Quantcast

its turdsday gfmt....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
when your population is next to nothing....i would expect nothing less i guess...

cool...
Anywhere can do this. It’s a choice. Renewables are by far the cheapest power now. Our advantage/headstart/luck was that we built a lot of hydro damns in the 50/60/70s as well as coal but even then this was from a desire to both to avoid fossil fuels and their market. We are a longcat country though with a very rough sea between our islands. Our grid isn’t simple. Our largest hydropower facilities are located at the very bottom of the South Island generally furthest from where it’s needed most.
We have chosen to ditch the coal though, for the most part but we have coal generators connected to the grid, now simply unused for weeks and months at a time.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Anywhere can do this. It’s a choice. Renewables are by far the cheapest power now. Our advantage/headstart/luck was that we built a lot of hydro damns in the 50/60/70s as well as coal but even then this was from a desire to both to avoid fossil fuels and their market. We are a longcat country though with a very rough sea between our islands. Our grid isn’t simple. Our largest hydropower facilities are located at the very bottom of the South Island generally furthest from where it’s needed most.
We have chosen to ditch the coal though, for the most part but we have coal generators connected to the grid, now simply unused for weeks and months at a time.
i do not think los angeles or new york could do it in their wettest dream...

i don't think we can just go all willy nilly damning shit up without a enviormental study on the impact of this or that or the other.....just a guess...

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
i do not think los angeles or new york could do it in their wettest dream...

i don't think we can just go all willy nilly damning shit up without a enviormental study on the impact of this or that or the other.....just a guess...
Maybe not but LA could do a tonne with solar and wind, and NY would also be a great place for offshore wind.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anywhere can do this. It’s a choice. Renewables are by far the cheapest power now. Our advantage/headstart/luck was that we built a lot of hydro damns in the 50/60/70s as well as coal but even then this was from a desire to both to avoid fossil fuels and their market.
*dam*

You mean you did the exact same thing every developing country on the planet did in the 50s-70s including the US?

How does 'as well as coal' indicate a desire to both avoid fossil fuels and their market?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Maybe not but LA could do a tonne with solar and wind, and NY would also be a great place for offshore wind.
former presidents and the wealthy who preach such things unfortunately do not like their ocean views cluttered with such nonsense....

even john kerry would scoff at the notion...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
*dam*

You mean you did the exact same thing every developing country on the planet did in the 50s-70s including the US?

How does 'as well as coal' indicate a desire to both avoid fossil fuels and their market?
i hear china is so green they just build coal plants in other countries...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
former presidents and the wealthy who preach such things unfortunately do not like their ocean views cluttered with such nonsense....

even john kerry would scoff at the notion...
They’re dumb. Off shore wind can easily be out of sight.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
*dam*

Yup. The grid was shit back then though so power couldn’t transmit as far (so places far from hydro needed coal). The difference has been we chose to get rid of coal rather than just keeping it around. The US could have easily built more nuclear and/or a better grid than we could have ever afforded. For a while you did. You also have plenty of hydro options. As somebody said, a few unnatural lakes are a lot better than 3.5°C warming.
they also build the biggest dams on the biggest rivers

and yet....
The west outsourced like literally 80%+ of our manufacturing there so it’s not too surprising that China now has the largest power needs on the planet, huge population aside. Their per capita CO2e is still way less than Americans even with that factor.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The US could have easily built more nuclear or a better grid than we could have ever afforded. For a while you did.
......but we turned it over to mostly entirely private sector energy management so they frequently melted down.

Companies kinda like most of the 'green' energy corps popping up now to take advantage of subsidies.

Probably fine. This generation has more clever logos.

My larger point was mostly that 'building a bunch of dams' has little to do with a long term trajectory. Here you've got wonderful little companies like patagonia simultaneously pushing for the idea of a greener energy future, and backing huge campaigns to tear down hydro dams.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
......but we turned it over to mostly entirely private sector energy management so they frequently melted down.

Companies kinda like most of the 'green' energy corps popping up now to take advantage of subsidies.

Probably fine. This generation has more clever logos.

My larger point was mostly that 'building a bunch of dams' has little to do with a long term trajectory. Here you've got wonderful little companies like patagonia simultaneously pushing for the idea of a greener energy future, and backing huge campaigns to tear down hydro dams.
It’s sad that anyone would consider removing a hydro dam before removing a coal plant. Wild in fact.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just had a look. So NY is in fact building loads of offshore wind. Great stuff. All approx. 1GW farms too, good work.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The US could have easily built more nuclear and/or a better grid than we could have ever afforded. For a while you did. You also have plenty of hydro options.

It was going so well too, right up until the environmentalists got in the way of us actually protecting the environment. Shitbag founder of the Sierra club teamed up with Big Oil and went on an anti nuclear crusade, then the hippies started demanding all dams be removed, and forget building a new one to save the red dicked trouser trout or something and here we are. In our beautifully retarded State we’re decommissioning perfectly good nuke plants and firing up old natural gas plants to increase generating capacity.

