Quantcast

...it's a YouTube extravaganza!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
If there's one person I would call a legend it would be Doug Henry:

(first one might be a re-post.... don't really care though)
So I googled Doug Henry and saw he took a bad crash and now rides again, but what is that cage around him?

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
So I googled Doug Henry and saw he took a bad crash and now rides again, but what is that cage around him?
He was paralyzed in that crash.

I met him once when I was like 12 or so at High Point. My dad talked to him for a second then told me how he was paralyzed and all that. From what I could tell he was a cool person, but most the older pros are.

On that note I felt a little bad for laughing when he fell over in that curve.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I see.... How does he get his bike started/get off etc... Well I can see I guess, but does he have a rekluse clutch for shifting. Looks really hard to do, props to him x10.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I see.... How does he get his bike started/get off etc... Well I can see I guess, but does he have a rekluse clutch for shifting. Looks really hard to do, props to him x10.
Rekluse wouldn't help with shifting really, but you did get me curious.
http://www.vitalmx.com/news/news/A-Look-At-Doug-Henrys-Bike,3486

...and I thought adding a push-button bar-mounted lap timer to my bike might make things complicated.

To keep with some video content, this one is pretty funny.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

<edit> They were playing this at the Dew Tour and my daughter was freaked out that I knew all the words. I love this song.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
from the videos i've seen, he has the bike propped up and just pulls himself on. When he's finished he leans it against something and climbs off. An electric starter would cover the starting issue

The metalwork is a roll cage of sorts, suppose going over the bars could be nasty if you cant eject at all (think his feet must be strapped down too)

Just riding a crosser feet-up all the time is gonna be incredibly hard, the fact that he even seams to be able to get his scrub/whip on is just amazing!

This confirms it, the feet are strapped on:

http://www.vitalmx.com/news/news/A-Look-At-Doug-Henrys-Bike,3486

Last edited: