Quantcast

It's Saturday. Good morning all.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Karting in gas karts on a new track with Haley this morning, Hannah has a bday party to attend. Otherwise, need to schedule time to talk with solar guy to get ball moving on install.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Morning. Trying to type up an about me for my new site :doh:
Planning to do my annual drive around my fields and pick up assholes trash. It’s surprising the amount for garbage that blows out of peoples yards.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning, cupcakes! I've got 18 miles to run this morning, the highlight of which is a 6.55 mile race. I've done this race three times before and finished 6th place overall each time. Let's go for four!!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Anybody know off hand when modern geometry really became established? Looking to see if I can find a used bike for Wifey and want to know when I can just stop looking backwards. Thanks!

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Anybody know off hand when modern geometry really became established? Looking to see if I can find a used bike for Wifey and want to know when I can just stop looking backwards. Thanks!
Modern Geometry? :twitch: Established?? :tinfoil: Probably be better off focusing on what the current drivetrain is.

Going to remove the drop handlebar setup from the K-Monk and put back on the Enduro bar/stem/brakes but keep the Rotor 12 speed cassette. Anyone happy with GX Eagle derailleur with a higher spec shifter? X01 or similar??

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Modern Geometry? :twitch: Established?? :tinfoil: Probably be better off focusing on what the current drivetrain is.

Going to remove the drop handlebar setup from the K-Monk and put back on the Enduro bar/stem/brakes but keep the Rotor 12 speed cassette. Anyone happy with GX Eagle derailleur with a higher spec shifter? X01 or similar??
Geometry is more my focus. Longer, slacker geometry. Stability is of far more concern for her than drivetrain, since that is easily changed. And there was a point 5-ish (maybe more) years ago that things shifted to more DH-like geometry. Longer TT, lower BB, slacker HT, steeper ST, shorter stem, etc.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Geometry is more my focus. Longer, slacker geometry. Stability is of far more concern for her than drivetrain, since that is easily changed. And there was a point 5-ish (maybe more) years ago that things shifted to more DH-like geometry. Longer TT, lower BB, slacker HT, steeper ST, shorter stem, etc.
When I was browsing frames last year, was focusing only on BB. A bike is going to fit or it's not. Have never warmed-up to the slacker and lower movement.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think about 2016, maybe 2018. Personally I'm with @Muddy that you don't really need a 420 inch top tube to ride effectively, but YMMV. There's a good middle ground in that time period before people really became convinced you need a geometron for XC rides. I think bikes are actually moving back in that direction...but yeah anything after 2018 is probably going to fit like anything from 2022.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hi all
hope to get a few miles on the road today, and maybe some orders placed. I need to un-enroll in dental but was too dumb to not do it after the qualifying event, figuring I'd wait for open enrollement...which never happened.

I've been sitting on a shopping cart at planet cyclery for a few weeks and it looks like they just took away all the discounts. oops

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I thought you were an accountant or something. Before I ever buy a bike I make a spreadsheet with all of the options that I am debating with all relevant numbers to my decision. If you are looking at a fuel ex there are a few bikes from 15-16 that have similar numbers, but you can run into forward compatibility issues, ie not boost.

As a full grown Wookiee, longer and lower the better.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I thought you were an accountant or something. Before I ever buy a bike I make a spreadsheet with all of the options that I am debating with all relevant numbers to my decision. If you are looking at a fuel ex there are a few bikes from 15-16 that have similar numbers, but you can run into forward compatibility issues, ie not boost.

As a full grown Wookiee, longer and lower the better.
The bike is for Wifey, who's 5'6" and will not be getting upgrades, so no concerns there. I am more focused on getting her the easiest to ride, most stable bike. She won't be doing any kind of steep or proper switchback riding, so issues around tight corners are virtually non-existent. I'll run through year-by-year spreadsheet, but knowing I can just start at say, 2015/16 is an easy baseline.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
^now I have brain and eye cramps.

Gonna see if I can get a 1000 or two grape cuttings in the ground today. If successful, I’ll be joining the sore back club this evening.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all

I think we will watch Shang Chi this morning

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Needed a good workout and got it. 15 minutes on the rower, 10 miles on the trainer, and some free weights. Haven't been able to workout consistently with all the contractors coming and going during the week for the bathroom reno.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Used a gift card for the nursery I got from the MIL. Among some pretty flowering stuff I got a willow which is great spring plant for the pollinators. Also got a dwarf conifer for the neighbor for his birthday. Best part was the Robin who was super eager to go through fresh dug dirt. Feel blessed to live inside Copenhagen and have wild life like that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Morning. Trying to type up an about me for my new site :doh:
Planning to do my annual drive around my fields and pick up assholes trash. It’s surprising the amount for garbage that blows out of peoples yards.
As fun as it is to make fun of Indiana you seem to have land and access to heavy equipment. I assume you have been holding out on pictures of a sweet pump track or dirt jumps.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
More stuff from amazon arriving today, kinda stoked on the mini pressure washer I ordered. Still refitting and organizing in prep for the long haul.

Had to buy a new line chaser and tone generator to label all the audio wiring in the coach in prep for new speakers for the new entertainment system as well as the drivers car audio portion. Massive subwoofer will be involved since I have the room, muah ha ha ha

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not that warm here, but sitting in the sun on the patio at the back of the house sure is nice.

I got the gravel bike out, but it's getting harder and harder to get up out of this chair.

:wave:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
New track is slippery and karts super delayed power band. Not a huge fan and neither was Haley. The track layout was really good and forced you to be mindful of speed carry though, which was a ton of fun.

Nothing to do this afternoon and Wifey's with Hannah at a bday party, so back to our normal track for more laps.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Late recovery spin over Mass. line and back, 65miles/4hr. Gravel bike in gravel setup, just needed to get the sticks back in motion.

Kept it to the Heritage Trail, stopped for espresso in Westfield before heading back South. There was a group of 10-15 wing nuts holding up poster board with handwritten 'R U tired of the Lies' and other assorted misc. brainwashed ramblings. One fella brought a bullhorn.

Felt like challenging the 'establishment' but instead carried on carrying on.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am still testing negative and have no symptoms so into the woods for a solo ride I shall go. It's sunny but a bit cold, shall be a good ride.