Quantcast

It is actually happening!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Well last year I got into road riding and I wanted to do some longer rides and get into using my bike as transportation. Decided that a good start would be to ride home from school over spring break or before summer vacation. I got some panniers and racks for Christmas and have been planning the route ever since.

Well, I've got one more paper to finish for this quarter and as I have no finals my spring break lasts two weeks. I'm spending the first 4 days riding down highway 1 from Santa Clara, CA to Santa Barbara, CA(300ish miles) and camping along the way!

First stop is Carmel, then a night in Big Sur or San Simeon, then a night in Cayucos or Morro Bay, then through SLO to see some friends, down to Santa Ynez to visit more friends and then through Santa Ynez, over the pass and into SB!

Anyhow, I'm excited, I leave tomorrow mid-morning(gotta pack bags and prep bike tonight) and then I'm off! :thumb: I'll be sure to post a few pictures when I get home, until then, wish me luck and if you have any tips on where to stay in Carmel or Cayucos let me know. There is a hostel or two in Carmel I'm thinking of, but not entirely sure if it is worth the money. Looking for cheap camping, but playing it by ear.

I still can't believe I'm going to be doing this, it's a bit of a shock really.

The Ito

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Sounds great to me. I rode home from boarding school after graduation back in the dark ages. Not as far as you're going, but very memorable.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
splat said:
Have a geat Trip!

How many paniers are you running ? 2 or 4 ? Front Low rider or just the rear rack ?
I've got two. Rear rack only. I figure the way it is I can pretty much carry the basics and pick up food on the way. Only problem is fitting clothes on. I've got a week and a half of spring break after this ride. It looks like it's going to be shorts, sandals, and lycra for the next 14 days :thumb:

My days are ranging from 60-90 miles, though most of it is fairly flat. Fixed gear though.

:dancing:

The Ito