Quantcast

Izimu Riders?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
So hopefully my time with the session will end soon, and ill have a chance to grab myself a new frame, the choices arent very many, but the izimu is certainly a strong contender, i know there are a few riders on here, so how are they, any issues? will it suit a more heavy riding style? or do they favour skipping over things, enlighten!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
They definitely favor the rider who likes to skip over things and jump their way down the trail. Although, with the correct shock setup, it can pretty much do anything you want. No issues with it for me, there isn't really anything that can go wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. Love it

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
love mine... no issues... 2 bearings..... single pivot.... LOVELY.....

Edit:

Low maintenance bike, very fast... it's an awesome guy, & the Morewood guys are just great fellas... very helpful and down to Earth.

I'll be upgrading to the Makulu soon....

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
It excels while skipping and floating, but I am not very good at that style of riding and I have been on Izimus since 2006. They are very, very good bikes and its hard to find any fault.

If you get one I HIGHLY suggest getting a Cane Creek DB for it though. Make sure to get the new tune and you will be blown away with the performance.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The one issue with the frame is that I get facial cheek cramps from smiling so much every time I ride it.

Seriously, the bike just has awesome handling, and is easy to place the rear end exactly where it needs to be. I like being able to feel exactly what the rear end of the bike is doing even if it means I feel a little more through the pedals. For me, the Izimu just inspires confidence for my riding style, and I feel like I am riding faster because of it.
And oh yeah, get a proper shock for it.;)

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
I love mine as well. The bike really does excel at hopping and doubling in rock sections. I never ridden a bike that corners quite like it does, it just wants to pop out of turns. I'm currently running a vivid on mine and really do like the shock a lot. Probably not as good at the small bump stuff like the DB but a much cheaper option. IMO the vivid suits the bike just fine.

fast_bastard

Chimp
Mar 3, 2009
I had an 05 Izimu, really liked it. The size large is on the small side, and the BB was high, even running a boxxer slammed (it was awhile ago, but I recall it was over 15 inches). I eventually cracked the frame, but I'm a 230 lbs guy, and I dished out some good punishment. If they made larger frames and dropped the BB an inch, I'd ride one forever.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
I have an 07' L frame w/ DHX 5.0, bought it new from Richard at Morewood, built it up and rode it one time.

It's been decorating the wall so pm me if you're interested.

J

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I've been riding one now for a couple weeks. They say I ride it pretty quickly, although I say it's not the bike! ;)

Anyway, it's a good bike! Buy one!

I raced a Morewood back in 06' and the bike was really fun to ride. It had a real lively feel - loved to be jumped and cornered like a crack head looking for a fix. I had a ccdb rear shock and fox 40 up front. Super stiff and quick bike. The company is aces too - especially the guys here in the states. You'll get a little brake jack in steep rock gardens if your a pVssy like me and tend to drag the rear brake, but nothing noticable - it's more of a reminder to get off the brake and let the bike track, which it does very well. Get one and you'll love it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's definitely a very solid bike. I prefer it by quite a big margin to the SX Trail and the Demo 8 I had before it. I really, really wish they offered 3 sizes, but as far as how the bike actually rides, it's really quick yet doesn't spike and can sort of be plowed over stuff too. All in all it's a rad bike.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
i have an 06 izimu with a 06 boxxer ride up front and a 6way for the back( teh sux)
BUT
i still love it to death! i am not the fastest/smoothest rider, but it still rides like its hot, if i get my 6way de-spv'd or a 5.0 i would be "jizzing in my pants":rofl:

but ya, izimu=k.i.s.s(keep it simple, stupid)

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
I gotta disagree with all this skippy stuff everyone is saying.

I have been running mine with a 300lb spring (what TF suggest), but I've got a 350 to swap in because it's way too soft with the 300. It tracks nice but wallows too far in the mid stroke and bottoms out too easily, it rides well on steep, rough tracks at the moment though. I reckon a better shock (currently got a DHX 5) would make the bike worlds better. That being said I reckon the geo is dialled and it pedals pretty well and builds up light real easy (mine is 17.7 with a pretty strong build).

To the dude who said they have high BBs, mine is 14.1" in the middle setting, pretty spot on IMO. I have 175 hones and I've hit them on flat ground after hard corners, hopefully a harder spring will fix it though. It's a race bike though, not anything else, but for what it is intended to do it does well.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
To all riders that feel the Morewoods are a bit short in the cock-pit, write to Morewood and ask for an additional size, its easy!

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
To all riders that feel the Morewoods are a bit short in the cock-pit, write to Morewood and ask for an additional size, its easy!
Oh yeah just so I can disagree with pretty much on everything about the bike, :p I reckon the lge is a great fit for me at 6'1" with 750mm bars and a 55mm stem.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Well man, thats...just your opinion man :)

I say 3 sizes would be better, and with a larger range from shortest to longest.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I gotta disagree with all this skippy stuff everyone is saying.

I have been running mine with a 300lb spring (what TF suggest), but I've got a 350 to swap in because it's way too soft with the 300. It tracks nice but wallows too far in the mid stroke and bottoms out too easily, it rides well on steep, rough tracks at the moment though. I reckon a better shock (currently got a DHX 5) would make the bike worlds better. That being said I reckon the geo is dialled and it pedals pretty well and builds up light real easy (mine is 17.7 with a pretty strong build).

To the dude who said they have high BBs, mine is 14.1" in the middle setting, pretty spot on IMO. I have 175 hones and I've hit them on flat ground after hard corners, hopefully a harder spring will fix it though. It's a race bike though, not anything else, but for what it is intended to do it does well.
The spring is probably what is causing the bike to wallow and bottom too easily. For the given damping in the shock, a soft spring won't hold enough energy to open the shock from deep in the stroke.

Also, the 05 Izimus did have slightly higher BB than the newer models, so its not a direct comparison.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
I had an 08, excellent bike in many ways. Build quality was second to none in my opinion. I had the same issue with wallowing, I had the shock tuned by TF as apparently he said this was a common trait with the 08 dhx, anyways the shock was reshimmed and in terms of suspension the thing ripped.

The issue I had with it though was sizing and geo, I could get it nice and low and slack with the shock in the forwardmost position, which felt good, but the back end was quite long compared to my old sunday, and that compared with a shorter front end (small) meant to be honest it just rode weird in certain situations. The large frame felt too big for me, so yea as everyone has said they need to offer 3 sizes.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I had the same issue with wallowing, I had the shock tuned by TF as apparently he said this was a common trait with the 08 dhx, anyways the shock was reshimmed and in terms of suspension the thing ripped.
Actually the 08s and 09s are running a 2.7:1 leverage ratio and as a result most modern shocks have too much damping. Folks run softer springs to compensate, but the softer springs don't hold enough energy to open the shock back up. Thus causing wallowing.

The new Double Barrel tune is a direct result from testing on the lower leveraged Izimus. The lighter Vivid tunes work well also.