Quantcast

It’s a new day, amigos

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For free runs? Or cutting trails? I didn't know they cut trails at Platty, I always figured they just raked shale and figured out the shalliest paths down the mountain.
Do some maintenance on Saturday and they'd spin the lifts for you on Sunday.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I acquired doughnuts. One was free via vaccination goodness. I ate this medley, about one doughnut-equivalent, and have a CGM in my arm to see what my blood sugar does. (My guess is "not too much".)

IMG_6592.jpeg

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm not even 40 and I've been mountain biking close to 25 years
Ditto. Born in '86 (35), got my first real mtb from a bike store in 1998/1999 I think it was. Like @Westy , tooled around in the woods on a BMX bike through middle school before I knew mountain bikes were a thing.

I've been seriously mountain biking for 23 or 24 years of my life. Which is crazy to think about sometimes.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I wanna say 1997/1998 for me. I was busy shredding singletrack on a Royce Union from Walmart. I realized I needed a real MTB when mid-downhill the quill stem rotated inside the steerer, pitching me OTB into the rocks and roots. Man did I get fucked up in that crash.

Got a job bagging groceries, saved all my money, and got a Trek 7000 the following year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ditto. Born in '86 (35), got my first real mtb from a bike store in 1998/1999 I think it was. Like @Westy , tooled around in the woods on a BMX bike through middle school before I knew mountain bikes were a thing.

I've been seriously mountain biking for 23 or 24 years of my life. Which is crazy to think about sometimes.
It was 96 for me when I got my first proper mtb. Bianchi lynx. Rigid steel, 7 speed with a triple and canti brakes. When I was 15, I ordered my first set of clipless pedals and shoes through the LBS, 98 I believe. My parents were already tired of driving me to the LBS, so I rode there myself (I think it was close to 10 miles each way) to get them installed once they were in. Riding them home for the first time was a real trial by fire. I think I only fell once or twice.

Edit: these were my first clipless shoes. With the red shimano DX platform pedals

IMG_20210326_183809.jpg

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I also get a comment almost every time I go to REI with the age of my membership. My friends and I rode our bikes there in 6th or 7th grade and signed up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I also get a comment almost every time I go to REI with the age of my membership. My friends and I rode our bikes there in 6th or 7th grade and signed up.
I wasn't allowed to go to a store without an adult because my parents were afraid satanists would kidnap me. However I was allowed to disappear into the woods with bikes, gasoline, guns and explore a wide array of mayhem. Actually the parents weren't aware of the mayhem and somehow believed the backyard caught fire from lightning and not experiments with home made fireworks.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What's ironic, I think kids these days are in far more danger inside, with the innernet and predaphiles and whatot.

Not that a good old-fashioned windowless white van kidnapping is impossible.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I got my first MTB in 1986 after riding a BMX on trails and in the woods for a few years.

:disgust:
Funny, around that time I got my first MTB as well. I did ride a 24" 3-spd internal geared hub bike through the woods before that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
At the townhouses beside the trailhead. McLaren life yo.

Just looked up one of the townhouses for sale and it's going for over $1 million. Fack me. :(

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
For free runs? Or cutting trails? I didn't know they cut trails at Platty, I always figured they just raked shale and figured out the shalliest paths down the mountain.
The joke was that lazlo used to roll a Boulder down the mountain and tape the path it made... wasn’t far off from the truth it seemed. I did my fair share of work at platty but I also scored a free pass at highland for working on eastern hemlock. Maiden voyage tho... fuck that trail. Threshold had its merits

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
from the age of about 9-15 my parents let my brothers and I ride our bikes 2 or 3 miles to this dump on the side of the highway....they still make great pizza...

Screenshot_20210326-200802_Chrome.jpg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Wait did you correct my purposeful misspelling of Chernobyl in your quote? Or am I too many weird beers deep already
Si. Chernobly sounds really weird to my slavic ears. And it really isn't a fun topic back in my country, we lost a bunch of people to cancer that is believed to be connected to the disaster.
Also thinking about riding bikes with woody around 130 tomorrow. What’s your plan?
I would love to but can't, wifey will want to be outdoor in the afternoon. I am riding Millerica at 8AM, wanna join? :brows:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
rode le bike in le woods a bit. someone turned on the heat. it was 85+ freedoms, and humid since it rained the past few days. fun was had despite this. stopped by a buddy's shop on the way home and did a little derailleur tuneup. he gave me a beer too. homemade pizzas now.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Motiv 18spd from Costco, got stolen at some point. Then acquired my Dad's Schwinn Impact steel mtb vintage 1987.