Quantcast

It's Here! - Ventana El Rey 5" FS Build

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Frame came in today! Here are the pics! (Yes it's on the mantle in the living room. :clapping:) I'll post pics following in the build. Parts list below.

Frame:
Ventana El Rey 25” with 5” Rocker
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Fork: White Brothers Fluid 135mm
Head Set: Chris King
Wheels:
Rims: Salsa Delgado Disc
Hubs: Chris King HD
Spokes & Nipples: 14ga SS, Black Brass
Tires: Nevegal 2.2
Stem: Thomson Elite
Handle Bars: Easton MonkeyLite Carbon
Grips: Yeti Lock-Ons
Shifters: SRAM X-9 Trigger
Brakes: ’08 Shimano XT
Rotors: Magura Venti 180mm F&R
Front Derailleur: SRAM X-9
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-9 Long Cage
Bottom Bracket: Race Face X-Type
Cranks: Race Face Atlas 180mm
Pedals: Kona Wah Wah
Chain: SRAM PC-971
Cassette: SRAM PG-990
Seat Post: Thomson Elite
Seat Post Clamp: Salsa Rasta
Saddle: WTB Pure Race

Attachments

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
See if you can tempt Paul in to trying it out. He has yet to be tempted in to trying a 29'r. BikerBrit also and he is a Ventana nut any way.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Very nice! Looks like a bigger version of my X-5 (albeit a different color). And you've got a good parts spec going there. Very little I'd change, and it should be a solid but not-too-heavy build. Enjoy!
- Joe

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
You've got to have that together by next weekend. When you mount the fork and wheels can you measure the distance axle to axle for me?

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I now lust after no other man's bike! It's HUGE. But since I'm 6'7" with a 6'10" wingspan it fits perfectly. For reference I threw in a pic of my Jumbo sized Cannondale next to it.

I threw a few psi in the fork and was rolling it up and down the parking lot by my apartment. A BIG thanks to Lumberjack at Bike Works! He built the sexy wheels pictured below. (FYI BB Height is approx 13.5 & the axle to axle was around 46 1/2 in.)

Pictures of the build progress below (I really need to figure out how to embed pictures.) I put on the fork to measure for a cut and found that with another 5mm spacer I didn't even need to cut it. Haha, I'll get my setup dialed in and may take 1 cm off the top, but I might just leave it where it is (I've got 35mm of spacers in there now). I'm a big fan of the RF Atlas crank setup. The protective frame tape was frustrating, but aside from two bubbles on the down tube it went on well. The X9 front derailleur could prove to be interesting to setup. The flak-jacket cable housing was unique, we'll see how it works in the long run.

The chain, shifters, and brakes are getting put on tomorrow. Maiden trail ride will be next Sun, but I'm going to try to get the fork & shock dialed in a bit before then. Unfortunately I must now continue working on my mid-term and get some stuff prepared for work this week.

Attachments

chrismac

Chimp
Nov 3, 2006
doooode.. i know its blatantly obvious, but man you are one tall monkey!

that bike is huge.. i don't even think i could straddle that baby. i am stoked companies like ventana are there to provide the needs out taller riders who just want a dope bike. nice rig man!

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
46 1/2" is shorter than I thought it would be. Looks to be coming together nicely. No one is going to worry about the frame tape they are going to be in awe of the size of that bike. Take your time finishing it,

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Slight snafu, the Magura Venti rotors hit the fork. Darn, they look so kool. So back they go and I'm off to find some XT rotors. But nicely enough my brakes came pre-bled when I didn't think they would. :^)

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Turns out I have 2 180 mm Magura Louise Rotors in the garage so I'll try those out. Another 15 hour day at work and several more hours to go on my Engr. Analysis Midterm will kept me from working on it today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have an hour to mount the brakes.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
An absolutely FANTASTIC maiden ride today. A big thanks to those who were along for the ride today as well. Your tips & help are much appreciated. Pics to follow when I get them downloaded off my camera.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
An absolutely FANTASTIC maiden ride today. A big thanks to those who were along for the ride today as well. Your tips & help are much appreciated. Pics to follow when I get them downloaded off my camera.
I don't think you ever quit grinning the whole ride.:monkeydance:

We'll see if evilbob is the same next weekend after he gets his new 29'r.