Quantcast

It's 3am and I wanna go to bed...

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
...but it's 90 degrees in my house. I don't if my a/c is broken or what, but it's been "running" since I got home at 4pm and I can't get the place to cool down. I'm dying here!

Remember my post about my "bad luck" happening in threes? My dog ran away and bit someone. I broke my toe vacuuming. My A/C is dead and I've gotten 3 hours of uncomfortable sleep so far.

I'm sitting here in my boxers on the sofa, under the fan, drinking out of a gallon jug of water watching some weird Robert Downy Jr. movie. My dog (the good one, man-biter is in "doggy jail" for the next 7 days at the low, low cost to me of $380...) is lying on the tile floor panting. I have to leave for work in 3 hours. I've got my full-time job from 7am-2pm and then I start my secondary job tomorrow from 3pm-8pm.

Maybe I should get together with Graphics and a quart of Beam so we can discuss how much our lives suck. :nopity: :rofl: :help:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I've found out that alcohol makes me go to sleep...................

usually on a bathroom floor, which happens to be cold....

so, drink some alcohol and lay on the bathroom floor.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Well alcohol is what put me to sleep initially. I'm thinking that if I start drinking again, either A) I will pass out and be late for work, or B) I will show up to work hammered, which isn't necessarily a bad idea at this point but I'd better keep my job.

Anyways, it's now 5am and I'm still wide awake. I thought about starting the ~~~ Good Tuesday Morning!! ~~~ thread, but I'm most definitely the wrong guy to do that at this point.

I finished watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer. It's actually a very entertaining flick. I think it's one of those movies where you really enjoy it or you really hate it. It's one of those murder-myster twisted-plot movies that I think is quite funny as well. At least it's more funny than Fun With Dick and Jane which I'm watching now.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
That sucks. My AC broke about 4 weeks ago and I had to pay 5k for a new one. If your ac seems to be running but their isn't cools air, you should check the main fuse/breaker. The AC is 220 volts and a lot ot times only one fuse blows, so the AC blows but the compressor doesn't run.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Advice only to be followed by the brave and/or ignorant:

If your system is anything like most, there should be two fans. One inside and one outside. The one inside moves the air around the house. The one outside pulls air past the condensor to make the air cool. If you hear the fan inside running but not the one outside, go outside and try to kick start the fan with a stick, coat hanger, etc. It may be that the capacitor that kick starts the compressor motor is dead. If you can give it a little goose it will probably start right up. This is probably dangerous and stupid but it might work.

The big problem is that if the AC goes back off you are probably running the risk of a fire because the fan is technically "on" even though the fan isn't turning. Current is going through the coils heating them up. If you get the motor to start, turn the thermostat way down and don't leave the house with the AC running.

Have you had a big thunderstorm lately? That could have knocked it out.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I have central air, and a couple times a year, it's on so much that the whole thing freezes over... I turn it off for about 8 hours to let it thaw out and its fine. Look for 'snow' around the pipes...

vamkie

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
Crashby said:
I have central air, and a couple times a year, it's on so much that the whole thing freezes over... I turn it off for about 8 hours to let it thaw out and its fine. Look for 'snow' around the pipes...
especially if it has run non stop for 12 hours

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
We sold and moved out of our TH because we found it impossible to keep the top floor cool during the hottest parts of the summer...and it was brand new when we bought it. We moved into a 10-year old single-family and had no problems for several years but about a month ago while my wife was away for a week, our AC died also. It got up as hot as about 91 during the day for almost a week straight before my wife got home, freaked and called an HVAC contractor. It cost about $4K to replace both the internal and external units with more efficient models and replumb them, but it has been a meat locker in my house ever since...to the point I am uncomfortably cold.

Our old TH AC used to freeze up from time to time and we isolated it to the following situations:
1. When we ran it for more than 24 hours straight during hot weather
2. When we ran it ovenight on evenings that the outside temps dipped below 65 degrees
3. When we allowed the filter to get the least bit clogged from not changing it every 3 months
4. When our AC's moisture drain line got plugged and backed up water into the unit(which then froze and exacerbated the problem with drainage)

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
macko said:
I finished watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer. It's actually a very entertaining flick. I think it's one of those movies where you really enjoy it or you really hate it. It's one of those murder-myster twisted-plot movies that I think is quite funny as well. At least it's more funny than Fun With Dick and Jane which I'm watching now.

I love that movie.

"GATO!"