Quantcast

It's the little things that make me love you.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And I'm not talking about any of you guys. I have been contemplating selling my DH and 575 to replace with an SB-66 and ARC.

In my process of getting the DH ready for sale, I swapped my brand new Easton Havoc bars over to my 575 and my Monkeylite DH bars to the DJ. I've ridden the 575 with a wider bar, but it was always a flat and didn't feel right. Just doing the hallway fit test it felt better, but not exceptional.

I also decided to take the seat off my roadie to see how it would feel on the 575. From '99-'06 I only ran Sella Italia Trans Am Flite Ti saddles; they fit just perfectly. After my back surgery though I was unable to get the correct rotation in my hips to use it anymore, so I put it onto my rarely used roadie. I've been riding the roadie a bit and haven't been having any numb issues, unlike my current WTB on the 575.

I had a chance to screw around with my seat height, angle and location. Settling with a slightly lower saddle height and sliding it a bit father back in the rails than I had been setting up with the WTB. I did all of this right before a ride, so I didn't even have a chance to parking lot test it. After my first little parking lot loop I raised the seat a bit, but rode the rest of the trail (an 8 mile loop) as I had set it at home. Climbing was great and those are two words that should never be combined. The descent was a totally different animal! It actually felt nimble and properly flickable.

It is really shocking how much getting the cockpit dialed in properly does for the ride. The bar I added is just under 2" wider, the saddle ~15mm wider and 20mm longer. I love how the new trend is wider bars for everybody, but the widest bars are now just getting to the same shoulder-bar width ratio that normal sized guys have had for years.

Now that this thing is finally dialed fully, I think I'm going to keep it and not buy the SB-66. The DH is still going though; I just can't justify keeping it. If I start riding DH again, I will be able to pick up a newer bike in a year or two for equal to what I can sell this for. I think I might just pick up another Look roadie and start knocking out the miles again. I've been wanting to do another tri...