Quantcast

I've finally crawled from the ocean!

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I am catching up to the rest of you higher-ups on the evolutionary chain... I installed disc brakes on my bike today! I know, this would have been exciting news like 4 years ago but what can I say. When you're poor like me you have take things on in a highly prioritized manner and for me, disc brakes were the last thing on my mind.

Anyways, this post is purely self congratulatory. Nothing you should feel you need to respond to. Any tips or tricks I should know about? Anything in particular I need to start carrying with me on rides incase something fails?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
A set of used Hayes Nines I got off eBay. Nothing spectacular, but I think they look bitchin'

Now I can really lock up that rear tire at the end of a long downhill and dust all the hikers fearing I was going to run them over. That's sarcasm.

BTW Stink, I'm still considering on tossing this dog into your yard. I'll even give you my old vbrakes as a token of appreciation. ;)

I wasn't paying too close attention to what I was getting, as far as brand goes. I just wanted something hydrolic and not with the name Avid on 'em. Local lore has told me not to go that route.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Nice. I've had a set of Nines on my Stinky for over a year without a problem. Oh wait, I did kink a line on a ride (my fault) and kept the line straight with a stick and a couple zip ties. Worked great until I could get the line changed.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
macko said:
Any tips or tricks I should know about? Anything in particular I need to start carrying with me on rides incase something fails?
You should find these will be virtually trouble free (at least mine have been). Maybe an occassional adjustment which takes all of about 30 seconds. Congrats- new parts are good!

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
TrainDub, when my schedule finally clears up for a ride I may have to have you show me how to adjust these things. I took it out for a spin today and I think something's a-rubbin'.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
damn, i got rid of my hfx 9's as fast as i could and bought some avid juicy 5's, infinitely more happy with them. better modulation and more comfortable braking. but nonetheless congrats on coming to the hydraulic disc camp.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Ahh, modulation, the thing that everybody talks about, and after years of riding with disks, I still don't give a rat's ass about or really understand why people care so much. Enjoy the brakes Macko!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Without pics how can we tell whether they actually look cool on your bike, or you just have bad tast?

Hayes 9s are some of the finest brakes on the market, no matter the price. That being said have somone show you where the lever adjustment screw is and use some blue locktite on that sumbitch, you will thank me later.

Oh and give StinkBoy your old v-brakes, I sending him a frame soon for Ridemonkey bike #3 and it's v-brake only, and I ain't got any of those left.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hey dumb question...I have a pair of Hayes Mags and I have to grab a ton of lever before I get any power. Anyway to fix this little issue?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
blue said:
Hey dumb question...I have a pair of Hayes Mags and I have to grab a ton of lever before I get any power. Anyway to fix this little issue?
I have the champagne mag brakes. The modulation is good, but they don't have a very strong feel at the end. Would bleeding them fix this? I just put new pads in 2 months ago.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
mtnbrider said:
I have the champagne mag brakes. The modulation is good, but they don't have a very strong feel at the end. Would bleeding them fix this? I just put new pads in 2 months ago.
Shop down the street bled them and put new pads on after I mounted them a few weeks ago (I have no interest in squirting DOT4 fluid all over my apartment, nor do I know anything about hydros). Should I kill the stoner that bled them?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
kinghami3 said:
Ahh, modulation, the thing that everybody talks about, and after years of riding with disks, I still don't give a rat's ass about or really understand why people care so much.
:stupid:

All I know is that my arms get less tired on 3K+ descents and I can lock the tires with less effort. Maybe I'm enjoying the benefits of better modulation and just not realizing it. :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
macko said:
Anything in particular I need to start carrying with me on rides incase something fails?
A torx wrench, whether on a multi-tool or a "T" tool.

macko said:
I wasn't paying too close attention to what I was getting, as far as brand goes. I just wanted something hydrolic and not with the name Avid on 'em. Local lore has told me not to go that route.
:confused: Avid makes the best mechanical and one of the best hydro's on the market. Both are pretty much maintenance-free and easy to work on. Sounds like someone may have given you bad advice.......

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
narlus said:
do they finally ship w/ these:
I'm running a Mono M4 front and a Mono Mini rear. Setup was right on out of the box, though I did have to trim the lines which was a piece of cake. They run silent and are getting more powerful with each ride (they're pretty new yet).

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Anti-Rubbing adjustment tip:

step1: loosen both "caliper" screws (the ones that hold the caliper to the frame)
step 2: squeeze the brake lever tightly

step 3: while still squeezing the lever, tighten the screw back up..

end..... brakes no longer Rub....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Disks are unreal, i hate the argument when people say "when your wheel is locked its locked", when i used to work in a shop everyone used to use that reasoning not to buy disks...

Welcome to the club, they will truely enhance your riding and allow you to carry alot more speed through sections than before...Enjoy!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
narlus said:
congrats!

now if Hope only knew what the hell they did for your set of brakes...
They'd probably get confused trying to figure it out as I'm using two different models and the M4 is the direct IS mount while the Mini is the newer post mount with IS adapter style.