Quantcast

Its official, I got hit by a car

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
So last night I was riding home from work at 11:30 at night and I got hit on my bike. I was going along and this guy came flying out of the bank and didn't stop and t boned me. I rolled up on the hood and the whole shibang. I then proceeded to simply get on my bike and ride home, and suffered virtually no damage. My frame got a little scratched and my drivetrain is off kilter but nothing big, and I am pretty sure I scratched the hell out of his hood with my pedals. It was bound to happen because I have a lot of close calls, luckily the guy was going slow and he didn't mess me up or anything. Sure made for a wild ride home though.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I work till 11:30 at night, henceforth the trip home then. I was pretty visible too, it was a well lit area. The problem was that since there was no traffic the guy coming out of the bank didn't stop he just flew out of there, and to be honest I didn't look untill the last second because you don't expect people coming out of places like that at that time of night. The exit is also parallel to another building which makes it a bit of a semi blind corner if you aren't paying very close attention.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I actually almost hit a woman last night. She was follwoing a car that was driving with its high beams. So as the car past, I was seeing little more than big blue dots in my eyes. She was barely moving in that "comfort bike" sort of stance: ass on the saddle, one leg extended down, knee locked while coasting at about 1/2 mph. She was of course dressed all in black. She sort of wobbled out into the on-coming lane. I saw her at the last minute.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Glad you're OK...amazed that your bike wasn't totalled or at least a wheel or crank trashed. I'd probably have had more of an issue with being hit, myself...

MD

J

JRB

The Toninator said:
second. were you stunned? That dude is totally liable for the damage to your body and your bike.
Not necessarily.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
At least you're okay! You need to be careful riding at night; particularly on weekends when people have been drinking all night. You need to think for the drivers out there...be safe out there...

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
You know I didn't bother exchanging info because the damage to my bike was surprisingly negligable. The frame isn't even dented its just scratched and so is the non drive side crank arm. The rest I can wrench myself and get working fine, its a singlespeed so I just need to get the rear wheel trued and make sure the dropouts aren't bent or anything. And honestly I think I did a lot more damage to his car from my pedals and I didn't want to have any chance of paying for that. If I had been hurt or my bike trashed in any way I would have gotten some info. As it is I am looking forward to riding...on some trails far away from cars for the moment.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The Toninator said:
were you stunned?
:stupid:

You know how you crash, but the most damage is to your ego, so you get up pretending nothing happened and try to move along?

My guess is that eventho it sounds like the motorist's fault, Gumba had that kind of reaction.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
It happened right in the chase (at least I think its chase bank...they always change hands) parking lot next to Irondequoit hots on titus.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
johnbryanpeters said:
[rant]
Screw getting the info. :nope: Not for lawsuits, not for insurance. If both parties are basically all right, consider it a no fault. Sometimes you walk in the woods and a tree limb falls on your head. Tough. Nobody to sue, just real world.
[/rant]
I'm not "litigative," as Isoscope would say, or even litigious. And I don't think anyone should've been suing. But, as my old company commander used to say, an ass-whupping is timeless.

Then again, I'm much more reasonable in person than online, and tend to look on the bright side of not being injured. Although if my bike was damaged, I'd have sought to make the dude in the car help me pay (out of court) to fix things (not cosmetics)...if it was indeed his fault.

MD

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
johnbryanpeters said:
[rant]
Screw getting the info. :nope: Not for lawsuits, not for insurance. If both parties are basically all right, consider it a no fault. Sometimes you walk in the woods and a tree limb falls on your head. Tough. Nobody to sue, just real world.
[/rant]
Yeah, man for **** sake, **** happens, you don’t need to cry to your teacher, mommy, whoever, when something goes wrong. Glad your ok, but I hope you at least swore at him. You know, for good measure. Call a lawyer... jeeze, and then what waist a **** load of your time in court, sounds fun, id rather ride. But I’m not an American, haha.

MikeD said:
I'm not "litigative," as Isoscope would say, or even litigious. And I don't think anyone should've been suing. But, as my old company commander used to say, an ass-whupping is timeless.

Then again, I'm much more reasonable in person than online, and tend to look on the bright side of not being injured. Although if my bike was damaged, I'd have sought to make the dude in the car help me pay (out of court) to fix things (not cosmetics)...if it was indeed his fault.

MD
I rode my bike home in the rain bleeding once in Cambridge, holding the bars to get at shifter and brakes - the bar was no longer connected since the stem broke. The guy hydroplaned and ran into an underpass - I went over the hood. I didn't ask for papers then and I wouldn't now, absent clear and evident culpability.

Should I sue Vermont because I broke my arm while riding outlaw trails in a wildlife management area Saturday? I think not.

Oh yeah, punching someone out is moronic. :mumble:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You exchange info just in case you wake up the next day to discover something seriously wrong that the adrenalin was hiding.

You don't have to be litigious to exchange info. It's just smart.

J

JRB

HTFR said:
Yeah, man for **** sake, **** happens, you don’t need to cry to your teacher, mommy, whoever, when something goes wrong. Glad your ok, but I hope you at least swore at him. You know, for good measure. Call a lawyer... jeeze, and then what waist a **** load of your time in court, sounds fun, id rather ride. But I’m not an American, haha.
It's comments like yours that make Americans think some Canadians are idiots.

*I'm with LordOpie. Just smart to cover your bases. No worries for the Canadians since everyone must take care of them, so they don't have to worry about other actions. :thumb:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
johnbryanpeters said:
I rode my bike home in the rain bleeding once in Cambridge, holding the bars to get at shifter and brakes - the bar was no longer connected since the stem broke. The guy hydroplaned and ran into an underpass - I went over the hood. I didn't ask for papers then and I wouldn't now, absent clear and evident culpability.

Should I sue Vermont because I broke my arm while riding outlaw trails in a wildlife management area Saturday? I think not.

Oh yeah, punching someone out is moronic. :mumble:
There's a big difference between someone hitting you with a car on the street and you crashing on a trail.

This thread is getting a little hyperbolistic.

MD

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
well luckily your ok... but I think you should had gotten his info.. I have been in an accident or two. Adreniline kicks in at the accident , but sometimes the next day you can be pretty beaten up... you never know... Take it just in case

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Some funny stuff.

If you get hit in your car, all of you would want your car fixed. So he gets hit on a bike and all of a sudden he shouldn't want his bike fixed. Why is that?

Now if you are riding at night without lights then it is probably your fault. Most states have laws about needing lights or reflectors.

J

JRB

Did he ever tell us if he had lights? I'm thinking not since it seems to escape him to mention.