Quantcast

It was clearly all a farse!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
All the Iranians I know are cool. No wonder they don't live there anymore...

Now I have to look up the difference between a Zionist and a Jew...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
They took time out of their busy lives to have a conference? That's just as dumb as the National Atheist Conference held here this year.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Where do the figures of "6 million" come from? Is it possible the numbers are exaggerate for political gain?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Where do the figures of "6 million" come from? Is it possible the numbers are exaggerate for political gain?
They issued each jew one of those "Take One" deli numbers. When the Nazis realized they were all fighting over the top three spots, they gased 'em.

Am I going to hell?

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
They took time out of their busy lives to have a conference? That's just as dumb as the National Atheist Conference held here this year.

The same could be said about the European governments who took time away from solving things like employment shortages and healthcare to make a law making it illegal to deny the Holocaust.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
They issued each jew one of those "Take One" deli numbers. When the Nazis realized they were all fighting over the top three spots, they gased 'em.

Am I going to hell?
You bastard!

That was probably one of the least sensitive things Ive ever seen written! You should be BANNED! I had a relative die at Auschwitz. My great uncle steve fell out of a guard tower and died!

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
This actually does take me back to college, I used to love to use Nazi Germany and Hitler for good "push the professors buttons" fodder. First one was in an intro Poly Sci class on an essay, who was the greatest leader in history, I used Hitler. Listed all the things he did to rebuild Germany after WW1, and all the programs and science he funded, but ended the essay with "And if he wouldnt have gone batsh*t crazy and started killing everyone, that is what we would have remembered". That got an A. But in my Nazi's and Germany history class, we had to read a book about the Holocaust and write a report, and while everyone was writing from the Jewish point of view, I decided to write from the SS officers point of view (I am a firm believer that if you cannot effectively argue for your opponents position, you do not understand your own). Showed how in the camps the Jews acted like animals, killing each other over food and such, even put a huge disclaimer on the front page stating why I did this paper in that way. That paper nearly got me expelled. I love PC sheeple.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
This actually does take me back to college, I used to love to use Nazi Germany and Hitler for good "push the professors buttons" fodder. First one was in an intro Poly Sci class on an essay, who was the greatest leader in history, I used Hitler. Listed all the things he did to rebuild Germany after WW1, and all the programs and science he funded, but ended the essay with "And if he wouldnt have gone batsh*t crazy and started killing everyone, that is what we would have remembered". That got an A. But in my Nazi's and Germany history class, we had to read a book about the Holocaust and write a report, and while everyone was writing from the Jewish point of view, I decided to write from the SS officers point of view (I am a firm believer that if you cannot effectively argue for your opponents position, you do not understand your own). Showed how in the camps the Jews acted like animals, killing each other over food and such, even put a huge disclaimer on the front page stating why I did this paper in that way. That paper nearly got me expelled. I love PC sheeple.
Alrighty then Hitler.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I decided to write from the SS officers point of view (I am a firm believer that if you cannot effectively argue for your opponents position, you do not understand your own). Showed how in the camps the Jews acted like animals, killing each other over food and such, even put a huge disclaimer on the front page stating why I did this paper in that way. That paper nearly got me expelled. I love PC sheeple.
There's a whole field of research devoted to understanding the psychology and history of the perpetrators. You're neither clever nor creative. From the "POV" you've summarized above it's clear that you didn't do any research into the existing work on the subject and just wrote the paper to be inflamatory. I wouldn't have expelled you, but I would have failed you.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You bastard!

That was probably one of the least sensitive things Ive ever seen written! You should be BANNED! I had a relative die at Auschwitz. My great uncle steve fell out of a guard tower and died!
You're topping Borat here, dude.

Wanna make a movie?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The last time someone asked me that I got kicked out of my church and pregnant.
Favorite duty call of all time:

"Officer of the Day, XXX Battalion."

"Uh, um, is there a Lance Corporal Davis in the battalion?"

"Yes, probably 10 of them. How can I help you?"

"Well, um, Lance Corporal Davis, and, uh, my sister, um, well, they had sex last night."

