Quantcast

Its Tax time, How did you do ?

How did the Government trat you ?

• Owe $5001+ ( Bend over and Take it like a Man )

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Owe $1001 - $5000 ( (taking it but at least I got some lube )

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Owe $501 - $1000

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Owe $101 - $500

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Owe $1 - $ 100 ( I got off easy )

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Got Back $1 - $100 ( At least I didn't owe )

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Got Back $101 - $500

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Got Back $501 - $1000 ( this will help pay some bills )

• Got Back $1001 - $5000 ( I getting a New Bike ! )

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Got Back $5001+ ( what the hell am I doing loaning the US that much!! )

• Total voters

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
not exactly sure of the figures yet, but I'll owe about 11K
I'm not complaining though, it was a very good year :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i hate owing, and i procrastinate. So i claim 0, and i have incentive to get it done online as soon as the paperwork comes in late January.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Where's the option for "Moved to another country where they do it for you"?

Or for some people "I'm a shady geezer who doesn't pay taxes"

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Total fed/state around a $350 refund.

I'm amazed by the people that who get large refunds (and are sometimes even proud of the size of their refund). Why let someone else bank your money for months, when you could be banking it yourself?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Still trying to sort out the details and the obscure laws. It looks like I will owe somewhere between 1-14K:(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
justsomeguy said:
I'm amazed by the people that who get large refunds (and are sometimes even proud of the size of their refund). Why let someone else bank your money for months, when you could be banking it yourself?
It's easy: I'm not that great with money.

Small chunks of money are easy for me to let burn a hole in my pocket. At the end of the year, I get a grand or so back, and it gets tossed into a savings account - that's easy to do. If I were to be getting that in increments of $20/week, I would likely spend it.

Yes, I understand that I could be earning interest on it. It doesn't matter, though - this works for me. It's $20/week that I know I won't spend and at the end of the year, my savings account gets a big chunk.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
This year was the farthest I have ever been from breaking even. I owe the fed $263, I owe the state of CO $7, and I am getting $60 from MI. In the past I always owe the fed but the state has owed me almost the same.

I am one for I would much rather have the little bit of money all through out the year.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
where's the option for:

"the only good thing about living in NV is no income tax"

Got just over $1800 back. The past couple of years CA has been bending me over, but not this year.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I didn't work one day last year and got back over $500. Gotta love unemployment :) Go figure they pay you when you aren't working AND you still get a tax return.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dfinn said:
where's the option for:

"the only good thing about living in NV is no income tax"

Got just over $1800 back. The past couple of years CA has been bending me over, but not this year.
I need to move back to nevada.

I didn't make enough to get raped, so I get back like 180 or somethin like that.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I'm looking at a total tax liability of about $14,000. I’m OK with it considering I had been sending them almost 20k for a few years there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
justsomeguy said:
Key words from my post:

"large refund"
How does my post, in any way, not apply to larger sums of money?

You didn't ask me specifically, I was just stating a reason why someone might be inclined to let the IRS hold on to their money until the end of the year.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
binary visions said:
It's easy: I'm not that great with money.

Small chunks of money are easy for me to let burn a hole in my pocket. At the end of the year, I get a grand or so back, and it gets tossed into a savings account - that's easy to do. If I were to be getting that in increments of $20/week, I would likely spend it.

Yes, I understand that I could be earning interest on it. It doesn't matter, though - this works for me. It's $20/week that I know I won't spend and at the end of the year, my savings account gets a big chunk.

same here, plus my itemized amount was surprisingly higher than normal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
maxyedor said:
T least you have it nailed within 13K
I'm in a very weird situation and it all depends on how to define the cost basis of a piece of family property. The property changed hands within the family but no money was ever exchanged, the house fits under the gift allowance but the rules are very sparse for this particular situation.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I got back more than I planned this year, no idea why. Gotta change my withholding again, F giving the government free loans.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We always owe a little state and get back federal...this year:
State owe $172
Federal refund $1538
Not too shabby, but thank god for write-offs and the fact that I keep good paperwork/receipts.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Went from grad student last year to full time gov job this year. I sort of underestimated what taxes we'd end up paying so we owe $1700. The only positive is that we did actually manage save money this year and can pay it. Sucks but what can you do?

J

JRB

I think we get about $2500 back. It would be less than $500 had Caroline waited to come, but it's ok. I don't really care about giving a small loan, as I don't save well to pay when I need to. I have done it both ways and know my preference. I really need to go ahead and do my finalization and send my taxes off today.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I love having a Dad who runs an accounting firm. He made sure I setup a nice little tax shelter (my coaching Biz). Any money I spend related to riding bikes is deductible, any bicycle or fitness-related goods I own are deductible one-time as things I brought to the bussiness. A portion of my mortgage is deductible as a home office. The only things I can't write-off are food for the most part, as the rest of my life revolves completely around bike riding.

I mean if I buy a new pair of shoes, there is a very real possibility that I will wear those shell-toes to ride my bike, ya know?

I should be getting about a grand combined. I'll put that into the travel fund, and deduct it next year!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
State income tax is for suckers.
i got 1500 back. i let them do it because i'm not disciplined enough to save it myself AND with that little amount there's NO WAY the accrued interest would be more than a couple of bucks for the year. So F the trouble.
I’m going to crested butte for a week.