Quantcast

Its been a horrible past 6 days.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
First: My drive side crank strips at the pedal threads. Sent back to FSA for warranty, still waiting.

Second: Fork Disaster

Third and newset: Another Fork Disaster...

Goin down to take off the front wheel to put on a new rotar, and the compression bolt stripps on the fork legs. Great, now im really screwed.

How can this thing be removed, i didnt even tighten in that much at all, its just that crappy soft alumninum and i guess it finally gave way under not allot of pressure. Then to top it off, in my rage i spilled DOT fluid all over the bike. SO yeah, its been a bad week. And i got a 70 on my latin test. :stosh:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mack said:
And i got a 70 on my latin test. :stosh:
So you're not too good with English or Latin either, eh? Language is just not your bag.

Sorry to hear about your week. Hope it gets better.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Wow, that's a lot to happen in a week.

If you've got threads after removing other bolts, getting the wheel off:

If you've got some threads sticking out and can get a couple thin nuts of the right thread. Put the Nuts on and hold the outer one with a wrench and "loosen" the inner nut until it locks up tight with the outer nut, then while keeping a little pressure on the outer nut to keep it from slipping completely off, continue loosening the inner nut, it should bring the whole bolt with it.

If you Don't have threads:

A machine shop can tap the bold and get it out, you should be able to find one in the local yellow pages. If it's really bad they can drill out the bolt and retap the hole.

If you have any doubts:
Call the machine shop.

The problem is all the things you describe might be be defects, however, they might be related to the mechanic, not the bike. I don't know what your mechanical abilities are and I'm not making fun of you. If you are a good mechanic just ignore the next paragraph.

I was so bad working cars and bikes my dad told me I had no mechanical appitude, there were times I sat on the garage floor after F****** up my bike, and wanted to scream. I took a basic shop class, learned correct tool usage, what a torque wrench is and some basic techniques. I ended up in the Navy working on a nuclear sub. It's not hopeless. If you have any doubts in your abilities as a mechanic see if the local bike shop, community college, or whatever has a program to help you.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
One more thing. If just the head of the bolt is rounded, go to Sears ask the tool department for help. They have some special wrenches just for getting rounded bolts out. There are two versions, One wrench actually cuts it's way into the bolt head and it will get anything off(that doesn't break first)

Any doubts, try a machine shop.

J

JRB

Yup, mack. I knew that poor grammar would catch up. Relax, you should be done with your punishment in 35-40 years.

*bummer about the bike. Good thing you will be too busy washing cars and potties to ride it.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
**** latin,
No one ever actually uses it.

It's only ever used to prove how fancy and educated you are.

Ex.
Scientific names for things:
Birdyippidus Crowbunglius
Or
Crow.
Which one is a more effective means of communication??

Anyways, 70% is actually good, it's above average!

50% of the people you know are below average!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Actually I've begun to suspect that 90-95% of the people are below average, and the exceptional 5-10% who blow the curve are conning them, to prevent an anti-intellectual revolt.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Reactor said:
Actually I've begun to suspect that 90-95% of the people are below average, and the exceptional 5-10% who blow the curve are conning them, to prevent an anti-intellectual revolt.
heh

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
mack said:
At least id have a job. :thumb:
oh by the way mack??? YOUR FIRED!!!!!!!!

sorry dude.. couldnt resist..sorry to see that your down... things will get better , i swear they always do

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
mack said:
First: My drive side crank strips at the pedal threads. Sent back to FSA for warranty, still waiting.

Second: Fork Disaster

Third and newset: Another Fork Disaster...

Goin down to take off the front wheel to put on a new rotar, and the compression bolt stripps on the fork legs. Great, now im really screwed.

How can this thing be removed, i didnt even tighten in that much at all, its just that crappy soft alumninum and i guess it finally gave way under not allot of pressure. Then to top it off, in my rage i spilled DOT fluid all over the bike. SO yeah, its been a bad week. And i got a 70 on my latin test. :stosh:
Jeesbus man. Put the tools down... take 10 giant steps back :dead:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Yes, the 70 screwed with my A average in that class. HA! So i guess im not that stupid...

Here is a pic of what im dealing with here. I tried to drive a steel spike in the hole and tried to turn the steel, but it just broke off. The thing is the Alumuninum is just REALLY soft.

I tried drilling out two hole to get the steel spike out, but with no luck. Funny thing was i would say that i only tightened this bolt to about 25 NM when i put it on, thats low, when compared to the suggested torque of 45 NM! SO yeah, i guess the bolt had slowly been deforming around the Hex edges.

i tried angle grinding a slot in it to turn, but its not going any where. How will i get it out? Am I going to have to cut the axle in half and turn it to unturn the bolt?

