Quantcast

It's effing early GMT 》》》》

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Rant warning
So. . . I am the trail director (I think that’s my title) of our local trail system. We have a 10.1 mile xc trail that is in a local billionaires property. I’m responsible for all trail maintenance/building/signage. It’s a volunteer position. Our organization also is set up as a 501c3 and we have a board of directors as we organize a few cycling related festivals.
We have recently purchased 16 acres adjoining the 200 acres we already use. We are planning to build a skills park, pump track and a more legitimate parking lot.
The whole board of directors is expressing their opinions on who and how the parking lot should be made. We’re talking base of 2s and too coat with asphalt millings. But now it has to be fucking complicated.
I reached out to 3 excavating companies that are riders and they are willing to donate time and equipment.

Now I have other board members saying we need to hire it done as they don’t think my guys are good enough.
Not sure how a laser grade controlled D6 isn’t good enough but what the fuck do I know.
Holy shit. Where’s the Tylenol.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just had an interview with REI after a recruitment call, I figured that I would check it out. My current shop job has absolute, ultimate flexibility, and ‘decent’ pay (for a ski shop job). I work as little or as much as I like, with any amount of vacation, which is usually 4 months or more, (we close during off season) all tallied up. However, there are no benefits, or insurance.
REI is offering same basic pay (actually a few $ more per hour), but with ridiculous benefits, cheap insurance for the family (like, $400 a month, Aetna, comp med, vision, dental, mental health, etc).
The only ‘downside’ is that it would require a 32 hour a week commitment, and that just isn’t why I have been doing this at the other job. REI has offered ultimate flexibility as well in terms of time off, but I would have to compensate hours to meet the 32 per week to stay insured.

Not sure what my move is here, I still have other gigs for $$, but nothing that could touch that insurance program. (We pay almost $2500 a month now combined).
TL;DR:

” how the FUCK can I do this, and still travel all over and ride four or five days a week?”

(I know, I know, first world problems…)

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Will REI let you work doubles? 2 16 hour days and you're done for the week, work Mon. Tue. week 1, then Sat. Sun. week 2, 4 days on, 10 days off.

Feel free to share your company discount with me in exchange for my brilliant scheduling advice.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Rant warning
So. . . I am the trail director (I think that’s my title) of our local trail system. We have a 10.1 mile xc trail that is in a local billionaires property. I’m responsible for all trail maintenance/building/signage. It’s a volunteer position. Our organization also is set up as a 501c3 and we have a board of directors as we organize a few cycling related festivals.
We have recently purchased 16 acres adjoining the 200 acres we already use. We are planning to build a skills park, pump track and a more legitimate parking lot.
The whole board of directors is expressing their opinions on who and how the parking lot should be made. We’re talking base of 2s and too coat with asphalt millings. But now it has to be fucking complicated.
I reached out to 3 excavating companies that are riders and they are willing to donate time and equipment.

Now I have other board members saying we need to hire it done as they don’t think my guys are good enough.
Not sure how a laser grade controlled D6 isn’t good enough but what the fuck do I know.
It's a parking lot. A place to put your car while you ride. It really doesn't need to be a whole lot more complicated than that. Save the $$$ for the fun stuff.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
that sounds nice but all of the work they're doing up there to "clean up" and make the trails "sustainable" unfortunately means they're redoing all of the trails and flowifying everything, ruining the character of what made it special in the first place. amirite @AngryMetalsmith and @jackalope ?
Hard to say what they're going after, as I agree that "sustainable" can be a dangerous word. I of course like the idea of cleaning up storm debris, but gotta keep the Grandfather District chunk. Although I will say the re-worked end of Yanceys is a welcome change IMO, and I think its the latter half of School House that could use some (a lot) TLC.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Still somewhat morning Monkeys.

Filed a defect this morning that seems to have stumped everyone. My job is done here. Waiting to see what our Lil Man visitation is during Spring break, but we are planning 1 trip to Lumberyard and one trip to Gateway Green for rides on his new whip. Also got snowed out for golf last visit, so we have a raincheck there, too.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Rant warning

If they are pushing back, ask very vocally and publicly, why the FREE services provided by cyclists who will be using the facilities and have a vested interest in them being done properly are not sufficient? Put them under the spot.

And if they want to hire it out still, have the three guys put in a bid as a group with only materials costs. Nobody else can beat that and the board will need to give a DAMN good justification for why they would want anything otherwise. They also might just be going through the formalities of cya.

