Quantcast

Its time to change rear shoxs...

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i decide to change shoxs during two months so i need good advice , which two rear shoxs to buy ??

now both are little too soft and its set to hard, so i dont know which i can put i mean which size so here is pics of them..

fox vanilla rc 600x2,80 and fox float r...

i will change both ofthem so bring it on..

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
2 avy's!!!!!

or just a platform dampened shock so you can bump up the bottom out resistance if you feel its too soft

a good budget fix would be to get your rc pushed, but i dont know how reasonable that is in your area

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
i will sell both shoxs and buy new,because i have good offer for both and i was planing to change them while ago so now its the time,i hear that RISSE is not very good ?! that was my first choise but still i dont want to buy anything before i ask some people...

thx

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Don't waste your time getting a risse. I had a risse juniper and I was not very pleased with the lack of dampning or adjustability. I even sent the shock back three times to have them revalve the shock and it still wasn't even close to the performance of all of top shocks.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Dump the two shocks and get an Avy 9x3,0. You will then have an Armageddon which rides much better and which you can use for both DH and freeride.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
OR, keep the air shock but change the Fox RC. Isn't the air shock there only for the last 12 or 13" inches of travel? How much performance do you need for that?

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
can you post a pic of the whole bike?

I love my dhx 5.0 if i was you i would get one of those and a fox rp3 for the air shock....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
gangstamaxx said:
can you post a pic of the whole bike?

I love my dhx 5.0 if i was you i would get one of those and a fox rp3 for the air shock....
Good call.

Don't fall into that Avalanche trap!!! ;)

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
i am waiting to army come from NY so army will be for dh/fr and apoca. just for big drops...

here is pic of whole bike (little old) i rise my upper crown high i can get(now its pure 300mm of travel) and i get my seat way forward so when i drop seat dont hit tyre so its only that i change on him...

i was thinking to buy avy but i dont know will it fit and which "model" or maybe some other brand of shox?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
isn't hat the bike with 12" of travel front and rear, that is so kickass, but a bit too much for me, when are you going to drop off of the empire state building :D

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Dirtjumper999 said:
isn't hat the bike with 12" of travel front and rear, that is so kickass, but a bit too much for me, when are you going to drop off of the empire state building :D
It's 13" rear travel.

Downhiller said:
i was thinking to buy avy but i dont know will it fit and which "model" or maybe some other brand of shox?
I'd stick with Avy or Fox for the main coil shock (measure the eye to eye length). Although I think it's 9.0x3.0. For some reason I remember reading the Apoc and Army had a custom Fox RC size. The only other size it could be is 8.75x2.75. For the air shock, I'd leave the one you have there or get a higher end air Fox shock. Same thing, measure eye to eye.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Keep the float, and swap the RC for a avalanche. I've got one, and it's insanly good. You'll love it.
Nice bike btw.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
man, listen if you really want to kick ass, through an rp3 and a romic on it. lol, actually i think x-fusion and mozo just had a clearance sale. hahaha. but seriously, do you actually use all of that travel, i maen i know it would just be a trail bike for rossie o'donnel but, in all seriousness do you actually go off things that are so big that you need 13" of travel?

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
ok avy is final (i hope i choose good)

but which model should i choose??

this are some messure i make and itsnotperfectin mm but its around:

*24 cm is from point to point where its start and end of shox
*4cm is space between two things for erar end (sorry i dont know how can i call it on english)
*1,5cm is "clamp" of shox and its perfect no space for anything bigger..

* and the green thing icirce around is around 1/2 cm so in system how is on apocalypse i fear if i put bigger shox it will not fit..:dead:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Downhiller said:
ok avy is final (i hope i choose good)

but which model should i choose??

this are some messure i make and itsnotperfectin mm but its around:

*24 cm is from point to point where its start and end of shox
*4cm is space between two things for erar end (sorry i dont know how can i call it on english)
*1,5cm is "clamp" of shox and its perfect no space for anything bigger..

* and the green thing icirce around is around 1/2 cm so in system how is on apocalypse i fear if i put bigger shox it will not fit..:dead:
Ok, based on your measurements, your 24cm long shock is really 9.5" long. That's kinda weird but whatever, I knew some Karp frames had strange Fox RC sizes. So you need something that's 9.5"x3.0". Easy to find. Craig at Avalanche will sort it out for you. He'll tell you what will fit and what won't (remote resevoir vs. piggyback). .

Forget about changing the air shock for now. Either way, if you get a new air shock it'll still be the same size as your current one so it'll fit. Remember, you're just changing shocks, not getting bigger or longer ones.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
bullcrew said:
FALL, FALL, FALL. :D
No question on a bike with that much travel an avy would be perfect.
Set it soft and let it progress through the travel, buy a used one and see what you think.
Hey CR! got an s8 super for back up to my bxr wc.
LOVE IT!
I just like to be up against the Avy crowd. Although one day if I ever get back into actual DH riding, I'm thinking of trying out one of those Montie shocks and finding a DHF-8.

The S8's are taaaall. Should work well though. I still have my modded S7 sitting in the corner. I just need to get one of the newer lower crowns that has 2 pinch bolts on each side and get longer bushings. I found a place online that makes bushings for all industries. It's just a question of finding time to take the fork apart and measure everything up.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
essentially, yes. If you can fit the piggyback shock, go for it. Get the Woodie model. The piggyback shocks have some clearance issues (I know they wouldn't fit my disco), but if there's the space, you'll save $50 without sacrificing performance. Looking at your frame, though, it seems like it may not fit.