Quantcast

-+-+-+-+-+-+ it is wednesday, my dudes -+-+-+-+-+-

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
slept great. woke up early and did some rowing and weights. chinese parts ordered for my chinese bike which cost more than the rest of the frame. now we're here.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Was tuning the sliding miter saw last night and had to throw in the towel. It'll cut square to the fence at 90*, but tilted at 45* it's 1/16" off across a 10" span. UGH.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Dog was giving herself a bath at 3:00 this morning, which is annoying as hell when you are trying to sleep. Anyway, I turned off the 5:00 alarm and slept in for a couple more hours. I'll hit up the local reservoir for a run on my way home from work this afternoon.

I've got a three hour meeting on my calendar to "MEET THE AUDITORS!!" this morning and get a coffee and bagel. LMAO like I'm going to attend that horseshit.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Wet and messy here. I have to drive in the city this afternoon to pick up my passport that finally arrived at the honorary consulate, so I have that going for me. It only took four months.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
does.not.make.sense
Only things I can figure at this point are a warped casting or perhaps the weight of the head is flexing the chassis at full extension. Otherwise, I have no more adjustments at my disposal.

It's been hell trying to get tight fitting copes and miters without a lot of futzing, which makes my life miserable as I've got lots of baseboards, crown, and trim work in my future.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Only things I can figure at this point are a warped casting or perhaps the weight of the head is flexing the chassis at full extension. Otherwise, I have no more adjustments at my disposal.

It's been hell trying to get tight fitting copes and miters without a lot of futzing, which makes my life miserable as I've got lots of baseboards, crown, and trim work in my future.
Baseboards and crowns too high to cut at 45 on the fence?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Cold and clear this morning. However it is supposed to rain again starting tonight. This weekends horse show got canceled because the arenas are mud bogs. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend and a couple of lakes are reachable and should be fishable so I may go and try out my new fly rod.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
what model saw?

also, whatever guide/rail that the cutting head adjusts on is probably misaligned if its straight at 90 but not 45
Bosch 5412L. It was their flagship sliding compound 15 years ago but has since been eclipsed by the glide style.

Inherited from my dad. He takes good care od his stuff though so I'm not inclined to think this is abuse related.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Back from Jackson. @Full Trucker and I got a bit skunked on snow conditions but much fun was had, and @rideit and his Mrs. were most gracious hosts. Best part? I ate a slice of gas station pizza and didn't shit my pants. #winning

Back to the grind ova here. More coffee and some breakfast first.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Back from Jackson. @Full Trucker and I got a bit skunked on snow conditions but much fun was had, and @rideit and his Mrs. were most gracious hosts. Best part? I ate a slice of gas station pizza and didn't shit my pants. #winning

Back to the grind ova here. More coffee and some breakfast first.
I'm gonna take the fact that was the best part as a backhanded compliment. :p

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
work from office day today. rode in. it's a "wintery mix of precipitation", which translated to 1.5" of firm slush on the ground. not bad, but not great either. the $20 v-brakes I got off amazon and that I installed on Monday worked great though. they retract properly so the wheel can spin freely. amazing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I don't think that I slept much last night, so I'm thankful that I can work from home today.

work from office day today. rode in. it's a "wintery mix of precipitation", which translated to 1.5" of firm slush on the ground. not bad, but not great either. the $20 v-brakes I got off amazon and that I installed on Monday worked great though. they retract properly so the wheel can spin freely. amazing.
Its full out raining here....again :hmm:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Was tuning the sliding miter saw last night and had to throw in the towel. It'll cut square to the fence at 90*, but tilted at 45* it's 1/16" off across a 10" span. UGH.
Can you Add/Reduce a 1/16 + to get there? Does not fix the problem but will it work?

Avy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No, I can cut upright and will have to going forward, it's just killing me that I can't get square cuts in all orientations.
Sometimes castings can warp when they get machined, much like a piece of wood. The balance of internal stresses gets uh, unbalanced.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Sometimes castings can warp when they get machined, much like a piece of wood. The balance of internal stresses gets uh, unbalanced.
I know, I'm just surprised that it's such a large amount over such a short span and there's no adjustment to correct. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

The dog started at 3, so I let them out and went back to bed. Able to sleep until 4:30 before the cat came in soaked. It was dry on walkies, so that's all that matters. It's only Wednesday? Fack.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@Adventurous you should just buy a Festool Kapex and be done with it. That way you can satisfy your craving for accuracy and high end gadgets while simultaneously preventing yourself from purchasing anymore expensive knives for a while, a long while.
Funny you say that, I was perusing the Kapex this morning, though I seem to recall reading a not so insignificant number of folks dissatisfied with theirs for varying reasons. Stuff breaking, hard to source replacement parts, inaccuracy, all issues you wouldn't expect out of a saw that costs that much.

I'll have to make some test cuts with my Dads Bosch glider next time I'm over their house, see how well it fairs.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It appears I've broken my pinky. Well it'll be taped up to the 4th finger for a while. I wonder how purple it's gonna turn.

In other news, don't run into objects that dont move.