Quantcast

iTunes help needed...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So I have finally upgraded my sony MP3 player to an iPod. Is there a way to transfer all the music I have saved on crappy Sonicstage to iTunes? or will I have to spend another 8 hours doing it cd by cd:plthumbsdown:....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
All of your files are in that format?

Ugh. That's a proprietary Sony format.

Does Sony's SonicStage software have an option to convert them to MP3?

I was afriad you were going to say that..let me check in the options and see if they have some type of format conversion...D

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
there's an option to convert them to wav...but that's about all I can find...D
Yeah...you could convert the Sony proprietary format to .wav then do another conversion from .wav to iTunes...

But at that point it would be about the same amount of time (and a bunch of lost quality) as just re-burning you CD's in the 160-192 kbps range.

I burned all my cd's at 160 into iTunes.....should gone 192. There's an audible difference...a bit more space is eaten, but, to me, it would've been worth it...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Yeah...you could convert the Sony proprietary format to .wav then do another conversion from .wav to iTunes...

But at that point it would be about the same amount of time (and a bunch of lost quality) as just re-burning you CD's in the 160-192 kbps range.

I burned all my cd's at 160 into iTunes.....should gone 192. There's an audible difference...a bit more space is eaten, but, to me, it would've been worth it...

hmm.. I looked in itunes but the highest it offers is 160...D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I would recommend NOT burning them to AAC with iTunes. Burn them to MP3. That way any player will be able to play them.

Actually - check with narlus on details of ripping. He's the man when it comes to all things audio....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I would recommend NOT burning them to AAC with iTunes. Burn them to MP3. That way any player will be able to play them.

Actually - check with narlus on details of ripping. He's the man when it comes to all things audio....

I should be able to do this in the preferences tab right?...D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I should be able to do this in the preferences tab right?...D
I looked in iTunes and it doesn't appear to *allow* you to change what format you rip in... :think:

Also - it appears to me that iTunes converted my mp3 files into its own format when I "imported" the tunes. I now have two copies of my music on my computer... one in my original burn directory and another in the iTunes music directory.

God iTunes is retarded. :disgust1:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
D, if you are starting from scratch (ie, re-ripping and compressing your songs from cds into a compressed file format), i would recommend that you do it using ExactAudioCopy (www.exactaudiocopy.de) as a ripper, and using LAME as the internal compressor. i use Variable Bit Rate, which makes sense as the algorithm bumps up the bit rate on musically complex passages, and lowers it for simpler ones. the end result is that you have a higher fidelity mp3 file for about the same size, as compared to a Constant Bit Rate file.

hydrogenaudio is a good forum for this stuff, but can get very esoteric.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
D, if you are starting from scratch (ie, re-ripping and compressing your songs from cds into a compressed file format), i would recommend that you do it using ExactAudioCopy (www.exactaudiocopy.de) as a ripper, and using LAME as the internal compressor. i use Variable Bit Rate, which makes sense as the algorithm bumps up the bit rate on musically complex passages, and lowers it for simpler ones. the end result is that you have a higher fidelity mp3 file for about the same size, as compared to a Constant Bit Rate file.

hydrogenaudio is a good forum for this stuff, but can get very esoteric.
Narlus I wish i knew what you were talking about...I'm so elctronically ignorant it's pathetic...all I know is it's been over an hour and I still can't get itunes to copy my music in MP3 format and then move it into my nano...I'm trying to be patient but at least the sony software was so easy to use...I didin't even need a manual and I was up and running in no time.....D

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Narlus I wish i knew what you were talking about...I'm so elctronically ignorant it's pathetic...all I know is it's been over an hour and I still can't get itunes to copy my music in MP3 format and then move it into my nano...I'm trying to be patient but at least the sony software was so easy to use...I didin't even need a manual and I was up and running in no time.....D
Cliff's Notes:

Basically you take your CD's and rip them with "ExactAudioCopy" using the "Variable Bit Rate" setting (Higher quality, less space).

Then! you take the already ripped songs (which are in the MP3 format) and using iTunes' [File]-[Add Folder to Library] option, transfer (read: copy) the folder where the original MP3's are.

iTunes will take all the MP3's that you initially ripped with ExactAudioCopy and copy them into the iTunes proprietary format (AAC---file extension: m4a)

So now you will have an iTunes copy and an MP3 copy of the same song. Sort of a backasswards backup...but that's what I initially had to do. I had all my CD's and dl'd songs through Windows Media Player (.wma) and then just selected the folder and transferred it to iTunes.

That help any?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
iTunes will take all the MP3's that you initially ripped with ExactAudioCopy and copy them into the iTunes proprietary format (AAC---file extension: m4a)
Don't do that, it will take twice as long (as far as encoding goes), take up twice the space on his computer, and lowers the quality for his nano.

iPods work with mp3s too, so all he has to do is rip his CDs to 160 VBR mp3s.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Cliff's Notes:

Basically you take your CD's and rip them with "ExactAudioCopy" using the "Variable Bit Rate" setting (Higher quality, less space).

Then! you take the already ripped songs (which are in the MP3 format) and using iTunes' [File]-[Add Folder to Library] option, transfer (read: copy) the folder where the original MP3's are.

So now you will have an iTunes copy and an MP3 copy of the same song. Sort of a backasswards backup...but that's what I initially had to do. I had all my CD's and dl'd songs through Windows Media Player (.wma) and then just selected the folder and transferred it to iTunes.

That help any?
I'm a moron:disgust1:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Don't do that, it will take twice as long, take up twice the space on his computer, and lowers the quality for his nano.

iPods work with mp3s too, so all he has to do is rip his CD to 160 VBR mp3s.

see I'm a bit confused. I changed my preferneces to DL songs using the MP3 format but then when I right click on a song one of the options is "convert this song to an MP3 file"...WTF??

So I do that even though theoretically it should have orginally been DL'ed in the MP3 format and I end up with 2 copies of the same song...argh!!....my cheap little sony mp3 player is looking better by the minute:plthumbsdown:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
is there some other program I can get free that is easier to use than iTunes??...I'm on the verge of kicking my monitor in:rant:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
damn...3 hrs and not a single song on my nano yet...maybe it's me...D

EDIT: it says to drag songs over manually but I get an error message saying the file isn't in the right format.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
damn...3 hrs and not a single song on my nano yet...maybe it's me...D
Should have bought one of these Barracuda's, easier to use. I was up and running about 2 hours from receiving it to processing an average of 300-400 emails an hour with practically flawless accuracy out of the box. Awesome and no marketing bull****:thumb:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
is there some other program I can get free that is easier to use than iTunes??...I'm on the verge of kicking my monitor in:rant:
You can try WINAMP. It works for me... it reads both my ipod and my Creative Zen. Not sure on what it can do for you on transferring the music from the sony player though.

Personally I would re-rip my CD's in as high a rate as you can (I second the rec to ask Narlus about which format and all), and then transfer to your ipod. Then store the newly ripped files on your server or PC or wherever.

I have more music than will fit on my players (4 gigers) so it's all on a server here at home. I just copy over what i want when I want to through Winamp. It works basically the same as itunes in that it's just an interface, but I think is more user friendly and gives you more layout and visual options. The basic version is free.