"Yes? Is there a problem with this?"

"Well, uh, sort of. She's, um, 14."

[Got my attention there...] "OK, I'm listening."

"Well, uh, like I said, I'm her brother, and I don't really want any trouble...I just want the film back!"

Wouldn't trade having been in the Marines for the world, but I'm happy I never have to deal with those calls again.

MD

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There's a whole field of research devoted to understanding the psychology and history of the perpetrators. You're neither clever nor creative. From the "POV" you've summarized above it's clear that you didn't do any research into the existing work on the subject and just wrote the paper to be inflamatory. I wouldn't have expelled you, but I would have failed you.
QFE

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Actually, I did, but I chose not to include what I found in the paper and instead focus on the more "popular reasoning" that the typical propaganda of that time, and this time, would portray. I did it to purposefully show how a soldier at that period in time who has lived through the depression and demonization of Germany after WW1 could be easily swayed by even the most absurd propaganda. And frankly, I wasn't inclined to give credence to what someone who has never seen a day of combat said the reasoning behind why soldiers did what they did, and instead chose to fall back on my own time in combat and the interaction I had with modern day genocide perpatrators from Serbia. Of course, I could have done what she wanted, and written a glorified book report, but frankly, considering I was a senior in college and paying for my education out of my pocket, I was going to be damned if I was going to do something so mundane when I could actually use some of the thinking skills that they were supposed to be imparting on me to learn something.

So thank you for your critique and summary of my research techniques of a 20 page paper based off a short summary. Your comments will be noted and summarily discarded.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Favorite duty call of all time:

"Officer of the Day, XXX Battalion."

"Uh, um, is there a Lance Corporal Davis in the battalion?"

"Yes, probably 10 of them. How can I help you?"

"Well, um, Lance Corporal Davis, and, uh, my sister, um, well, they had sex last night."

"Yes? Is there a problem with this?"

"Well, uh, sort of. She's, um, 14."

[Got my attention there...] "OK, I'm listening."

"Well, uh, like I said, I'm her brother, and I don't really want any trouble...I just want the film back!"

Wouldn't trade having been in the Marines for the world, but I'm happy I never have to deal with those calls again.

MD
My favorite moment like that while in the Army:

Phone rings, MP's on the other end.

MP: May I speak to Sgt Lemke.

Me: This is him

MP: Yes, we have a Pvt. Mendez here at the station, we will be keeping him for awhile.

Me: Dammit, what are the charges

MP: Pimping.

Me: Sweet...wait, thats bad.

MP: Yeah, thats bad.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Your comments will be noted and summarily discarded.
Apparently along with every bit of research ever done on the subject by people that may or may not have had not only combat experience but direct experience with the Nazi perpetrators. But what would they know? It's not like they devoted their careers to developing this understanding or anything. You're probably much better off just guessing 'cause you were in the military.

Don't worry, I'm not accusing you of being an apologist... I get what you were going for. I'm just accusing you of being bull-headed for the sake of shock-value and likely writing a paper with a pre-defined conclusion rather than testing of a hypothesis.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
:stupid: Push everyones buttons just to get a reaction and then act like a martyr when you get the desired reaction. it's always "their" fault, could never be anything "I've" done.:disgust1:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Actually, I did, but I chose not to include what I found in the paper and instead focus on the more "popular reasoning" that the typical propaganda of that time, and this time, would portray. I did it to purposefully show how a soldier at that period in time who has lived through the depression and demonization of Germany after WW1 could be easily swayed by even the most absurd propaganda. And frankly, I wasn't inclined to give credence to what someone who has never seen a day of combat said the reasoning behind why soldiers did what they did, and instead chose to fall back on my own time in combat and the interaction I had with modern day genocide perpatrators from Serbia. Of course, I could have done what she wanted, and written a glorified book report, but frankly, considering I was a senior in college and paying for my education out of my pocket, I was going to be damned if I was going to do something so mundane when I could actually use some of the thinking skills that they were supposed to be imparting on me to learn something.
Revolutionary, really.

