Quantcast

it begins now...SNOWSHOE WC BITCHEZ

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
we should get a discount for cultural (mountie) appropriation. found in idaho a few weeks ago:

$25 bombers is a bit on the steep side for this guy tho.

i think one of my regular (vancouver) bottle shops still has some. should snap them up if they've killed this recipe. tasty stuff.
Didn't ever see those big boys here.

Found this in my stash of pics from the local g'ovmint shop.

Personally I think the regular breakfast stout is way better....

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've only seen small bottles at home as well. (now that founders is somewhat readily available up here) will give the standard BS a go. i've only tried CBS.

this is a fine derailment, i must add.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, that's there's a man who (justifiably!) really really didn't want to case that one.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
5 things:

- This blows for Neko, this is basically his home race (anyone from the east coast), finally happened and he blew up in practice.
- Greg's huck is hilarious and technical, hanging that front wheel and not going in rear heavy like he did must be really tough.
- Why isn't this a sticky? European lizard species?
- Just packed my truck...I have a bunch of beer/whiskey, 1974 glacier glasses, cow bells, and a 19ft inflateable orca.
- Should I bring an old carbon bar and my brothers 1999 straight 6 which hangs on my wall as a noise maker?

5:30 am departure time tomorrow.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Neko out with a broken leg. Intense has taken ownership of the Specialized injury curse. Moir was hurt even before the season, Rock Jesus briefly saw Patchouli Jesus after cart wheeling off course at Ft. Bill and now this. Hell, it even retroactively tried to get Dean Lucas even tho he's on Scott now. Only @buckoW 's Swiss talismans prevented a more serious injury.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
5 things:

- This blows for Neko, this is basically his home race (anyone from the east coast), finally happened and he blew up in practice.
- Greg's huck is hilarious and technical, hanging that front wheel and not going in rear heavy like he did must be really tough.
- Why isn't this a sticky? European lizard species?
- Just packed my truck...I have a bunch of beer/whiskey, 1974 glacier glasses, cow bells, and a 19ft inflateable orca.
- Should I bring an old carbon bar and my brothers 1999 straight 6 which hangs on my wall as a noise maker?

5:30 am departure time tomorrow.
100% TO ALL

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Amazing. How the bits of the old norba course have changed! More speed overall... and more dirt in lots of spots!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
if you lose speed in lower hareball....you're gonna have a bad time. none of those guys seemed to be losing speed though. i hope they leave the dirt in front of the place that's normally a rock drop out into the ski slope near the top of the course . . . would be fun to try send it instead of just rolling off the back like normal. the fucking pace they're carrying through some of those sections is nuts.

supplies procured. departure time: 8:dirty. the stoke is high.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What's with all the weird jumps? It feels like a track in Poland or Czech republic. Flattish track that's made harder by unreasonable jumps. I thought east coast was Rokz not getting blown of dirt jumps while racing.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I don't see how the jumps are massively different from those on other tracks. You have a hip (Le Bresse had a hard one), you have a big ass road gap (many tracks have these), you have a jump over two big rocks which still entails a lip and a lander--can't see how its that weird other than having more consequence if you come up short. There is a chicken lander to avoid the rock lander if you want--this is slower which is as it should be.

It seems like the track has a bunch of different components and features and some people are latching onto one as the predominant trait eg: jumps, flat pedal/pump section, rocks, steeps, etc. Reality is that the track has a ton of different components which challenge the versatility of the riders. I think that's cool.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't see how the jumps are massively different from those on other tracks. You have a hip (Le Bresse had a hard one), you have a big ass road gap (many tracks have these), you have a jump over two big rocks which still entails a lip and a lander--can't see how its that weird other than having more consequence if you come up short. There is a chicken lander to avoid the rock lander if you want--this is slower which is as it should be.

It seems like the track has a bunch of different components and features and some people are latching onto one as the predominant trait eg: jumps, flat pedal/pump section, rocks, steeps, etc. Reality is that the track has a ton of different components which challenge the versatility of the riders. I think that's cool.
If the pros are scared I assume they are different. Almost all of them are hips and most of them are either really big or technical. I'd not comment on that if the riders didn't but if worlds top riders seem to be scared of the jumps then maybe there is something unusual to them.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Interesting--did not see riders seeming scared. Brendog and Kaos flipped the top jump first run. Loads of people hitting rock jump in early practice including Gee who fucked up the turn before it had to pedal and overcleared anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'm scared AF of those things but the riders seem OK.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The top jump looks like something out of a jump line. Ofcourse people will have no problem flipping that. I dont see why anyone would build that on a racetrack but as Cathro already pointed out you can pretty much speed jump it off the side of it.
The road gap has been a feat in dh courses for as long as i can remember.