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, where can i get TWO new bolts, preferably made out of steel?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Mack, Have you tried using some penetrating oil on it? Let the oil worm it's way into the threads for a day or two and try removing. Or maybe try a little heat. Get something like a crack pipe blowtorch that can concentrate the heat in a small area. Apply some heat and try to turn.

I think the bigger question is why is your brake adapter held on with a zip tie?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
If i heat the aluminum it wont weaken it? I thought it might affect the metal afterwords.

And my brake adaptor is not held on by zip ties, my fork guards are. They are 02 OEM forks and dont have the bolt holes.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
ioscope said:
**** latin,
No one ever actually uses it.

It's only ever used to prove how fancy and educated you are.

Ex.
Scientific names for things:
Birdyippidus Crowbunglius
Or
Crow.
Which one is a more effective means of communication??
Depends upon who you're talking to. ;)

If you're talking to an ornithologist "crow" isn't effective, there's too many types.

Most likely it's a Corvus brachynchos or C.caurinus 'round these parts. But I'm just being anal, and lots of experts have a hard time twlling a difference.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Do you bother to grease the threads on the axle before you installed it? You can try a standard (nonmetic) wrench since they tend to be a tad bigger. Line up one thats a hair bigger then tap it in with a hammer, then losen it. If that doesn't work carfully drill the head off the bolt and tap the axle through.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Brian HCM#1 said:
Do you bother to grease the threads on the axle before you installed it? You can try a standard (nonmetic) wrench since they tend to be a tad bigger. Line up one thats a hair bigger then tap it in with a hammer, then losen it. If that doesn't work carfully drill the head off the bolt and tap the axle through.
!!!!

I know why it got stuck!!!

When i had the fork accident fork fluid went all over it. I wiped it off with a paper towel and put it back in with some teflon grease (obviosly not enough) and the fork oil dried or stuck to the metal, kinda like lock tite. :think:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
mack said:
!!!!

When i had the fork accident fork fluid went all over it. I wiped it off with a paper towel and put it back in with some teflon grease (obviosly not enough) and the fork oil dried or stuck to the metal, kinda like lock tite. :think:
Stay away from your bicycle. Go to your LBS, ask to do an internship. You will learn a ton.

mack said:
!!!!

Unlikely. Fork oil would not seem a good choice for an adhesive.

The fact that you used a torque wrench says that there's some hope for you.

By the way, the bolt is not stripped. The Allen socket is damaged. Stripped means damaged threads.

Good luck with the repair.

J

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
blue said:
Stay away from your bicycle. Go to your LBS, ask to do an internship. You will learn a ton.

Ug!

Why is every one rippin on me!? I worked in a bike shop for 2 years, im not an idiot. **** happens, and often its hard to fix, a bike shop couldnt help my any more than my mother. :mumble:

The only way this is coming off is with an angle grinder, im cutting off the bolt and am going to tap it out. :thumb: Or I might try to use the band saw to get of the cap, im thinking it might do less damage. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
mack said:
Ug!

Why is every one rippin on me!? I worked in a bike shop for 2 years, im not an idiot. **** happens, and often its hard to fix, a bike shop couldnt help my any more than my mother. :mumble:

The only way this is coming off is with an angle grinder, im cutting off the bolt and am going to tap it out. :thumb: Or I might try to use the band saw to get of the cap, im thinking it might do less damage. :D
It's official - I'm never taking my bike to an LBS again on the *off chance* there is someone like yourself working in the shop. :think:

-S.S.-

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mack said:
If i heat the aluminum it wont weaken it? I thought it might affect the metal afterwords...
I don't think that you would need to heat it up that much... just enough to get the metal to expand and move a bit... Like when you can't open a jar lid and you stick it under the tap and run hot water on it.

Just a thought... I could be wrong. I have been in the past, and I am sure I will be again. But hey, it can't be any more extreme than the angle grinder.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I was joking about the angle grinder part...

I dont understand how any of this can be related to being a bad mechanic. Well, yeah the fork spill was my fault, but this wasnt. The bolt was torqued way less than recomended.

The band saw seems like the best best, because i can line it up to make a smooth cut and take the head right off. Now i gotta go see if i can find a tap that big, but im guessing i wont have to re tap the threads, ill bet that the remaining bolt will just turn right out.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I think that it's not that you're a bad mechanic so much as we all just like giving you crap. Remember: we're laughing WITH you. :D