And done MANY times by people smarter than you for more noble and compelling reasons long before you were born.

How could you possibly think that this was something new when the entire world wanted to find the roots of the rise of nazi germany?

You probably failed because your paper sucked, not because you overturned any sort of academic establishment.

You didn't even know how to spell speech until two days ago with the proper spelling in the title of the damn thread.:busted:

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
I've never heard that one before....

two "I'm a martyr" cliches in one paragraph - that's nice work, there. :nopity:
No, not a martyr. I took my C on the paper. (It was an F, but improved to a C after the petitioning by my old Poly Sci professor because the paper was well written, in depth, used outside research on the Nazi propaganda machine, and followed the format she wanted). What I took issue with was when she brought my paper to the attention of the deans in an attempt to label me as a neo-nazi sympathizer and violating some school policiy on hate speech(which was probably unconstitutional at best), and get me expelled. Even though the cover page of my essay clearly described that the views in the paper were not mine, that I was attempting to view the events from the side of the Germans, and try and glean insight as to how normally good people could get caught up in something as this.

And yes, I did do it in part to push her buttons, as I did in every class that was mundane and simply "repeat what I say, don't worry about thinking". I did not go to college to get A's and a piece of paper, I went to learn. Sitting through a semester of "Nazi's were bad" 3 days a week is pointless, I got that in High School, I get that on the History channel, I can get that from the thousands of books. I wanted to learn WHY they were bad, HOW people can get caught up in a huge propaganda campaign(kind of funny how that type of education amongst the population today would be helpful, huh?).

Just because you KNOW something happened is useless, unless you understand WHY.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I wanted to learn WHY they were bad, HOW people can get caught up in a huge propaganda campaign(kind of funny how that type of education amongst the population today would be helpful, huh?).

Again, this is what the majority of the work in the field is about. What do you think the academics did? Just catalogue the events and call it a day? Seriously, if you had read ANY of the work, especially that by psychologists you would have gotten several answers (many of them conflicting... turns out not all of academics agrees with each other... who knew?) and hypotheses to test, refute, or use as support as well as just get you further down the chain of thought than you would be able to on your own. THAT is what academia is about and for good reason. Unless it was a creative writing course.

If you had chosen the same path in my class, I too would have had serious questions about your intentions... although I would have just pulled you aside and made you explain yourself and then tell you why it was a bad academic paper and then probably make you re-write it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And yes, I did do it in part to push her buttons, as I did in every class that was mundane and simply "repeat what I say, don't worry about thinking". I did not go to college to get A's and a piece of paper, I went to learn. Sitting through a semester of "Nazi's were bad" 3 days a week is pointless, I got that in High School, I get that on the History channel, I can get that from the thousands of books. I wanted to learn WHY they were bad, HOW people can get caught up in a huge propaganda campaign(kind of funny how that type of education amongst the population today would be helpful, huh?).

You should have wrote on the front cover, "Not that I support Nazis, but..."

Hey, everyone is jumping on this guy's credentials, but he did pass the class and graduate. I have no idea if Kihaji a Neo-Nazi sympathizer, but writing a paper about SS in WW2 is a creative idea, and discussing the pros of Hitler's leadership is such a popular idea it was done in Star Trek.

But the PC world hates offensive ideas.

BTW, I think doubting the Holocaust is stupid not because it offers a differing interpretation of history, but that is blatantly wrong, ignorning documented events, and of course, forwarding an agenda with has nothing to do with the truth.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fvckin' jews need to stop whining.

I'm a jew and I'm just being inciteful, so keep your panties on. Plus, work is annoying today.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
About 2800 years, and the basis for a major religion.
Hah. Once again, duty stories come to mind...my driver, a PFC, was watching "The Matrix" in the duty shack, and I think I blew a fuse in his mind explaining the Buddhist parallels...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
About 2800 years, and the basis for a major religion.
I did not know that. But then again, I know fvck all about Buddhism.

(For those who are confused at this point, I'm referring to Plato's allegory of the Cave, and Hilary Putnam's amusingly updated version for the 1980's entitled, "What if we're all just brains in a vat?")