Quantcast

I've always said road racing is the most dangerous cycling activity.....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You said "activity". To be fair, I'll agree that road racing is very dangerous. Those nuts are always taking extreme chances.

But as an activity, well, I've crashed dozens of (probably closer to 100) times on dirt with two trips to the ER for stitches, but I've never been down on my roadie. I just don't think as an *activity* with a small group of friends or solo that it's all that dangerous.

That story was wild tho and I hope she heals completely.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
LordOpie said:
You said "activity". To be fair, I'll agree that road racing is very dangerous. Those nuts are always taking extreme chances.

But as an activity, well, I've crashed dozens of (probably closer to 100) times on dirt with two trips to the ER for stitches, but I've never been down on my roadie. I just don't think as an *activity* with a small group of friends or solo that it's all that dangerous.

That story was wild tho and I hope she heals completely.
I said road racing, not riding with your buddies. :nuts:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, that was a dramatic crash - road crashes are simply awful. All week when I heard sirens I wondered how bad the crash was. Even in the crit Friday night there were a billion crashes.

Hope she heals fast.

mattover

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
LordOpie said:
Okay, I mis-read that. My apologies.

I'm not sure why everyone on the Net is so cranky.
People go online and get e-arguing skills which are bolstered by e-courage. The loudest on the net are invariably the meekest in person.

Easy rule to follow: only say something to someone on the net if you'd say it to their face. Otherwise, sit still and shut up. :)

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I hear that message too.
I got a concussion, bruises, road rash, and spiral fractured the length of my 2 left leg bones. At age 9 or 10.

not to mention all of the road rash incidents from there on. Road sucks, but I ride it for transportation.

mattover

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
ioscope said:
I hear that message too.
not to mention all of the road rash incidents from there on. Road sucks, but I ride it for transportation.
I try to avoid it wherever possible, but you're right: it's a necessary evil.

Given the damage I seem able to do to myself on the trail, I'd hate to think of what I could do on the road. :)

matt o

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Rider killed in Portland race

The Oregon (USA) cycling community has been plunged into mourning with the news that a 28 year-old cyclist has been killed after crashing inside the final 300 metres of a race at Portland International Raceway. Charles Christiansen, 28, was on the last lap of the 40 mile Tuesday night event when he lost control, hitting his head on a steel and concrete barrier post on the side of the motorcar race track.

Christiansen was wearing a helmet at the time but this proved ineffective at absorbing the impact. Officials with the Portland Fire Bureau said that he probably died straight away.

Race organizer Jeff Mitchem told AP that the rider was moving up in a group sprinting for the finish line when he veered off course, crashing into the barrier.

"As soon as he hit it, the sound was such that we knew it was serious," said Mitchem. He said that medical personnel reached the rider seconds later but were unable to save him. The fatality is the first during a cycling race since a rider was hit by a car in the early 1980s.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Damn! Just when I was toying with the thought of racing next season I read about a near-death and an actual death. Both are unfortunate situations for sure. Healing vibes to the gal from the original story posted in the thread. Condolences to family, friends and loved ones for the guy that died. It sounds like he probably didn't suffer much at all if there's any consolation to be taken.:(
I may still race anyway. Just a couple/few local events...if that.