Quantcast

Issy/Bellevue Nightriding Options

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Seeing as the last post in the PNW forum was me months ago, this might get a little more visibility:

Will be down there for a conference this week and going to stay over the weekend in Issy, but for the next coming days, where do people right at night around there? No stranger to night, but I was kind of shocked how it was nearly "lights out" around 5pm in the forest a few months ago. Getting off work, I might be able to squeeze in a few rides during the week, but they would definitely need lights. So where do people nightride? Grand Ridge? More gnar like Tokul/Tiger? RR and Ollalie? Others?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yes, pick a place and go ride it! Ride from wherever your staying, I hear car prowling is a thing over there. The Grand Ridge to Duthie and back is a pretty decent way to kill some time.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Tokul is probably the least wet. Like woo said, it kinda drains.

Tiger would be perfect if you like riding on baby diarrhea.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dude you in the PNW in october. It's the opening of alcohol season. Why you worried about bikes?

I'd go to tokul because it drains and mud in the dark always seems creepier.
It's looking like sunny skies and fair temps for the week...which makes sense, because it's dreary and raining up here. I'm thinking stuff should have had at least a few days to dry out.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I live in Seattle but not much of a night rider myself - that said, dead-of-winter riding is typically Tokul as the trees are a bit thinner than Tiger, letting a little more light in if you start at dusk, plus there's less gnar to deal with in the dark. That said, decent number of guys are night riding Tiger and even Raging River these days. You can ride Raging River up and do Poppin Tops, that's about all I'd ride out there though given that anything higher or over at the old Exit 27 trails gets steep for night rides.

This week should be primo for night riding, though probably cold. Hasn't rained in a bit and this past weekend was nice, so ride where you want as the dirt will be great.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, this is kinda what I thought. Thanks. Looks like there’s a group in Tokul on wed night or something.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Anywhere you ride in the day time around these parts is good at night as well.

I don’t ride at night much, but have enjoyed tiger, rr and exit 27 a lot at night. Tokul is fine if you like that kind of place. Not really my style outside of the months it becomes an absolute necessity due to low snow levels.

the other exits are fun at night too, but definitely go with a friend aa the eyes at night are very frequent there.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Ok, this is kinda what I thought. Thanks. Looks like there’s a group in Tokul on wed night or something.
I know group riding becomes a thing at Tokul during the winter, lot will be surprisingly full for night rides. If you haven't ridden there, the trails are honestly fine for a visit, but won't knock your socks off - in my opinion, probably the most boring trails in the area that are ridden with much regularity (aside from Duthie, but I spend too much time there teaching so others may feel differently). Tokyo Drift is fun to screw around on for a couple of laps, but jumping at night is a dicey proposition.

If you ride Tokul, you're also obligated to stop at The Last Frontier for cheap beers and hilarious vibe/decor. Love that place.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know group riding becomes a thing at Tokul during the winter, lot will be surprisingly full for night rides. If you haven't ridden there, the trails are honestly fine for a visit, but won't knock your socks off - in my opinion, probably the most boring trails in the area that are ridden with much regularity (aside from Duthie, but I spend too much time there teaching so others may feel differently). Tokyo Drift is fun to screw around on for a couple of laps, but jumping at night is a dicey proposition. Should also have some extra time on Friday for a longer ride.

If you ride Tokul, you're also obligated to stop at The Last Frontier for cheap beers and hilarious vibe/decor. Love that place.
That’s what I figured. Midweek isn’t going to knock my socks off, just get a little bit of riding. I’m hoping to hit Darrington and Tiger or something else on the weekend.

Last edited:

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I was on the crew that built one of the trails at Darrington. Hope you enjoy it! Best new trails in Washington I think. Ride the blue trail even if you are a double black rider (as long as you are shuttling). It’s ripping and so so so good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was on the crew that built one of the trails at Darrington. Hope you enjoy it! Best new trails in Washington I think. Ride the blue trail even if you are a double black rider (as long as you are shuttling). It’s ripping and so so so good.
The one that is called “Out of the Blue”? Or the one that is literally the blue-level trail (skyline)?

