-jacket, as you'll build heat fast while doing any kind of riding, so as light as possible is important and breathable (although with any hard shell this is kind of shit) is real important too. I have an even lighter jacket that is only water resistant, it feels like I'm just wearing a plastic bag when I put it on, but it packs down to almost nothing. The Patagonia packs down to the size of my fist. The OR was cheaper/on sale, didn't work out for me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot about the armpit openings/side zips. That's a key point to me, since I tend to sweat a lot and we never get snow down here.
Also to the point where if it’s warm 50 or more freedom points) and raining, a vest may be better to keep you somewhat dry and keep you cool. Nice to have options, but then you can get super-cooled on long descents, so gotta balance that out.