Quantcast

ISP: Cable or DSL?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i prefer cable, i've heard about service problems with some of the local dsl providers, and it's comes on the same bill as my cable tv, so thats also a plus

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've had both DSL (through Speakeasy.net) and Comcast cable. The Comcast has had some "service" issues, which I didn't have with the DSL service... but I've had the Comcast for longer.

I think it's kind of a toss-up. Sorry. :D

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I've had both. If you aren't downloading huge files, there is no difference. If you have huge files you need cable and a good lawyer most likely.

Using DSL now, cheaper, had maybe 2 outages for a few hours in the last 4-5 years. At half the cost, it's well worth it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
In the bay area, comcast is the fastest and easiest to deal with.

If you only have the DSL option, go with anyone besides sbc/att/yahoo/pacbell/whateverthefvcktheyarecallingitthisweek.

Go with a good ISP, they in turn will deal with SBC for you. (usually for the same price or better)

These guys rock:
http://sonic.net/

Santa Rosa based but they do DSL all over the bay area and they have excellent customer service.

Other than that, Comcast.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
What are the options for providers in the area?

There are folks that have had good luck with either, but knowing which providers in what area would help folks give real-world experiences that would benefit your particular situation much more than a general argument or individual horror stories for providers that you may have no chance of getting.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
What are the options for providers in the area?

There are folks that have had good luck with either, but knowing which providers in what area would help folks give real-world experiences that would benefit your particular situation much more than a general argument or individual horror stories for providers that you may have no chance of getting.
See my post above. I studied this sh1t pretty intently. I was the first to have DSL on my block in Oakland years ago.

sonic.net is the best for dsl. Hands down.
http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/896

Comcast is the only game in town for cable, and it is very fast.

Choose your poison.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks - especially H8R for the local insight. Seems like a toss-up and I can get a bundled deal with cable TV and internet through Comcast, so that's probably what I'll do.