Quantcast

Italian wine help

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So, going to Oliveto for dinner and hope to drink an italian red with lamb or beef (steak) main course. I don't know much about italian reds other than relatively inexpensive stuff, and I know some of you are big fans. I'm doing some other research and in the end will probably go with a sommelier recommendation anyway, but if any monkies want to chime in the wine list is here:

http://www.oliveto.com/menus.html

Will want to keep it under $80 or so, which is more than I'd usually drop but it's a special occasion. Thanks.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OG, get the Bricco Manzoni from Rocche dei Manzoni...i grabbed a bottle of that for the last meal i cooked in Rome this past summer...outstanding wine! i had it w/ pork chops but it should be weighty enough for beef and lamb.

or at least ask the sommelier what he thinks.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks, I thought maybe you two would be the first to respond. BTW, it's a truffle celebration. Part of the staff goes to italy every year, brings back a pile of truffles, then puts on a series of dinners...

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the restaurant probably has specific wines they pair with special menus, go with their suggestions. if not, some other options are coming from opie himself (i emailed them to him)

have fun, mmm, truffles

-the wife

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
LadyOpie said:
you know i love this stuff. that's a pretty cool list.

recommendations:

La Macchiole Sangiovese/Merlot/Cab Franc
Serramarrocco Nero d'Avola
Montefalco Rosso Riserva
Produttori del Barbaresco, Barbaresco
Viviani Valpolicella

These are not in any order, I think any would be great. Not knowing
all of the list well, ask the wine person at the restaurant for
recommendations to pair with exactly what you order. They also have a nice list
of half bottles, maybe have 2-3 of those to pair with your courses!
Have fun, looks yummy.
I especially like my woman's idea of pairing half bottles with your meal. Maybe start with 1/2 bottle sparkling, then 1/2 red, finish with 1/2 desert wine, for example.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Viviani Valpolicella
w/o knowing if it's a ripasso, wouldn't that be a bit too under-bodied for beef and lamb?

of the others on Opie's list, the only i've had is
Produttori del Barbaresco, Barbaresco, and the Manzoni slays this, showing no mercy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'll post up more later but DAMN that was a top five meal of all time. As Ms. Opie suggested, they had a special selection of wines by the glass with pairing recommendations. We drank Gavi di Gavi, Barbaresco, and Borolo and reallllly enjoyed all of it. Thanks all.