Quantcast

It's sad that it has come to this-

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
I was looking for projects with auditoriums and I came across this in the specs.

2.07 - CAST METAL SKATEBOARD DETERENTS

The recommended supplier is here - http://skateblock.com/default.htm

It's sad that it's come to enough destruction that people have to build into the architecture. It's also sad to not be able to skate, but when I was young and skated, we trashed some curbs. I wonder how much damage is really caused.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think that particular product is to prevent "appearance" damage. Such as skaters who carry around huge colored candles so they can wax a concrete ledge to grind.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
When I was living in fort collins, every one of their raised cement anythings/handrails had an 'L' shaped piece bolted to it. Pretty sad really.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Echo said:
I think that particular product is to prevent "appearance" damage. Such as skaters who carry around huge colored candles so they can wax a concrete ledge to grind.
They wax curbs??? I never thought of that. We just slid on painted curbs or smooth finished concrete. Grinding can smoke a finish. I guess as kids, we/they don't think about the cost of destroying the appearance of some part of a building. I just had never thought about it much until today.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
off topic...
but i gotta ask...
what do you do all day?

i mean, youve been here 1.5 days and have 69 posts already...
an avg of 63+/day....

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Dirty said:
off topic...
but i gotta ask...
what do you do all day?

an avg of 63+/day....
Please see first post of thread stating that I was looking for auditorium projects. That is in a database of construction projects.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dirty said:
off topic...
but i gotta ask...
what do you do all day?

an avg of 63+/day....
It's loco. Of course he has that many posts in a day.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
BurlyShirley said:
It's loco. Of course he has that many posts in a day.
What are you talking about? Apparently there is some guy named loco, but why do you say I am him, and why are you polluting multiple threads about it?

Who are you anyway? Are you the police here? Are you a moderator and I should shy away from you?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Everywhere I go around here, anything that is remotely skatable has skatertabs, although most of them are usually missing.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Tenchiro said:
Everywhere I go around here, anything that is remotely skatable has skatertabs, although most of them are usually missing.
I have seen some pics of stuff that would be fun to skate in Seattle, but never thought it would be a huge issue. I appear to be wrong.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The curch down the street got creative and welded little 2"x1" crosses every foot down all the hand rails. Those rails were perfect too because they are flat on top and it's only a few steps long with a nice run up.

There is a great free skate park in town though, but I still see a lot of kids skate at the church.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
pepe said:
I have seen some pics of stuff that would be fun to skate in Seattle, but never thought it would be a huge issue. I appear to be wrong.
There are quite a few skateparks around (public and private) so there are places for them to go.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Tenchiro said:
There are quite a few skateparks around (public and private) so there are places for them to go.
When I was a kid, there were not, but we did have some vert ramps. Most towns seem to have skateparks, but just recently on a trip I saw a huge skate facitlity abandoned. I can't imagine why they would do that.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
They closed a local one because "there wasn't enough supervision" --it was at a f'n public park -- so now it's a basketball court. Wonder if they are going to close that too since I don't ever see anybody supervising that either. Guess it is better to have the kids tearing up benches and skating in culverts.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Wumpus said:
They closed a local one because "there wasn't enough supervision" --it was at a f'n public park -- so now it's a basketball court. Wonder if they are going to close that too since I don't ever see anybody supervising that either. Guess it is better to have the kids tearing up benches and skating in culverts.
They don't enforce helmets here. It pisses me off, since that increases liability.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
The skater kids around here just walk around town with their boards tucked under one arm. As far as I know, it's not "illegal" to skate on the street or sidewalks. I've never asked one why they walk instead of skate.

The college campus here does have these "skater blocks" on most of the rideable architecture. It is ok to ride a board on campus as long as you aren't trying to grind stuff etc.

When I was in highschool the bikers and skaters would hang out downtown and "session" the city park, shopping center, parking garages, or what have you. We'd all get kicked out or chased by the cops eventually. A few times we were taken into the station in an effort to scare us. It ended up being more comical than anything. 'Cause the receptionist or another cop would say something silly like "You boys are just California Dreamin'". They'd let us go after we were finished laughing at them.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Having worked in commercial property management for years, I know the problems this presents. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against skating, but I have seen damage done to planters and curbs that goes beyond appearance, such as broken concrete. Then there is the appearance issue. Business pay big money for office/retail space and having things marked up by boards has an effect on potential business.

Then there is the most important reason, liabilty. With people being so apt to sue, property owners run the risk of being sued if someone is hurt, regardless of the fact that the prop manager had no control. Hence the need to prevent it in the first place.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Upg8r said:
Then there is the most important reason, liabilty. With people being so apt to sue, property owners run the risk of being sued if someone is hurt, regardless of the fact that the prop manager had no control. Hence the need to prevent it in the first place.
One thing that is nice is liability is no longer a factor. Skateboarding is now considered "an extreme and dangerous sport". That's why you can have free public skate parks because a person who chooses to skate assumes the risks involved. Same rules that apply to hang gliding, skydiving, and some others.

If freeride mountain bikes were also classified under that, then building freeride parks and trails would be a lot easier too because you woul dno longer need waivers.

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
pepe said:
Wow - google indicates skating is not allowed on most college campuses.

It isn't allowed on my campus, the little campus police chase people off. Me and some of my friends got busted one night for hanging around on campus pulling wheelies and jumping stairs...The cap said it was mostly liability issues that made the school ban skateboards and "trick riding".

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The business across the street from ours has a bunch of "No Trespassing" and "No Skateboarding" signs posted all over thier property. This is not a "nice" building and the only thing worth skating is thier loading dock. They can't be concerned about appearance damage.
They get tagged at least once a week, usually more. We have only been tagged once that I can remember.

I just think it's hilarious.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Mudpuppy said:
My bank has a sign that says "no skatebording, rollerblading, biking, or ballplaying" So, it's getting worse....I mean, who is worried about ball playing?:clue:
The day my bank chases me off for playing with my balls, is the day I switch to a credit union.

pepe said:
Please see first post of thread stating that I was looking for auditorium projects. That is in a database of construction projects.
...and dude, seriously. 69 posts in a day and half? I'm not sure I could do that even if I did have the time!

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I skated for more than 12 years and I must admit that I'm a little ashamed,
when I think about how much architecture I've trashed while grinding.

But running from the cops is still fun.