Quantcast

It so happened...

[nicestorybro]

...that on short notice I left Thursday at about 9:30 AM in my van, with the bikes, headed to Savannah, GA. I stopped briefly in Hewitt, NJ, then Coatesville, PA to catch up with old friends from high school, then pointed the geo-nag at Asheville, NC, in hopes of snagging a ride on the way. Notice was short enough that I was unable to do any research up front. I figured I'd find a bike store and ask. After a stupid long all night drive with a stop for three hours or so of sleep, got to Asheville and asked my phone for bike shops. The first did not seem to exist at the stated address on some road headed to Brevard, so I asked again and was directed to Beer City Bicycles. Found it (damn, is that city a cluster****), went in, asked. Got directed to some beginner/intermediate spot. Said naw, want something longer, techy. Got directed to Turkeypen Road in Mills River, description sounded better. So I stumble outside and take inventory. I had not eaten since supper the prior night. I was running on three hours of sleep. It was nominally five more hours of driving to get to Savannah. Said screw it and drove on, started nodding out about 2:30 PM, found a rest stop, got another hour of sleep, rolled into Savannah at I don't know what, 7:30 or something, got some very good food, found my hotel room and fell over and slept.

Saturday did some wandering around Savannah on the Moonlander, went to the event that occasioned the drive (wedding of another high school friend), and started driving north in the late afternoon. Did not do anything but drive, snooze when necessary, and eat once, got back to home base 1,120 miles and 24 hours later.

Tonight I did some poking around on the web and found at least the basic riding info I wanted at http://www.mtbikewnc.com/; the Laurel mountain ride sounds interesting, need to figure out how to get back and spend a few days down there. Don't understand quite why the guy at BCB was so unhelpful. He was either a roadie or protecting his turf. Also - lots of good beer, no public restroom?

Savannah was also worth going to - seemed like a full time low key party going on. Bunch of interesting things to look at, and a Bryan Street, which I think somehow ties into parts of my family history which I have listened to but never paid enough attention to to understand.

[/nicestorybro]

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That shop is new since I lived there. The building use to house a gallery that represented me back in the late 90's. Laurel Mountain is an amazing trail, one of Pisgah Forest's best.

LBS shop rats in Asheville generally don't spill the goods until they know you. That or you may have just missed Bizutch and they were a bit cranky afterward.

bro I live in Savannah now
If I wind up back there I'll tell you.

That shop is new since I lived there. The building use to house a gallery that represented me back in the late 90's. Laurel Mountain is an amazing trail, one of Pisgah Forest's best.

LBS shop rats in Asheville generally don't spill the goods until they know you. That or you may have just missed Bizutch and they were a bit cranky afterward.
I figured it might be the don't.know.this.guy routine, happens up here too.

Last edited:

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Shoot me a pm when yer heading back through Asheville. I would be more than happy to show you some trails. Especially now, the seasonal trails just opened and conditions are prime.

Brian

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Beer City is a fixie shop. Pure urban.

JBP, I am so sorry you wasted so many incredible rides. Did you take I40 or I26? Also, if someone sends you to Turkey Pen as your first Pisgah ride, they hate you and are demented. Turkey Pen is reserved for when you need a tweak to the already epic rides you've been on day after day and want to cross boatloads of creeks.

Kitsuma is a super simple, eternal descent for those who are going THROUGH Asheville, but don't time. You can do it an 1 1/2hrs and the trail is quite literally ON the interstate. Exit 69 too...it doesn't get better than that.

Bent Creek is 5-10 minutes off I-26 in Biltmore Park area and you can rip it in there, but best with a guide. If you're coming to ride for 2-5 days, go to Brevard and there are SOOOO many epics.

Black Mtn
Bennett
Farlow Ridge
Daniel Ridge

Man, you should just go punch yourself in the clown for not asking us before hitting the road. We would have hooked you up!!! :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Total fail. Hell, you could have walked in Sycamore Cycles or The Hub that are RIGHT at the entrance for Pisgah Forest and been given all the goods. They probably would have even rode with you. Your stache alone would have given you instant cred in Sycamore which doubles as a beard observation center.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
have done laurel mtn. i think. good riding in them hills.
you should go back.
also Dupont State park has some Eastern 'slickrock'. fun times.
but beware that used to be respect cape cult territory.

bizutch and others,

Thanks for the helpful pointers. Bizutch, I came in on 26 from 81, continued on 26 to my destination. I had zero time for planning, and that said, the trip went well. I think I'm going to plan another attempt and will tell people in advance.

Edit:

Seasonally, when's it reasonable to expect to be able to ride?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You can ride in WNC year round. They get less snow than New England and it typically doesn't linger too long. Of course some of the trails might be a bit wet if the ground hasn't frozen yet.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
bizutch and others,

Thanks for the helpful pointers. Bizutch, I came in on 26 from 81, continued on 26 to my destination. I had zero time for planning, and that said, the trip went well. I think I'm going to plan another attempt and will tell people in advance.

Edit:

Seasonally, when's it reasonable to expect to be able to ride?
Year round. You gotta get way high up...way high up...to find snow on the ground under the rhododendrons most times. It can get decently cold, but for the most part, I'm out the door every weekend. The only time I've been turned back by a ride was pretty nuts.

Went to do Bennett Gap and a snow had came early in the week, melted and re-froze. It was absurd and you couldn't even kick or stomp through it...let alone stand up. That was like 6-8 years ago with SoEast Matt and Jeremy R. Sad day bro. Sad day.

If you're driving through and have a half day, you could get off at the airport. Park at Laurel Mountain and do Laurel to Pilot Rock and get a pretty stunning ride in about 3 hours. If you're coming for 2 days or more, just stay in Brevard or a hotel near the Asheville airport and crush any and all things in Brevard. You couldn't sample all the goods if you had to, but damn you'd whet your whistle. :thumb: