Quantcast

-+-+-+-+-+-+ it is wednesday, my dudes -+-+-+-+-+-

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nah there are a LOT of reasons california has such a housing shortage. The rest of the nation isn't built any differently.... That ain't the cause.
Eliminate multi family vs SFH lot restrictions, setbacks, and parking minimums and the market would go a long way to addressing the need.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nah there are a LOT of reasons california has such a housing shortage. The rest of the nation isn't built any differently.... That ain't the cause.
Increased density is Seattle's solution to housing. Let me tell you how that is working.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have to drop a kid off at preschool before taking off tomorrow due to the other kids’ schedule anyway.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Eliminate multi family vs SFH lot restrictions, setbacks, and parking minimums and the market would go a long way to addressing the need.
I'll say it again, there's nothing unique about how houses are laid out in california. We have more space than anyone but alaska

Short term rentals, every fucking inch of state land being deemed some stupid 'conservation area' once a rich neighborhood goes up next to it, and the relentless courting of the real estate marketeers shooting prices to the moon have way more to do with the highly manufactured "housing shortage"

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Increased density is Seattle's solution to housing. Let me tell you how that is working.
The way it works here is:

1. County/town decides the service is falling off
2. Realizes no one can afford to live here (here meaning CA, not just tahoe)
3. Approves some 'workforce housing project', usually deed/price restricted condos
4. Bitchy 2nd homeowners who are here 3mos/year complain about the poors, someone gets into agency's ear about higher potential tax rates
5. Developer changes plan to luxury condominiums that sell for 1mil+

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'll say it again, there's nothing unique about how houses are laid out in california. We have more space than anyone but alaska

Short term rentals, every fucking inch of state land being deemed some stupid 'conservation area' once a rich neighborhood goes up next to it, and the relentless courting of the real estate marketeers have way more to do with the highly manufactured "housing shortage"
The Builders Remedy projects that’ll be going up the next few years will be interesting to follow.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The Builders Remedy projects that’ll be going up the next few years will be interesting to follow.
The gallows for the bourgeoisie remedies are the projects I'm more interested in.

It's the developers who have truly been hardest hit by homelessness

This headline :rofl:

Last edited:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Heh. No offense taken. My house is 3,272 finished sq ft on a 6,332 sq ft lot iirc. So yes, not a large lot—that’s how they are in this neighborhood. Better for efficiency and we have enough of a yard.

And yes, that’s the alley. Houses load butt to butt from that alley.
That building pattern is why California has such a housing shortage. Which in turn is why there are so many homeless. Boomer mentality.
I’ll just live in my pretend lala land and assume that you didn’t pay more than $350k for a 3200 sq/ft house on a postage stamp. . . (Well aware those places are expensive af)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I’ll just live in my pretend lala land and assume that you didn’t pay more than $350k for a 3200 sq/ft house on a postage stamp. . . (Well aware those places are expensive af)
There are towns in the middle of fucking no where nebraska where every house is 3 feet from the next house and nothing else for a 100 miles. My only explanation is that the required infrastructure is must cheaper. requires 1/10th the roads/sewer/power lines etc compared to suburban sprawl.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There are towns in the middle of fucking no where nebraska where every house is 3 feet from the next house and nothing else for a 100 miles. My only explanation is that the required infrastructure is must cheaper. requires 1/10th the roads/sewer/power lines etc compared to suburban sprawl.
Similar in NV. Mo lots, mo money for developers was always my assumption. Tighter infrastructure/plumbing being less initial cash outlay too

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I’m not saying I disagree with the building model. I just feel the price is high for what you get. Although a Seattle buddy just bought one of those weird as fuck box looking houses with 4 jammed on a normal lot. I think he paid 1.4.

A farm my dad and I used to farm was sold to development, 80 acres. Sold the lots as “mini” farms. So rich fucks build McMansions in their 8 acre lots. So 10 homes on a nice flat 80. Jesus tap dancing Christ.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
All that proves is that you were alive then. Times changed.

View attachment 187998

View attachment 187999

Bottom is nominal dollars. Green CPI adjusted.
Can you even buy anything for $156K anymore? I was looking at Zillow around Springfield, CO recently and even there, an area with a median household income of $34K and population of 1,400, the only place for sale is $250K.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Honesty is the best policy
these days i tend to limit my bike purchases, trying to save for an N+1. and try to get stuff on sale. the shoes and brakes i just got were both half off. my wife is much more receptive to bike stuff when it's on sale, or used. like that yeti last summer.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
these days i tend to limit my bike purchases, trying to save for an N+1. and try to get stuff on sale. the shoes and brakes i just got were both half off. my wife is much more receptive to bike stuff when it's on sale, or used. like that yeti last summer.
I was trying not to buy it. I had staved off several sale prices and said I'd buy it a year from now when I'm back from long deployments and not before I depart when it will be less useful sitting for a year.

But then I found the frame WITH shock for just a skooch more than I'd have expected to pay for a used frame, and I have most major components sitting around already...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was trying not to buy it. I had staved off several sale prices and said I'd buy it a year from now when I'm back from long deployments and not before I depart when it will be less useful sitting for a year.

But then I found the frame WITH shock for just a skooch more than I'd have expected to pay for a used frame, and I have most major components sitting around already...
which one did you get?