@rideit Sometimes giving up a little bit of flexibility has absolute value for lifestyle. You're looking at better pay, better healthcare, more cash (healthcare). All for a little less flexibility. That's really sweet dude. Hard to argue against it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Hard to say what they're going after, as I agree that "sustainable" can be a dangerous word. I of course like the idea of cleaning up storm debris, but gotta keep the Grandfather District chunk. Although I will say the re-worked end of Yanceys is a welcome change IMO, and I think its the latter half of School House that could use some (a lot) TLC.
dude new end of yancey sucks. we now use it to climb and ride the old end as a 4 mile loop. Yes, they're rerouting schoolhouse. i'd just fix the few short gullied bots, but whatevs. they just drove a fucking machine down sinkhole to put a grate over the sinkhole. drove a machine down estes too. i'm fine with the little bit of maintenance they did on woodruff.

they need to just cut the new marks mountain trail and gtfo. fortunately a lot of the other trails are not "official" mtb trails and will be left alone.

@jebfour yes they neutered black in pisgah proper last year.

currently driving to boston to fly home because they had to keep my dad in the hospital 2 hours longer than anticipated this morning and i missed my flight put of portland, which was the only one going to charlotte today and i ain't staying up here another night.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Definitely need to check out the new section of Yancey. Is School House the one where the ruts are over your head and ridiculously narrow to the point it’s only rideable by pro trials riders ?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
dude new end of yancey sucks. we now use it to climb and ride the old end as a 4 mile loop. Yes, they're rerouting schoolhouse. i'd just fix the few short gullied bots, but whatevs. they just drove a fucking machine down sinkhole to put a grate over the sinkhole. drove a machine down estes too. i'm fine with the little bit of maintenance they did on woodruff.

they need to just cut the new marks mountain trail and gtfo. fortunately a lot of the other trails are not "official" mtb trails and will be left alone.

currently driving to boston to fly home because they had to keep my dad in the hospital 2 hours longer than anticipated this morning and i missed my flight put of portland, which was the only one going to charlotte today and i ain't staying up here another night.
Ughhh... Still have yet to experience Sinkhole. And now it’s been sanitized for my protection ?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Oh fuck this shit ! War, oil, the economy, and nao moar bobsled runs ? Can’t take it. Going to go chase some goddamn dirt ribbons while they are still there. On my unridable, 26” non electric Spitfire.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Unless they are too short, in which case they can bust out the spoke stretcher to fix that goof.
But that's the point...you don't need a spoke stretcher. That's the lizards trying to sell you shit.

Just run the cutter in reverse!! These are the tricks "they" don't want you to know.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Took a day to secure a travel insurance for the year. Seems mountain biking and having more than 120mm of travel puts you in the "uninsurable" category.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

O rly abt Yanceys? We rode it several months back before the last part was re-routed and I thought the original route was a dumb AF gully disaster- much of which really wasn't rideable and would likely change drastically everytime it rained hard. Apparently the old route went thru private land so they wanted to route it so it stays in public land. All that said, I'm sad to hear the re-route sucks...at least the rest of it was fun to my recollection.

Definitely think parts of schoolhouse needed to be rerouted because I don't think you fix those 9 ft waterfall channels. Hope it doesn't get emasculated tho. And that is most unfortunate about Sink Hole :disgust1:

Hope everything turns out OK for your pops.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
It's a parking lot. A place to put your car while you ride. It really doesn't need to be a whole lot more complicated than that. Save the $$$ for the fun stuff.
Exactly. I want to do it as cheap and easy as humanly possible.

@rideit no. Just the big fancy excavating company in town. Because they are shiny they are better and also expensive. The only quote we have for materials is from them. It’s mind numbing

@stoney. I presented two lower prices $5-9/ton lower. And when you need 550 tons it’s a pretty good savings. Was second guessed on “who” I got the prices from. And to add insult to injury the fancy company is quoting recycled concrete from their own pit. The lower prices were for limestone. Recycled 2s should and are a lower price aggregate. The real shit show is that I insure all 3 involved companies. So I can’t really get too shitty with anyone.

I would just say fuck it but I have tried and can’t get anyone else dumb enough to volunteer for what I do. :nope:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Karting has been done. Pretty sure I have whiplash. Haley and I raced in standard adult karts (vs. Jr or shifter) and I have reconfirmed that I hate driving with the masses. Two of the ten (same group coincidentally I'm sure :think: ) did not like getting aggressively passed, mind no hitting, just forcing people out to take their line. One decided to not lift on a 180* turn and hit me square on the side after being passed 2 turns prior. It was so hard that the alignment went off by ~30* on the steering wheel. In the cool down lap, both decided to hit me at once - one square to the side, the other flat out to the rear when I was wedged to the wall. Both have now been perma-banned from the chain, so... I don't feel bad for them. Because I hurt like hell. Needless to say, I'll be getting a collar and go back to only racing shifters and in smaller adult races when Haley is in them.

Also, FTS project just got extended into a "well, not all clients actually did their part, so you need to actually call some of them next week now. To make sure their lack of choice actually meant 'no' or if it was an 'oops, I forgot'". I already have 4 calls of the latter, so...

Wifey and Haley leave for TN tomorrow am, so Hannah solo until Sunday. Skiing Fri and Sat probably.