Quantcast

It's hot as balls, let's talk winter commuting.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What bike, tires, clothing, lights etc is everyone using for cold temps and crappy weather? Thinking I need to step up my game this winter.
What bike are you using? Flat or drop bar. Cheap set of pogies could be a good hand option.

I love my Pearl Izumi Amfib stuff, but one of my favourite winter pieces of clothing is a Castelli soft shell jacket with "GORE-TEX INFINIUM™ WINDSTOPPER" as the selling point, water resistant and super warm.

Unfortunately for you, you've just missed out on the blow out sales that Planet Cyclery/Colorado Cyclist have been happening for the last few weeks. The prices on stuff was tough to ignore, I think I made at least 3 orders.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The plural use in the thread title seems optimistic.

Keeping my feet warm in winter is always my biggest problem. Flat pedals and hiking boots worked well for me during my brief winter commuting career. But that was a flat 8 miles one way. May have looked for something more efficient if it required more effort.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The plural use in the thread title seems like projection
no one said he was only snuggling up with his balls. or ball.

anyway, flat pedals for no cleat heat transfer, ski gloves (tried pogies but did not care for their inconvenience wrt minor comfort improvement), balaclava under helmet.

going to run the same tires year round: Schwalbe Al Grounders. picked those at 60 mm for volume vs their GT 365 offering.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for outerwear I go with usual bibs, lightweight extra tights, waterproof runway worker pants. On top a synthetic jersey over the bibs, another mid weight long sleeve layer, gore Tex pro shell. I add one more long sleeve layer on very cold days and if that’s not enough I drive.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fatbike w/studded tires so I can roll right into those fools that pull 30 feet ahead of the stop and into the crosswalk. Also, as many lumens as possible, 2K min to blast thru tinted windows, and a laser-beam.

Clothes depends on conditions, but conditions dictate speed to not sweat, colder it is, the faster I can go generally.

Whatever Toshi is wearing, 1/2 of that. Ski gloves will be perfect to make your hands damp and decrease your control.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The plural use in the thread title seems optimistic.

Keeping my feet warm in winter is always my biggest problem. Flat pedals and hiking boots worked well for me during my brief winter commuting career. But that was a flat 8 miles one way. May have looked for something more efficient if it required more effort.
The feet doesnt really matter if you are going from a warm place to a warm place, even an hour or so commute will be fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Macro balls, not my ball specifically. Obviously.

Also, the average number of balls is <2

To continue the pedantic pathway, balls are kept at a lower temperature than the rest of the body, the whole point of the scrotum. Shouldn't it be "hot as ass crack". Ass cracks get much hotter than balls.

Fatbike w/studded tires so I can roll right into those fools that pull 30 feet ahead of the stop and into the crosswalk. Also, as many lumens as possible, 2K min to blast thru tinted windows, and a laser-beam.

Clothes depends on conditions, but conditions dictate speed to not sweat, colder it is, the faster I can go generally.

Whatever Toshi is wearing, 1/2 of that. Ski gloves will be perfect to make your hands damp and decrease your control.
I have found that any significantly insulated gloves turn into sweat balls.