But those rock jumps just look weird and sketchy in that vid. Maybe its just the angles though...
If riders are already smashing them theyre probably not too bad irl.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If the pros are scared I assume they are different. Almost all of them are hips and most of them are either really big or technical. I'd not comment on that if the riders didn't but if worlds top riders seem to be scared of the jumps then maybe there is something unusual to them.
I think pros are as vulnerable to mind-fucks as anybody else. it's how they deal that sets them apart. that huge gap with exposed rock face is intimidating. in the Vital vid, Gee overshoots the eff out of it, landing well past the tranny. that's probably him being "cautious" and feeling the jumps out. a little later, riders are getting better at landing in the tranny and pumping out.

The top jump looks like something out of a jump line. Ofcourse people will have no problem flipping that. I dont see why anyone would build that on a racetrack but as Cathro already pointed out you can pretty much speed jump it off the side of it.
The road gap has been a feat in dh courses for as long as i can remember.

But those rock jumps just look weird and sketchy in that vid. Maybe its just the angles though...
If riders are already smashing them theyre probably not too bad irl.
this.

Also, that vid is has probably some of the best footage I can recall that captures Bruni's suspension setup and poise. I was watching at 0.25 speed, and at 8:03 Luca comes through the rock garden. his spring rate seems really stiff, as does the HSC and you can almost see his bars and shoulders being pushed up every time he hits a rock. And then Bruni comes through at 8:09, and his bars move much less, and his shoulders are almost flat the whole way down. Quite the contrast.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think pros are as vulnerable to mind-fucks as anybody else. it's how they deal that sets them apart. that huge gap with exposed rock face is intimidating. in the Vital vid, Gee overshoots the eff out of it, landing well past the tranny. that's probably him being "cautious" and feeling the jumps out. a little later, riders are getting better at landing in the tranny and pumping out.
So top riders on the planet say they are scared of the jumps, Minaar and Gee, 2 guys known for being awesome at jumping, one of them being a Rampage podium finisher overshoot a jump because they are scared of it but some guy on the internet knows better if the jump feels safe and normal because ridemonkey gives us protection from mind fucks? Sorry if I sound critical off you but you seem to be assuming like you somehow know better than top pros if a jump they are jumping (and you are not) is easy. And people doing a jump doesn't mean it was easy. They have to do that jump, it's their job. So they are smashing it because of 1. They are the best in the world at bikes and 2. They get paid to do that jump not because the jump is easy. Using that logic anything anyone does is easy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So top riders on the planet say they are scared of the jumps, Minaar and Gee, 2 guys known for being awesome at jumping, one of them being a Rampage podium finisher overshoot a jump because they are scared of it but some guy on the internet knows better if the jump feels safe and normal because ridemonkey gives us protection from mind fucks? Sorry if I sound critical off you but you seem to be assuming like you somehow know better than top pros if a jump they are jumping (and you are not) is easy. And people doing a jump doesn't mean it was easy. They have to do that jump, it's their job. So they are smashing it because of 1. They are the best in the world at bikes and 2. They get paid to do that jump not because the jump is easy. Using that logic anything anyone does is easy.
If any of them are actually scurrrrrrrred of it, as @SuboptimusPrime mentioned, they can just ride around it....

Lots of the riders in Ben's video took the jumps with poise. Dude that broke his fork in half on it, not so much. :busted:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Technical jump features are cool and a good way to spice up the track.

As for who's saying they're scared, don't take it too seriously, that shit is always a bunch of jedi mind tricks.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Is Gwin done racing at an elite level, do Intense Bikes kinda blow, or is it the fault of his mechanic: find out more at 11

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Interesting notes about the track. Just wanted to address that the track is not flat. It drops 1500ft. There are sections where the gradient combined with rocks means that you can feel momentum being robbed. There are other sections where you get a flat landing (big rock near the end) followed by a downhill rock garden.

I just pulled up my track walk from before that was a thing (2002/2003). My memory was serving me correctly. Parts of this track that still exist have (expectedly) changed pretty dramatically. Less rocks dare I say! Any interest in me posting that stuff up here?

20030616-ncs-snowshoe-image87.jpg

20030616-ncs-snowshoe-image58.jpg

20030616-ncs-snowshoe-waterfall-DSC_2952.jpg

Attachments