Quantcast

It sux to get old

This summer we've been riding hard on the weekends and I've started spinning a few times a week in addition to lifting in the am.

I don't even work my legs in the summer (with weights) so it's all upper body work.

The last few times I've ridden - even with a day or two rest - my quads start screaming immediately. I'm going to take the week off - but any other advice for muscle recovery?

I don't bounce back like I did when I was 20, that's for sure :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
me old too. ugh.

Advice? umm, hydration, electrolytes, cram carbs in immediately after work out, wait a bit, cram some protein.

OJ or V8 are pretty good post-exercise drinks.

Stretching afterwards?

Maybe instead of taking time off, go for a really easy ride for 30 minutes the next day... flush some of them acids out of your muscles?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Stretching has helped me and my various tore up parts. I usually stretch for 20 minutes or so most nights. It helps but I still end up with unexplained aches and pains.

Though if its your quads that are messing with you then the very first thing I would look at is your saddle. Has it shifted or moved? A small change could bring about some pretty significant pains depending on how ingrained your muscles were to the old position.

If that's not it, try what LO said. Do some very very low intensity rides in little gears.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I seem to get sore legs for two different reasons. Riding a lot after not riding very much, only cure is to ride more all year round. The other reason is when I ride hard at the end of a ride without a cool down session. The lactic acid just sits in the muscles making the following morning very painfull.

Though if its your quads that are messing with you then the very first thing I would look at is your saddle. Has it shifted or moved? A small change could bring about some pretty significant pains depending on how ingrained your muscles were to the old position.
The only thing that has changed is me trying to be very aware of my pedal stroke and trying to avoid bad form. Maybe I'm just not used to pedalling right :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If all those things don't help, you could try massage therapy. Someone who knows what they're doing is a really valuable asset.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
The only thing that has changed is me trying to be very aware of my pedal stroke and trying to avoid bad form. Maybe I'm just not used to pedalling right :)
Honestly that could be it. Modifying your pedal stroke could have an impact on how you are using your muscles and subsequently cause the pain. If you are really making an effort to improving your pedal stroke, the low intensity rides are the best place to do that.

Westy also makes a good point. Lots of times folks end a ride with a huge effort, get off the bike immediately and then wonder why they are sore all the time. An easy 5 to 10 minute cool down makes a huge difference.

Honestly that could be it. Modifying your pedal stroke could have an impact on how you are using your muscles and subsequently cause the pain. If you are really making an effort to improving your pedal stroke, the low intensity rides are the best place to do that.

Westy also makes a good point. Lots of times folks end a ride with a huge effort, get off the bike immediately and then wonder why they are sore all the time. An easy 5 to 10 minute cool down makes a huge difference.
NOTED.

but for now - OOWWWW!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Aleve or it's generic equivalent is great for this type of pain. It not only numbs the pain but can reduce the swelling that causes it. Works best when taken before and after a ride.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
you young uns make me laugh

couple of things that help...
the spin down....helps move out the lactic acid
open the carb window..any carbs eaten within 30 minute post exercize with hold the carb window open [ie let you replenish muscle glycogen] for up to 6 hours. if not it shuts in about an hour and that meal you eat when you get home will do very little to get your legs repowered for riding running or what ever the next day...
stretch post exercise...
rehydrate with electrolytes until your pee is clear

hell I'm 50 and still out there having a total blast

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm in my 20s, but haven't been riding for very long, so I'm always sore.

I do feel better this season, however, after playing around with a lot of different things.

- Stretching is key. Before, during and after. I'll do a little when we stop during the ride and a long series of stretches post-ride.
- Heat makes muscles happy
- Someone recently hooked me up with one of these http://www.thestick.com
I know it looks corny, but if I do it right after a ride, I'm able to ride the next day and it keeps me loose.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
- Heat makes muscles happy
except when there's even the slightest ligament, tendon, or bone issue. If you bring more blood to the injured area, swelling will increase and could force the affected body part to heal slightly out of whack.

So, if you love heat -- pads, showers, hot tub -- put ice on questionable joints immediately afterwards. Alternate 15 minutes on and off 3-4 times.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
open the carb window..any carbs eaten within 30 minute post exercize with hold the carb window open [ie let you replenish muscle glycogen] for up to 6 hours. if not it shuts in about an hour and that meal you eat when you get home will do very little to get your legs repowered for riding running or what ever the next day...
Between the drive home, shower (damn poison ivy oil and ticks), and cooking, it's often over an hour after my post-work ride that I eat dinner. Any suggestions on how much I need to consume to extend this window? Any specific recommendations on things that have worked for you?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
a gel packet post exercise, chocolate milk, snickers bar, a banana will all keep the carb window open. give it about 15 minutes post ride to let your metabolism shift over then slam something down and start rehydrating. keep nibbling until you reach a place to grab a good meal.

Stretch while things are cooking then pig out and then go shower cause you are probably grossing out every one else in the house with your BO lol

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think a new custom road bike will solve everything! :biggrin:

And you and IAB are definitely NOT OLD!

But I still think a custom road bike is the answer! :monkeydance:

It is your turn now right? :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Between the drive home, shower (damn poison ivy oil and ticks), and cooking, it's often over an hour after my post-work ride that I eat dinner. Any suggestions on how much I need to consume to extend this window? Any specific
recommendations on things that have worked for you?
Protein is really a key part of that post ride meal.

Endurox R4 is really good. Two scoops in a water bottle gets you the right amount of everything. I usually mix it before hand and keep it in a cooler in the car.

I've heard good things about Recoverite as well.

A regular clif bar hits the mark as well. I just have a tough time getting a whole one down especially in the middle of summer after hard rides. So that's why I mainly stick with Endurox for recovery.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
a gel packet post exercise, chocolate milk, snickers bar, a banana will all keep the carb window open. give it about 15 minutes post ride to let your metabolism shift over then slam something down and start rehydrating. keep nibbling until you reach a place to grab a good meal.

Stretch while things are cooking then pig out and then go shower cause you are probably grossing out every one else in the house with your BO lol
does beer count?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My legs have always ached after rides for the last few years. My legs would hurt so bad for the first 10 minutes into a ride also. Ive started eating PB & J sandwiches or PB and banana sandwiches after I ride and it has help a lot...

Ive also started drinking PLAIN water while I ride and then a Propel after. My legs have felt better this year than any other year I have ridden.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The last few times I've ridden - even with a day or two rest - my quads start screaming immediately.
That's how I felt when I started my ride today. It didn't get any better, either. Probably caused by a hot, humid and windy road ride on Saturday. It is hard to rehydrate and refuel in a day after those kind of conditions.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Protein is really a key part of that post ride meal.

Endurox R4 is really good. Two scoops in a water bottle gets you the right amount of everything. I usually mix it before hand and keep it in a cooler in the car.

I've heard good things about Recoverite as well.

A regular clif bar hits the mark as well. I just have a tough time getting a whole one down especially in the middle of summer after hard rides. So that's why I mainly stick with Endurox for recovery.
I liked Clif Recovery the one time I tried it. I am considering Endurox. I have just been riding with Nuun or Elete, instead of Accelerade and my legs tank after a long ride.

My legs have been stinging too, MBC, and I attribute it to trying to drop my heels on the bike. I haven't been able to ride any dirt, so the 30 - 50 mile sprints I have been doing a few times a week are smoking me.