Quantcast

It's been a while since we had a Lance News thread...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Armstrong facing Italian trial for defamation
Stephen Farrand
Wed Dec 14

ROME (Reuters) - Seven-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong will go on trial for defamation next year after losing a preliminary hearing against Italian rider Filippo Simeoni on Wednesday.

Italian judge Nicola Insiti decided American Armstrong should go on trial in Simeoni's home town of Latina near Rome on March 7 after he called Simeoni a liar in an interview with the French newspaper Le Monde in 2003.

Simeoni had given evidence in 2002 during the trial of Armstrong's former coach Michele Ferrari and said Ferrari had given him doping substances.

Ferrari was found guilty of sporting fraud and illegally acting as a pharmacist on October 1, 2004, but has appealed against the verdict.

"The judge decided that even though Armstrong's comments were published in France the act of defamation against Simeoni occurred when Simeoni read the newspaper via the internet," the Italian rider's lawyer Giuseppe Napoleone told Reuters.

Armstrong's lawyer Enrico Nan said he would fight the location of the trial.

The 34-year-old Armstrong will not have to attend the trial but could, under Italian law, face a jail sentence of between one and six years if found guilty.

Simeoni and Armstrong have clashed several times in recent years.

Armstrong was placed under formal investigation in August 2004 for 'private violence' against Simeoni after he chased the Italian down during stage 18 of the 2004 Tour de France.

But that investigation was closed earlier this year.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
N8 said:
Armstrong facing Italian trial for defamation
Stephen Farrand
Wed Dec 14

Armstrong was placed under formal investigation in August 2004 for 'private violence' against Simeoni after he chased the Italian down during stage 18 of the 2004 Tour de France.

But that investigation was closed earlier this year.
Uhh, isn't that part of the sport?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Simeoni is a jerk. It seems everyone in pro cycling hates him. Where as only 25% of people in pro cycling hate Lance.;)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Yeah, some of my co-workers are supreme dumb-asses. We got an email from IT this morning that if we call 911 one more time, they're going to change the phones back to way they used to be.:rolleyes:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
bluebug32 said:
Yeah, some of my co-workers are supreme dumb-asses. We got an email from IT this morning that if we call 911 one more time, they're going to change the phones back to way they used to be.:rolleyes:
"Um...Sharon is having a heart attack..She's dying!! Someone call 911!!!!"
"NO!! WAIT!!! We can't....IT said so....let's go get one of them to save her!"
"Hmmm...Looks like a hard drive malfuntion with a malicious virus code on top of it...." *snork*

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
They can't figure out how to use the new digital phones.

Old people + technology is more entertaining than Lewis Black on speed.
Totally true!
My dad who works at IBM installing the chip building equipment CAN NOT place an order online for his life!! :) I don't even want to tell you how many he's screwed up this season. He's a smart guy who is fairly up-to-date with new tech.

It was funny to hear him rant about cell phones last night. He's like "All I want is the phone to ring when someone calls and for me to dial out, is that so much to ask" He gets confused by all the buttons.
Not that I really disagree, I hate all the fancy crap that comes on phones but still, he's definatly getting old.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
stosh said:
Totally true!
My dad who works at IBM installing the chip building equipment CAN NOT place an order online for his life!! :) I don't even want to tell you how many he's screwed up this season. He's a smart guy who is fairly up-to-date with new tech.

It was funny to hear him rant about cell phones last night. He's like "All I want is the phone to ring when someone calls and for me to dial out, is that so much to ask" He gets confused by all the buttons.
Not that I really disagree, I hate all the fancy crap that comes on phones but still, he's definatly getting old.
My father is 60, and a PhD Chem E. He can't even figure out how to release/renew and IP address in XP. And he can't seem to figure out that "standby" on the cable modem does not mean "ready to work properly".

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
My father is 60, and a PhD Chem E. He can't even figure out how to release/renew and IP address in XP. And he can't seem to figure out that "standby" on the cable modem does not mean "ready to work properly".
Yeah well I bet he doesn't make up words like "snarky"

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
Nah, he looks at me with the same blank dumb stare I imagine you having when that word is mentioned.
Thats only because he's ashamed you're his son.

Thats was meant as a joke so don't take it personally Mr Take-everything-personally.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
stosh said:
Are you touching the cadavers in naughty places?
Not for any reason other than medical ones.

Although feeling up the female cadavers can be quite stimulating. And making the hand rub your female lab partners leg is LOL funny.

There are other things you psychopaths don't need to know.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
rooftest said:
Go to jail for 1 to 6 years for calling someone a liar? What kind of crap is that?
No kidding...what's up with that? Being called a liar isn’t exactly an endearing term, but it’s not THAT bad. I mean, Lance has been called a doper more times than you could count, but he never cried to his mama…

Maybe Lance should have just kicked this dude in the nuts instead…

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am actually curious about the outcome of this trial. This reminds me of the Paula Jones civil case against Clinton. He denied having affairs, but when questioned under oath he was forced to admit them (except for one lonely night in the Oval Office).

I wonder if there will be serious evidence to link Lance to doping and what his response will be "under oath".