Quantcast

It was one year ago yesterday...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
That I broke my leg at Big Bear...

After one year there is a little bit of swelling left, I have full range of motion, and feeling. Total cost was 12.00, including parking. :D I have great insurance!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
johnbryanpeters said:
Nice work.

So how's the leg today?
leg's doing great. Much better shaving job these days... not so hairy. Full range of motion, a little swelling. Everyonce in a while I can "feel" the hardware. All in all not bad... not that I want to break anything else.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
oly said:
yea, whats up with that one random screw??
Screwing a break from a different angle, prolly can't see it from this angle?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SuzyCreamcheese said:
Actually, plates inside don't set off the alarms. At least the ones in my head don't.

The Cheese
Ok I'll ask... why do you have plates in your head?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jollytime said:
They must love you at airports!
I have ever only flown once and that was about 10 years ago. (I hate flying) I was able to go into a courthouse for jury duty without setting off alarms. Going to ireland in October but I think what others have said will hold true. They should have used Ti or Stainless (Stainless I think is what it is) which shouldn't set off the detectors. (fingers crossed)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
robdamanii said:
My piercing is surgical stainless and it sets off the hand held ones they run over you.

Then they grab it and I get upset....
i guess it all depends on who is grabbing it

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
Ciaran said:
That I broke my leg at Big Bear...

After one year there is a little bit of swelling left, I have full range of motion, and feeling. Total cost was 12.00, including parking. :D I have great insurance!

Ahh, so that's why you hate Big Bear so much. Lol, j/k dude. :)

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I've got some rods & screws in my back. The surgery was in 2000, and I've flown several times since then. No problems w/ metal detectors.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Skookum said:
Man i don't know what i'd do if i broke my leg. That must have hurt! :oink:
Don't worry, if you ever do I'll keep you up to date so you'll know what's going to happen next in the healing process. :D I think yours was nastier than mine.

lovebunny said:
hey dont forget about tom secors part! :eviltongu
Dude, I could NEVER forget Tom's part, or Holly's (posts here as OCDH, I think) Shoot, Tom knelt down and held my leg still for like 30 minutes till help arrived. Then he and Holly helped me get down the hill. Two very cool people.

And yeah, this is why I hate BB so much. I just know they placed that rock there on purpose. Where's my lawyer? ;)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
they actually use titanium. it is the only metal that the human body will not reject. at least i know that is what ended up in my arm.

i passed the 1 year mark back in may. i still do not have 50% range of motion in it and it still hurts all the time no matter what.

but it holds up well and it will probably never break again.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
biggins said:
they actually use titanium. it is the only metal that the human body will not reject. at least i know that is what ended up in my arm.

i passed the 1 year mark back in may. i still do not have 50% range of motion in it and it still hurts all the time no matter what.

You did your wrist up pretty bad, right? I seem to remember the pix of you arm/wrist/hand all twisted and gnarley lookin.

My doc told me that it was a pretty bad break but that I was super lucky that I didn't injure the joint. He said that I would have had a much longer recovery time and would have done therapy for quite a while. When I hear about other people's injuries I remember how lucky I really was. i broke the leg but it could have been much worse.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
biggins said:

Also stainless atracts bacteria0. I thought that Ti does not, but someone told me that it does, only to a much lesser degree than steel. Ti is also good becasue it flexes better. Ask you dentist about screws etc. Mine freaked when I went in a few days after knee surgery. EVen after I told them that all of the hardware was biodegradable plastic (designed to last for 6 weeks) they still called my ortho to check. The dentist said that teeth cleaning releases a lot of bacteris which in turn finds its way into you blood streem. Under normal circumstances it is too dilluted to do anything, but steel will atract/concentrate it which can lead to infection. If you have steel hardware in your body they have you take Penacillan (sp?) a week before any procedure. All of that was news to me. Anyone know why it works out that way?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
or this

it was crushed, both bones in my forearm as well as a wrist bone. joint damage tendon damage severe dislocation, compound frature.

in retrospect though it is kind of an experience that i wouldnt wanna not have in life.

even though i will never be able to wipe my ass with my right hand or do a pushup ever again....