Quantcast

Its fun to tell some one how screwd they really are!

splat

Nam I am
So I am a Unix admin , supporting a bunch od engineers. and So many of them feel they know how to run a system sooo much better than I. Well They had me build them a Large unix Server with a 12 Disk Raid 5 with a hot spare. after I deliver it I am told that they don't need me to administer it they will handle it and I am to basically buzz off. So I leave it alone , let them take care of it ( except for backing it up , I have nothing to do with the machine. )

well time goes By , 1 disk fails , the Hot spare Kicks in, ( they do nothing ) 2nd disk Fails , RAID 5 parity kicks in it still worked ,but was slow ( they do Nothing and I don't even know it has problems becasue I'm out of the loop) well today a 3rd disk died ! I get called in a panic!
I kind of enjoyed telling them they are so Efing screwed!

so At this point I have replaced the 3 Dead Disk, and re-creatingthe RAID set , I have called the Tapes back from off site , and they get to wait, and they are not happy about it !

Now they are saying what can we do so this doesn't happen again, and making it sound like it is my fault!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
You should tell them that in order to fix it, and make sure that it doesnt happen again, that they must give you [Dr. Evil] one miiiiiiiillllllllllllllliiiiiiioooooooonnnnnnnn dollars [/Dr. Evil]

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So does a unix base system have the same start-up sound option as Windows... if so - ":Nelson voice: Ha Ha" everytime they log on!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
Yeah, they are going to roll dice to decide how much damage they inflicted to each other.
Is that really any worse than dressing up like idiots and swinging blunt objects at each other? :oink:

;)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
Is that really any worse than dressing up like idiots and swinging blunt objects at each other? :oink:

;)
C'mon... everyone wants to get dressed up funny, drink alot and swing blunt objects at their friends.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I'm a college student (engineering student actually), but during the summers I work at a company that makes educational videos. I don't really have an official job title, but I'm more or less the DVD production and IT guy.

Anyway I know what you're dealing with. We have 3 levels of automated daily backups of everything on the sales database (tiny file) and 1 manual daily backup plus one automated weekly backup of the video editing systems now because people tend to run everything into the ground.

I created a Raid 5 array of 8 WD2500JB's last summer for the automated video backup server and it worked great until just over a year later when in a two week period 3 of the drives failed. (these were all 1 year warranty drives). I rebuilt that array and saved all the data and even replaced that array with a new 2.4TB array of Seagates to be safe. I know if I hadn't been there when it failed they would have ignored it and forgotten to do manual back ups so when the 3rd drive failed they would have lost everything.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
splat said:
So I am a Unix admin , supporting a bunch od engineers. and So many of them feel they know how to run a system sooo much better than I. Well They had me build them a Large unix Server with a 12 Disk Raid 5 with a hot spare. after I deliver it I am told that they don't need me to administer it they will handle it and I am to basically buzz off. So I leave it alone , let them take care of it ( except for backing it up , I have nothing to do with the machine. )

well time goes By , 1 disk fails , the Hot spare Kicks in, ( they do nothing ) 2nd disk Fails , RAID 5 parity kicks in it still worked ,but was slow ( they do Nothing and I don't even know it has problems becasue I'm out of the loop) well today a 3rd disk died ! I get called in a panic!
I kind of enjoyed telling them they are so Efing screwed!

so At this point I have replaced the 3 Dead Disk, and re-creatingthe RAID set , I have called the Tapes back from off site , and they get to wait, and they are not happy about it !

Now they are saying what can we do so this doesn't happen again, and making it sound like it is my fault!
Yet another reason that computers and idiots dont mix. :nopity: