Quantcast

It's good to be da king....or his daughter

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
This is gonna piss a bunch of you republicans off....

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/03/08/chelsea.clinton.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chelsea Clinton will start a six-figure consulting job after she receives a master's degree from Oxford University later this year, Newsweek magazine reports on its Web site.

The daughter of former President Clinton will work in the New York office of London-based McKinsey & Company, newsweek.com reported Friday.

Clinton, 23, accepted the position Friday after she reportedly turned down McKinsey's offer of $100,000 a year to work at its London headquarters, according to the Web site.

A spokesman for McKinsey did not immediately return a call for comment Saturday, nor did Bill Clinton's office.

Clinton, who is studying international relations at Oxford, will be one of 5,000 McKinsey consultants worldwide who research topics ranging from health care to corporate finance.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by splat
Hey I'm a republican ( mostly , don't always agree) But More power to her! I mean all the crap she has had to deal with I mean Going through High school and College with that much of a spot light on you ! had to be hell!
I meant guys like Damn True et al who truly believe clinton was the antchrist.

I agree. She got a freaking master's degree from Oxford. She deserves it.

What does dubya have again? GED?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by MMike
She deserves it.

Except first year consultants don't make $100,000/year. And McKinsey doesn't hand out consulting jobs like candy to anyone that waves a master's degree from a prestigious school in their face, let alone give them New York after they turn down London. Especially in the current economy

I'd like to see her grades and recommendations, but I'd have to say this is one of those rare occasions that McKinsey was aiming for some publicity. Not that I could blame them. Hard times even for the best of the best.

Good for her, though. I'd work every angle a could too. So I can't really hold it against her.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Good for her. She's probably quite bright, her mom and dad are both bright if not a little misguided. ;)

The previous statement is in no way an endorsment for the Clintons or their policys. Ummbikes reserves the right to edit, modify, or delete his statement. Firepower by Desert Eagle, dead aim by the grace of God.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't think they are looking for publicity. If you have the daughter working for you, you have access to the former president. Clinton is still an influential man, it will probably be well worth it for McKinsey.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Silver
If you have the daughter working for you, you have access to the former president.
good point. still not a ringing endorsement for Chelsea though...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking her. I have no doubt in my mind that she is very smart. So I'm definitely not trying to take that away from her. But I'm positive that at some level it's a "not what you know, but who you know" issue.

For a larger illustration of this phenomenon, look up the current president of the United States of America :)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Silver
"not what you know, but who you know" issue.

For a larger illustration of this phenomenon, look up the current president of the United States of America :)
i always thought that was the general rule of life man :confused:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by MMike
I meant guys like Damn True et al who truly believe clinton was the antchrist.

I agree. She got a freaking master's degree from Oxford. She deserves it.

More power to her. It had to be a tough row to hoe for her while going to Stanford and Oxford. Though the press did largely leave her alone I can't imagine what it must have been like to have the constant snickering going on while daddy was dipping his willie and lying like a rug about it.

Wonder if daddy's attendance at Oxford had anything to do with hers though? She wouldn't be the first person who got into a big-time school on a legacy.

I'm sure she didn't get the job based entirely on her qualifications, but at the same time, I am certain that she is no dummy. Stanford and Oxford don't give away degrees. Neither does Yale where her mom, dad and the current POTUS went as well.

Out of curiosity I am searching for their GPA's (probably sealed) but found this, kinda funny http://www.yale.edu/progs/whip_sheets/011998.html

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Not a big fan of her parents but, a close friend in the Secret Service gives the
utmost cretit as a great straight and narrow American kid. Good grades, no
partying, just another college kid. How about people just let her be.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
$100,000 in NYC is about the equivalent of $60,000 in most other cities. I think that kind of salary is very reasonable for someone with a Master's from Oxford. Of course, being the daughter of a former president does not hurt, but more power to her.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
It seems that we all hold a belief that despite our feeling for President Clinton either good or bad, that his daughter is allowed to have a good job and a happy life.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
$100,000 in NYC is about the equivalent of $60,000 in most other cities.
I'd have to disagree here. I made the mistake on passing on their offer a couple of years ago to go to a quirky IT consulting firm that bit it just in time for the offers from normal companies to dry up. Even during the tech bubble, those salaries didn't breach $70k at McKinsey. The way they're structured, ALL first year consultants have the same position, whether a Master's, Bachelor, or Ph. D, with the range from mid $50k to $70k plus bonus (not more than 15% even in the best years), assuming no prior consulting experience.

In the current economy, even MBA's are lucky to get over $80k from a consulting company.

Her last name got her a $30k/year bonus... though I should say again, I would do the same thing in her position and not feel a lick of guilt.

The only awkward part is that all of her associates know she's being paid more than them, but I think they're all smart enough to know why and not hold it against her.