Quantcast

It’s a new day, amigos

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
(This is good, Made me work out the years...) Other than ‘kids bikes’:

1984 Raleigh Burner BMX with the black mags
198x (late) Emmelle Nevada 15 (Kinda shitty proto-MTB)
1988 Haro Sport (BMX) That was a great bike.
Several other BMXs, including a PK Ripper (snapped it dirt jumping), Haro Master...

First ‘real’ MTB: 1991 Marin Bear Valley SE in Black (got stolen, was so pissed)

1993 Orange Clockwork LX (Grey with lots of purple bits)
Think I went back into BMX for a bit then...

1998 Kona Pahoehoe with aftermarket OG Orange Marzocchi Z1s, Red Magura HS33s... was so tight.

2002 Giant AC1 (first full susser)
...Various hardtails, (GT Zaskar was a favourite) some BMXs... Pimped out S+M Dirtbike in candy red, fatty chrome wheels, that I bought with student loan one year.
Bit of a blur with jobs and kids...
DJ bikes, including my favourite Revell Bikes R250.
Fly Bikes 3 Amigos BMX, fully tricked out in black, black and Ti black, because I could afford it.
Bit of riding hiatus, but I did build a lot of bikes and do some professional wrenching.
Then my 2019 YT Decoy CF Pro. Best thing ever...

Oh I’ve just got back from shopping, popped in the local Specialized store - They have the 2022 S-Works Levo. It is NZ$25k. I properly lolled at the guy when he told me. He said they’ve sold five already and he doesn’t try and guess what people will spend on bikes anymore.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Maybe. I worked at Belmont Bike works in 87. I built at least 150/200 Alpinas and Unos. I hated Univega bikes as they always required complete assembly and always had poorly built wheels....
No shit.....I go there occasionally. A lot more often when I lived right off Trapelo Rd in Belmont.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
although my 86 schwinn predator got ridden through the woods and on the streets a lot, skating was my main thing until the early 90s. got a trek 830 in 1997 when living in chicago to ride on the bike paths with teh girlfriend. realized i had more fun off to the sides of the path jumping things...moved to charlottesville a year later and had real trails around me. it was on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Si. Chernobly sounds really weird to my slavic ears. And it really isn't a fun topic back in my country, we lost a bunch of people to cancer that is believed to be connected to the disaster.

I would love to but can't, wifey will want to be outdoor in the afternoon. I am riding Millerica at 8AM, wanna join? :brows:
well then I apologize for being dumb...was a few weirdbeers deep at that point but I get it. I was too young too understand when it happened but watching the HBO series made me understand the impact on the area rather than just the facility.

8am is a little too early for me- we have a family hike planned so I will have to battle the mouth breathers later in the day.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Y'all should be riding like gods with 30 years of experience under your belts.
I have often thought to myself that I should be a lot faster and better of a rider given how long I've been doing this. First bike was a '91 Trek 7000, stolen and replaced with a '92 of the same model. Full rigid and canti brakes when I got it, upgraded to an AMP F1 suspension fork and a bunch of other custom parts.

The years, they haven't been kind to my brain.
The drugs, on the other hand...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Shit is very strange here still with Covid. But mask compliance is 110%
Thats because we have the "honor" of having the most excess deaths per million people in the world, by far.

Official covid data is way off, but going from excess deaths its estimated somewhere between 1 in 200 to 1 in 250 people countrywide have died from covid so far.

All 2300 ICU beds in the country have been full for months now, and there are queues.
Covid patients are officially divided in 4 groups for ICU access. 2 bottom groups are just not eligible.
Priority is for medical personel and those under 38 with no comorbodities.
If you are over 38 with comorbodities, its unlikely you´ll get a ICU bed if you need it, even if eligible. :cray:

We have our fair share of antivaxxers/5g chemtrailers/conspiracy theorists, but most people are scared.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Thats because we have the "honor" of having the most excess deaths per million people in the world, by far.

Official covid data is way off, but going from excess deaths its estimated somewhere between 1 in 200 to 1 in 250 people countrywide have died from covid so far.

All 2300 ICU beds in the country have been full for months now, and there are queues.
Covid patients are officially divided in 4 groups for ICU access. 2 bottom groups are just not eligible.
Priority is for medical personel and those under 38 with no comorbodities.
If you are over 38 with comorbodities, its unlikely you´ll get a ICU bed if you need it, even if eligible. :cray:

We have our fair share of antivaxxers/5g chemtrailers/conspiracy theorists, but most people are scared.
This totally sucks. Really sorry.