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Skyline is the blue I was referring to. It’s more of a hard blue too (Canadian blue). Super super fun. Trust me on that. Just go Mach chicken. I seriously can’t decide, but it might be my favorite trail out there for stupid party laps.

if I were to pedal, I would ride showcase showdown. It’s got a bit of everything from tech to some fun flow. It doesn’t have as many big jumps as I would like, but it does have a really fun rock roll/drop to step up.

Out of the Blue is technically a black. The top has a couple steep sections and is pretty rugged and raw at times. More than an average blue rider might be able to handle. It’s a fun trail, but I wouldn’t try to pull laps on it like I would the other trails. Definitely wouldn’t ride it on a dh bike as it’s a shit ton of pedaling (my coworker and I were given the project after it had been designed and laid out, we had limited time and really tried to flow it out).

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I am an instructor with Evergreen and had the privilege of doing some "product testing" on the early Darrington stuff. It has changed A LOT since they first built it...the single black that peels off of the blue near the top used to be loam explosions everywhere, now its got some massive holes and justifies a DH bike if you're hauling. Agree that the blue that starts from the shuttle parking area up top is amazing - there are spots where you will scare the shit out of yourself because you're going full star wars speeder bike through the trees. Would recommend wearing gloves with knuckle protection, as tree punching potential is high.

I've ridden all of the trails there, and I think my consistent favorite is the double black. You have to climb the road a bit from the shuttle drop point, but dear lord is it a good time. Hardly anyone rides it relative to the other stuff, so there's still loam in spots, some awesome little slabs, and some loose AF steeps.

Fair warning on the Peak to Park (if its open, not sure it is) - temptation will be to save it for the end of the day because it drops you lower than anything else, but I wouldn't recommend that. It beats the piss out of you and is long, I rode it as my 6th lap one day and could honestly not hold onto the bars at the end.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Fair warning on the Peak to Park (if its open, not sure it is) - temptation will be to save it for the end of the day because it drops you lower than anything else, but I wouldn't recommend that. It beats the piss out of you and is long, I rode it as my 6th lap one day and could honestly not hold onto the bars at the end.
It’s open. It’s the trail that got named “out of the blue”.

Like I said, the top part is a bit raw. Tim and I did a lot of work since you rode it for the instructor preview weekend. It’s definitely better now with the additional two-three months of work and the heat, rain, cool, heat cycle.

If you aren’t shuttling, you can see on Trailforksthe road that “Out ofthe Blue” crosses numerous times. Unfortunately that road is closed to cars. But its a decent road to climb with only a few steep grades.

my recommendation is to climbfour sections up (to access that Part, split off the main road to the right at section three andthe road will dead end where the trail crosses that spur road about .25 miles up). From that point down it’s super fun and flows.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That was legitimately fun, pedaled up for Skyline and rode down. Hands a little cold in the morning still. Then pedaled back up to the top and did Out of the Blue. Super fun DH. Well constructed and nice loam up top. No need for a DH bike. The pedaling up is super mellow, not steep. Passed a few ebikes.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Yo! I was also on the Darrington build crew. I built the skills park, Showcase showdown, and about half of Skyline. Ian Robinson built the top part of skyline where it's all star wars speeder bike. I'm pretty psyched how it turned out. Cool to have proper DH trails, that are legal on DNR land.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
First video of that trail where the rider wasn’t truly a hack and blew up huge parts of trail I worked the last six months on.

cheers bud
Well built and a blast to ride. I know the frustration of repetitive digging and how it's easy to just take for granted!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow, just saw this video linked from mtbr. I saw the "slide" on my way into town, but had no idea what I was looking at. What I love about projects like this and many of the PacNW trails is they take a whole damn mountain and put trails top to bottom, unlike lots of places that seem to be afraid to put resources in and use the land.