Quantcast

i've never seen any of the star wars movies....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
now, i'm gonna initiate me in star wars nerdomness.
what order should i follow???

chronological release order???
or
following the order of the books????

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm gonna go episode order, simply so you can kind of finish on a high note...

Beware: The first three are relatively...horrible.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm gonna go episode order, simply so you can kind of finish on a high note...

Beware: The first three are relatively...horrible.
Ironically, they can "ruin" Ep4-6 because of their superior special effects.

Ignore the dated look of 4-6, dig into the story and character development and you'll enjoy them more.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ironically, they can "ruin" Ep4-6 because of their superior special effects.

Ignore the dated look of 4-6, dig into the story and character development and you'll enjoy them more.
thats exactly what i've been thinking about.
but i guess it will look dated anyways.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Go IV, V & VI, then I, II & III It will make more since then, plus thats the way they came out
It'd be interesting to hear the perspective of someone who sees them in order.

Like, Yoda fighting in the, was it, Ep2 versus who he is in ep5.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Go IV, V & VI, then I, II & III It will make more since then, plus thats the way they came out
I agree. In addition, since 1, 2, and 3 are horrible, why ruin 4, 5, and 6? Watch 4, 5, and 6 first, the way they came out and love them. Wait a few days and watch 1, 2, and 3, and then hate George Lucas, and suffer like the rest of us!!!!
It'd be interesting to hear the perspective of someone who sees them in order.

Like, Yoda fighting in the, was it, Ep2 versus who he is in ep5.
My wife is a teacher and recently had a student who did just that. Foreign student, adult, had never seen Star Wars. He watched them 1 2 3 4 5 6 order and was dissapointed. He said that givin the chance, next time he'd watch them in 4 5 6 1 2 3 order.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Go IV, V & VI, then I, II & III
That's the way i would suggest as well.

And ignore comments about I thru III. While the first 2 are average the best one by far is III. Sentimentality oozes and clouds peoples views on the flicks.

i'd be curious as to your take on the movies after you get done with them.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Face it, dialogue wise, they all sucked. The new ones were just as painful to listen too as the old ones.

You went for the special effects.

But then again, most people think The Boondock Saints is a cinema masterpiece.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Face it, dialogue wise, they all sucked. The new ones were just as painful to listen too as the old ones.
The original seriers definitely had its share of corn-ball dialogue. But I got the distinct feeling in EpI-III that the actors just didn't care....

And the dude who played Anakin - jeezus was his character whiny and annoying. Even more so than Mark Hamill, if that's possible... :D

"But I was going to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters"

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have seen I, made it part way through II, and can't muster up the motivation for III
Episode III was better, but it's like saying getting punched in the nuts is better than being kicked in the nuts.

I say wtach them 4,5,6,1,2,3. They came out in that order because that's how they are meant to be seen.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There's way too much hate for Ep1-3. Remove Jar Jar from Ep1 and y'all would've had a different view of 2 & 3

Like when R2 was in the hangar at the beginning of 3 being held in the air by two large robots, dumps some oil, then turned on the fire jets, floated away, and roasted those guys... tell me you weren't all, "fvck yeah!" Lots of great moments as well as a good overall story.

And what director has the balls to wholesale slaughter a bunch of children?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
4,5,6 are definitly the good ones to see. 1 was pretty good if you can get over Jar-Jar and 2 and 3 would actually be really go had they gotten a decent actor to play Anikin. Personally I think 4 was the best of the old ones and 2 was the best of the new ones, and I like the 70's special effects a lot more than the new ones, given a few more years CGI will look real, but it was slightly off, whereas 70's special effects don't even come close to looking real, they just look goofy and cool.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I, II, III, IV, V, VI. Yeah, the dialog sucks, but it's the characters that make them good stories. Sit back, enjoy the special effects (each film was cutting edge for its time), and focus on the story of Anakin. (btw, the movies were never based off of books, there were only books based off the movies)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I say wtach them 4,5,6,1,2,3. They came out in that order because that's how they are meant to be seen.
They came out in that order because that's the order in which he thought them up. I don't buy that crap about Lucas having them all thought up way back when.

I think instead of starwars I am going to watch The Matrix Trilogy today. Now there's some stellar acting. I can't wait to hear Keeanu talk about it on Inside The Actors Studio... "So tell me Keeanu... what's your favorite word?" "Huh?"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Here's another vote for 4,5,6,1,2,3.

There were things I didn't like about 1,2,3 (for example Jar Jar) but I enjoyed them. People seem to think that saying 1-3 suck camel dung is a good way to sound like a "real" Star Wars fan. But I'd wager that 99% of the people who say that also own the special edition DVD's.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Man, an Ep3a need to be made...

Obi Wan learning new skills from QuiGon, the battle of Obi Wan trying to teach Luke while his Aunt and Uncle object, but Luke still being master pilot tho not sure why. Han Solo rescuing Chewy from Slavers, avoiding Imperial entanglements, pissing off Jabba, befriending and falling out with Boba Fett. Obi Wan getting drunk in hte Mos Eisley cantina, picking fights.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I saw an interview with Lucas once where he said he seriously considered making one of the new episodes with just Darth and the Emperor going around the galaxy f*cking sh!t up. But he decided that really wasn't relevant to the story he wanted to tell. But it would have been cool.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The only thing in Ep I that was worth a $hit were the light saber battles. They should've skipped the retarded race scene - which was about 20 minutes long IIRC - and spent the time on more light saber battles.

And it would've been better if they'd removed Jar Jar and all those other frog-like things, but then there goes at least 2/3 of the story.

It was a terrible movie.