Here we sit with too little power, too little water and too many Sierra Club environmentalists that for some reason we’re not allowed to either burn as a means of power generation nor water our lawns with their blood.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
They’re dumb. Off shore wind can easily be out of sight.
Living in a country that has a lot of offshore windfarms, I have to say they are not always out of sight. Currently there is a discussion if new windmills should be build in the South of Fyn. The neighboring cities (besides the one that would benefit from the tax income) are against it because this is a pretty tourist-y destination and a large percentage of their income is based on that. There are also concerns for the marine mammals and seabirds that are taken into consideration.
And if Changleen now says the science is not supporting this impact on animals, I can tell you that colleagues of mine work on exactly that and also can show it. Further, universities tend to bow to "big wind" here as well. Not too long ago a professor at another university that did research on the impact of windmills on bats and birds and published critically about this, got fired. Reason seems to be that the university values sweet sweet industry contract research more than scientific integrity, and big wind sure pours a lot of money into research that shows how great windfarms are.
Same shit as with the oil/tobacco/... industry. Whenever there is big money involved, thing go sideways.

To get this straight: I am not saying that offshore windfarms are not a possibility, but like with every major project, they have impacts on nature and society. Positive and negative.

That said, with the current fall storm, electricity is nearly free for me ATM. :cool:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Living in a country that has a lot of offshore windfarms, I have to say they are not always out of sight. Currently there is a discussion if new windmills should be build in the South of Fyn. The neighboring cities (besides the one that would benefit from the tax income) are against it because this is a pretty tourist-y destination and a large percentage of their income is based on that. There are also concerns for the marine mammals and seabirds that are taken into consideration.
And if Changleen now says the science is not supporting this impact on animals, I can tell you that colleagues of mine work on exactly that and also can show it. Further, universities tend to bow to "big wind" here as well. Not too long ago a professor at another university that did research on the impact of windmills on bats and birds and published critically about this, got fired. Reason seems to be that the university values sweet sweet industry contract research more than scientific integrity, and big wind sure pours a lot of money into research that shows how great windfarms are.
Same shit as with the oil/tobacco/... industry. Whenever there is big money involved, thing go sideways.

To get this straight: I am not saying that offshore windfarms are not a possibility, but like with every major project, they have impacts on nature and society. Positive and negative.

That said, with the current fall storm, electricity is nearly free for me ATM. :cool:
1) https://theconversation.com/wind-farms-are-hardly-the-bird-slayers-theyre-made-out-to-be-heres-why-79567

2) Painting black stripes reduces kill by around 75%.

3) The overall harm of fossil fuels is literally destroying the viability of most life on the planet. The harm factor of wind farms compared to fossil fuels is laughably minute. How about we save ourselves from climate catastrophe them worry about if we can do even better? Seriously, the argument that we shouldn’t do this because a few bird might die vs. the harm of collapsing entire ecosystems and making society untenable is… just..

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Woah! That's a whole lotta travel!!!
And yet apparently pedals great. I noted in the comments though people were mentioning the group test winner, a bike by Deviate, which apparently as good/better and considerably cheaper. I haven’t seen it myself.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Deviate is a Scottish company.
I'll let you both go learn what a claymore is in that context.
Didn’t know that. It is a sword then. I’m guessing the modern mine is named after the ancient sword. Hadn’t ever thought about that. I generally try not to think about modern weaponry I have to say.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
1) https://theconversation.com/wind-farms-are-hardly-the-bird-slayers-theyre-made-out-to-be-heres-why-79567

2) Painting black stripes reduces kill by around 75%.

3) The overall harm of fossil fuels is literally destroying the viability of most life on the planet. The harm factor of wind farms compared to fossil fuels is laughably minute. How about we save ourselves from climate catastrophe them worry about if we can do even better? Seriously, the argument that we shouldn’t do this because a few bird might die vs. the harm of collapsing entire ecosystems and making society untenable is… just..
Do you even do science, bro? Do you only read the single article that supports your opinion? That is fine, but like I said, my colleagues work on this and have a very differentiated view on it. Are you aware of the noise pollution the offshore wind farms generate for marine mammals? The polution that all the supply, repair and construction ships cause? The changes in wind patterns that large wind farms generate? The change to the sediments in the areas of the wind farms?

Your have to think more wholistic if you want to save the planet. If it is just about the climate, then the quickest solution would be to just ramp up the use of nuclear power massively. Which, we all know, causes other issues.
We should not make the same mistakes that we did when embracing previous technologies like nuclear and go all in on one. For transport, we need to get away from EVs as battery techology and solar panel production is controlled by China. Even if we start now to try to change it, we first can be relatively independent from their control of rare earth metals and lithium production in 15 years. So why not go to hydrogen-fueled transport as some European car companies have the developed technology already in the drawers? The ICE ban the EU is pushing is not helping with this.

Critizising Germany's dependency on russian gas, we are making the same mistakes over and over again. Everybody is just short term fixing things w/o telling people that a change of lifestyle is needed. Riding a regular bike instead of an ebike would be a start. ;)