Quantcast

It's fact, TdF winner doped

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ok, maybe not the one you were thinking of, but...

1996 Tour De France Champ Admits Doping
By JAN M. OLSEN, Associated Press Writer

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Bjarne Riis became the first Tour de France winner to admit using performance-enhancing drugs to win the sport's premier race, further eroding cycling's credibility after a series of doping confessions.

His admission Friday means the top three finishers in the 1996 Tour have all been linked to doping _ and two have admitted cheating.
link

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
How does that erorde cycling's credibility? You mean Mr. 60% didn't have a crit level that high naturally? Christ, this is like finding out that Keith Richards has used illegal drugs...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
How does that erorde cycling's credibility? You mean Mr. 60% didn't have a crit level that high naturally? Christ, this is like finding out that Keith Richards has used illegal drugs...
The only difference is that I don't give a shiite if Richards injected baby urine and snorted clorox. He is a musician.

I do care if the heroes in my favorite sport compete cleanly. This sucks.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The only difference is that I don't give a shiite if Richards injected baby urine and snorted clorox. He is a musician.

I do care if the heroes in my favorite sport compete cleanly. This sucks.
You're giving cycling a level of credibility it never had. Doping's been part of the game since the start. Like I said, where do you think he got his nickname from?

(You still haven't answered where Lemond pulled that amazing time trial from, btw.)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
cyclingnews said:
After Bjarne Riis' confession that he used EPO during the Tour de France 1996, Miguel Indurain stated that he did not like the declarations of Riis, who was the one to conclude the Spaniards five-year reign. "I don't understand why he made these confessions eleven years after. But he is old enough and he will know better than anybody else why he did it," he said to Marca.

He believes that the confessions of Riis "did not do any favours for cycling. Actually, there are many people who hope that this sport comes out of this bottomless pit, and things like this take from everyone's courage."

Indurain does not want to take away from Riis' 1996 win. "I don't want to detract from what Riis did, but my impression is that he did not overwhelm me, that it was me who lost the Tour. I did all I could to be in front and at the end I did not reach this goal. Riis and many others were stronger, and if there was anything irregular or not then it is not my affair."

Indurain does not want to call Riis "Mister 60 percent" like many others do. "I am not the one who should judge his declarations because only he knows what he did and only he is responsible of what he did."
I always wonder what translations do to press statements and interviews.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Riis doped, Teh Jan doped, Floyd doped and between their victories a plucky Texan cleanly kicked all their asses.