Quantcast

i've been to the darkside

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Intense Carbine 29 if you can get past the whole "VPP is unrideabru" & "most Intense owners probably wear Tapout" thing.

The 2014 frames can be had for cheap brand-new (old stock) if you look around, and they're functionally identical to the 2015 and 2016 models.

Source: I own one (http://imgur.com/pkHpjZw)

Remember folks, "pick a wheel size, and be a dick about it." :)
damn that thing looks fun as hell :cheers:

Dude. It's the first frame you need to build! You've got the parts, the shop...

Mtbr frame building forum is an amazing resource for teh 4130 building...
fukkk thats a good idea. ill be honest, i have the skills but not the brain. if anything, it will be a simple single pivot.
i feel like making the jig would be the hardest part

anyways... back on topic

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
fukkk thats a good idea. ill be honest, i have the skills but not the brain. if anything, it will be a simple single pivot.

anyways... back on topic
F that, you've got more than enough brains. Everyone here thinks bike engineers are half-witted idiots, so it can't be THAT hard. Plus there are some truly bright individuals who hang out here that I'm sure would be more than happy to guide your design. I know I'm planning on asking a few questions when Im ready to build. I'm leaning toward short travel 29er myself.... It can be done well without a jig, or a jig with very simple materials- it just takes more time and care.

Back on topic:

29ers are fun! yeah, you can flex a wheel more, but that didn't stop me from coming to mountain bike from bmx. 26 carries speed like shit in comparison, and really only increases the fun for me where the trail is too tight to be "fun" anyway. Yeah, 29ers feel vague when pumping, just like every Mountain bike I've ever ridden.
For jumping, of course, smaller wheels are desirable, but so is no suspension, short top tubes, and steep head angles. Everything has its pluses and minuses.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I would suggest a good wheel builder for 29" I had GRAVY in Marin do mine I paid $50 more than a local shop. The bike has been ridden for almost 4 months now and the spokes are still firm and I have not touched them. The bike is ridden 4-5 days a week! I used 14 gauge spokes my wheels where 2100grams complete.......

I weigh 215 and hit shit like a hack BTW.....

Last edited:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
F that, you've got more than enough brains. Everyone here thinks bike engineers are half-witted idiots, so it can't be THAT hard. Plus there are some truly bright individuals who hang out here that I'm sure would be more than happy to guide your design. I know I'm planning on asking a few questions when Im ready to build. I'm leaning toward short travel 29er myself.... It can be done well without a jig, or a jig with very simple materials- it just takes more time and care.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
26 didnt disappeared. actually, more and more bike manufactures are making them again. (after all the fools buoght 27)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if anything, it will be a simple single pivot.

anyways... back on topic
http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/how-to-determine-and-design-leverage-ratios.228427/page-2#post-4094671

To OP: lots of us have discovered that a well built 29er in shorter travel is crazy fun. I went from an enduro to a following and they're both fun bikes...the shorter travel behaves better for my needs though. Each wheelsize has its place. For going out and having fun, it's hard to beat the added traction and faster speeds afforded by 29ers, but you can't get the ease of manhandling a 26" bike without small wheels.