Quantcast

...it's a YouTube extravaganza!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's a differential with an electric motor on one of the outputs.
For all the power you'll have to dump into that electric motor, you could have run a generator off the engine and driven the vehicle from the electric motor directly.
its similar to a diff, but it is a transmission. also he states in the video that a electric motor can get power from the engine to run this tranny creating a hybrid system

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
That's me on Sunday for the first couple of minutes and again for the last 15 seconds when I land on my head. That's why my visor is gone. 720P

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
those bucket drops are pointless

a fire of that size in that building will require at least 2 engine companies and a couple ladders with all the 4 inch and flow they can muster to keep it from coming down.

way too much black smoke and very compartmentalized.
Evidently.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
its similar to a diff, but it is a transmission. also he states in the video that a electric motor can get power from the engine to run this tranny creating a hybrid system
Yeah, I understand all that. The layout and the label do not change the end result. It does the same job, mechanically, as a differential.

I won't knock it further until I see any numbers, but at high speed the electric motor will need to put out roughly the same amount of power as the gas engine. I have a hard time believing it will be much good for long distance travel.

Service vehicles with lots of idle time, maybe. Assuming the back-spinning electric motor can regenerate the batteries. That will require a lot of energy storage, though.