Quantcast

Issue with CC Frustrum headset and Totem fork...crown race doesn't fit right...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I don't know if I'm retarded and just not doing it right or if something is genuinely screwed up. I have a 1.125-1.5 Totem fork and bought the Cane Creek XXII headset to use in my Knolly frame. The bottom race seems to go over the steer tube and sit flush against crown without much effort. As far as I know this is supposed to be a press fit. Am I missing something...?

*sigh*...it's a bicycle and I feel like a monkey f'n a football.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
its not a split race is it? my Hope is like that
I have no idea what that even means. This is the first bike I have attempted to build. Normally I just replace crap that breaks or take it to the shop to have it fixed, but figured I would attempt it myself. I can build a damn 5.0 motor with my eyes closed and I feel like a retard trying to get this to fit right.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
You're fine. 1.5 stuff doesn't need as hard of a press. It's also a cartridge headset. The inner race of the bearing is tapered and will collapse that ring's diameter a little when it's preloaded.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You're fine. 1.5 stuff doesn't need as hard of a press. It's also a cartridge headset. The inner race of the bearing is tapered and will collapse that ring's diameter a little when it's preloaded.
So it should be good once everything is assembled if I just slide the race down? The fork is new-used. Hasn't been ran, but was a take off. The thing that got me thinking is that it has some small pry marks from where it looks like a race was pryed off.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
So it should be good once everything is assembled if I just slide the race down? The fork is new-used. Hasn't been ran, but was a take off. The thing that got me thinking is that it has some small pry marks from where it looks like a race was pryed off.
A previously installed race would not have changed the steerer diameter.
Don't worry about a thing unless it makes noise or moves off axis when assembled.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
A previously installed race would not have changed the steerer diameter.
Don't worry about a thing unless it makes noise or moves off axis when assembled.

I didn't think it would change the diameter, I was just thinking something might not be right if the race that was on there had to be pried off and this one just slides all the way to the crown.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I didn't think it would change the diameter, I was just thinking something might not be right if the race that was on there had to be pried off and this one just slides all the way to the crown.
Different races are designed differently, some are a loose fit/ split as has been noted above. I wouldn't worry about it.