Quantcast

It was only a matter of time...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Made it 2 whole months with top racks before I drove into the carport with a bike on..

Folded the tray in half and snapped the wheel straps but everything else seems to be fine. A few scratches from the towers sliding back but nothing too bad.

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
That sucks! But i can relate. On the way home from Whistler one time, my friends wife was driving his Subaru with a roof basket, bike racks, and bikes on the roof. We pulled off the highway and into a gravel parking lot. I awoke to a loud noise and looked back to see the entire assembly, including the factory Subaru roof rails sitting on the ground, bikes still in the carriers. The bikes weren't too badly damaged. Brake levers and masters, and one bent up bike carrier, but the roof rails coming out of the roof was a sight to see! Luckily we had some rope and tied the whole works back on and made it home!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That sucks! But i can relate. On the way home from Whistler one time, my friends wife was driving his Subaru with a roof basket, bike racks, and bikes on the roof. We pulled off the highway and into a gravel parking lot. I awoke to a loud noise and looked back to see the entire assembly, including the factory Subaru roof rails sitting on the ground, bikes still in the carriers. The bikes weren't too badly damaged. Brake levers and masters, and one bent up bike carrier, but the roof rails coming out of the roof was a sight to see! Luckily we had some rope and tied the whole works back on and made it home!
That's actually pretty scary. Is Subaru gluing their roof racks to the cars?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I remember my Honda CRV the rails said max 75 lbs - pretty much useless for DH bikes when you factor in the weight of the rack.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I remember my Honda CRV the rails said max 75 lbs - pretty much useless for DH bikes when you factor in the weight of the rack.
my hyundai santa fe said "60lbs". didnt last longer than 1 week, with my scott gambler on top, before one of the crossbars snapped and put a dent in the roof

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
This is exactly when I went to a hitch rack when I got a new car. I never drove my old car with roof rack into anything, but I came within 5 feet of driving into an underground parking garage in Sedona.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
It took me years(10+) before I drove my bike into anything. I always leave something in the way like a lawn chair/bucket. Two bikes(me one and the wife one) and no damage but a small crease in the top of the car.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Could be worse. I used to be a wrench and I remember at least two different occasions when people came in with wrecked bikes from driving OUT of their garages.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
i broke one off the roof cornering..... i dont wanna talk about it and my mom drove into the garage my bike on the roof and put a nice big dent in the quarter panel.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The other day I was just scooting down the ave. All Bad ass and everything.. A house was getting remodeled and tossed a bunch of boards and crap out. Well the way it was piled up it looked like a cool jump. So I doubled back and jumped it. In the pile it seems was a fluorescent light fixture. Chit went off like fireworks. Glass and plastic everywhere. I however was fine. Rode on to eat and on the way home I drove over a chard of glass from the destruction. It cut my tire like no other tire cut in the history of man. I walked home pushing my bike like a bad ass I tell ya....

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Wow sounds like I got lucky only damaging the rack! I got everything back into place and working properly minus the smashed rack. I don't know about later Subarus but my 2002's roof rails are bolted in and I've had two DH bikes on top no problem. ...Back when I had two racks :(

The worst part about all this is that I just put a mirror above the garage at my house so this wouldn't happen and then I come to my parents house and it happens on the first day. Fvcking fvck.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Didn't you make fun of me for this? Go steal an orange road cone. Put it in your driveway when you leave.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i usually take a pre-ride dump in the middle of the bay floor to remind me there's a bike on the roof

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
lol what?
Pack up the car late the night before an early start. Get a head start by loading the bikes too. Wake up way too early, fire up the car, and BAM!

Seriously. I'm not sure I would admit a maneuver like that, but people did, on two separate occasions. Makes ya wonder how much more often it happens.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I ALMOST drove my bike into the side of building while going to an ATM that was under a building (think 1st floor of a parking garage type of setup)....I knew it was going to be close, so I crept under it slowly until the saddle touched the side of the building. Then I knew it wouldn't fit, stopped and walked to the ATM.

Now that I don't own any bikes, it's much easier to avoid driving one into a building :rofl: